Why are threads moved?

This is a discussion on Why are threads moved? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I posted a legitimate stand alone thread about a concealed carry person defending themselves against a knockout attack in "The Good, Bad, and Ugly" news ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By maxwell97
  • 1 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 2 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Why are threads moved?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Why are threads moved?

I posted a legitimate stand alone thread about a concealed carry person defending themselves against a knockout attack in "The Good, Bad, and Ugly" news forum. It was moved to the middle of a thread related to a long list of knockout stories most of which have no concealed carry person involved.

The thread followed all the rules for the forum near as I can tell, so why was the thread moved to a place few will read it?

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

2. Remove Ads

Probably for consolidation of subject...if I made a guess. If it were the same article or a close subject, the threads would be combined, and the computer puts them in order of date/time.
    If you didn't get an infraction, I don't see the problem.
    Be sure to read the small print under each subtopic in the forum groupings.

If you PM me with more specific info, I can give you a better answer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

retsup is correct. I merged it with another thread of the same topic, this also moved it into another sub-forum.

Part of the logic is to manage the proliferation of similar or alike threads covering the same or similar topics.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Administrator
    And don't forget keeping things tidy. Certain topics tend to get tons of threads posted about the same thing. Zimmerman threads are a good example. It gets annoying, confusing and things become very messy in a hurry.
    rocky likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That's odd.

It's the only event I've seen where a concealed carry person successfully defended themselves against a knockout attack. I thought it would be of interest because so many have wondered if a gun could ever be of any use. In this case it was. That it was could be assigned to the ineptitude of the attacker, who was caught, but that didn't mean it wasn't a unique story.

I'm baffled that the only, or at worst one of the very few stories of it's kind was viewed as so ordinary it had to be thrown in a generic kockout thread where it will be of little or no value. The other stories in that thread were about knockout games, but none of them I saw were stopped by a concealed carry holder.

In my opinion, which means exactly nothing, moving it reduced the value of the forum.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    It was a story about the knockout game. It belongs in the thread about the knockout game. It adds to that conversation well but if the mods started allowing posts about individual incidents we'd quickly be overrun because the media is catching on and these stories are common now and will only become more so.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Because SIXTO. That's all we mortals need to know.

In all seriousness, though sometimes it doesn't work out perfectly and can be inconvenient, I'd ten times rather have my posts moved somewhere every now and then, compared to seeing this forum devolve into the cluster that most forums do. I'm a computer geek at heart, I've spent more time than most nerding around the Internet, and I can't think of a single site I've used that was moderated better than this one. So since we're on the subject: Good job, folks, and thanks.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    It was a story about the knockout game. It belongs in the thread about the knockout game. It adds to that conversation well but if the mods started allowing posts about individual incidents we'd quickly be overrun because the media is catching on and these stories are common now and will only become more so.
    I hope you are right. That stories of successful concealed carry defenses against knockout attackers become so common they would bloat the forum. Hold that thought.

Edited to add: If your logic is applied across the board, there should be one generic home invasion thread in a sub forum someplace.

Peace folks. We can agree to disagree. I'm done with this topic.

Fitch

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Because SIXTO. That's all we mortals need to know.

In all seriousness, though sometimes it doesn't work out perfectly and can be inconvenient, I'd ten times rather have my posts moved somewhere every now and then, compared to seeing this forum devolve into the cluster that most forums do. I'm a computer geek at heart, I've spent more time than most nerding around the Internet, and I can't think of a single site I've used that was moderated better than this one. So since we're on the subject: Good job, folks, and thanks.
    You posted my words before I could write them! THANKS -- and an extra thanks to the moderators who serve us well.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Administrator
    Seems to me like this one is done
    RETSUPT99 and Rock and Glock like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links