Search feature

This is a discussion on Search feature within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Do people not know how to use it? It is getting a little old reading the same topics over and over. Most of the common ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Search feature

Search feature

Do people not know how to use it? It is getting a little old reading the same topics over and over. Most of the common questions have been answered. Sorry for the little rant...
    jenatron and ShooterGranny like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I understand your point but sometimes people want to "talk" about their issue or question rather than read about someone else's.

The easiest thing to do would not read the repeats. Just a thought.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    OD*, blitzburgh and stylus like this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

Human nature at work. I grew up with my parents yelling at me to "look it up in the dictionary" if I didn't know how to spell a word. As a result I tend to do my own research before asking others, but that's probably not a 21st century norm.

That said, the search feature on our forum is passable, but not great. First things first, always elect the "Search Single Content Type", which I think most users have figured out on their own.
    QKShooter, blitzburgh and OD* like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    I have no problem with your rant.

On the flip side of the coin though I would rather that members not feel hesitant about opening up a new discussion thread and asking their questions on any topic even if the same question/questions have been asked before.

We always have a huge continual influx of brand new members and what is "old" to us is always "new" to hundreds of others.

In addition everybody has to start somewhere when they opt to participate instead of just coming on to read so we are always willing to cut them a break.

Hopefully there is always enough going on here that even seasoned members will find something interesting to read even if a small portion of what is active is a rehash of a repetitive topic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    There is one other factor involved: If an older post runs to several pages it could discourage a new member who doesn't yet have the interest or patience to read pages and pages about one subject.

I suppose I'll get flamed for that comment. That's OK.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I have no problem with your rant.

On the flip side of the coin though I would rather that members not feel hesitant about opening up a new discussion thread and asking their questions on any topic even if the same question/questions have been asked before.

We always have a huge continual influx of brand new members and what is "old" to us is always "new" to hundreds of others.

In addition everybody has to start somewhere when they opt to participate instead of just coming on to read so we are always willing to cut them a break.

Hopefully there is always enough going on here that even seasoned members will find something interesting to read even if a small portion of what is active is a rehash of a repetitive topic.
    I do not have a problem with people asking questions, that is what breads good discussion. The frustrating part is when people ask a question that is currently being discussed. All that would need to be done is scroll through the active topics.

For example, when I have a question about a particular firearm, I do a search and if I can't find the information I need I will start a new thread. How any times can we recommend 9mm etc carry guns?
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Administrator
    I hear you. It just seems to be the ongoing ever present reality of Internet forums in general though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by rahmann62 View Post
    Do people not know how to use it? It is getting a little old reading the same topics over and over. Most of the common questions have been answered. Sorry for the little rant...
    The search feature for me has largely been an exercise in futility. I have better luck going to Google and including the forum name in my search for old DC topics. Perhaps you could take this opportunity to educate us on the proper use of the DC search feature.

If everyone merely searched for prior topics, then it wouldn't be called a discussion forum. It'd be a reference library. But then, where did the collected wisdom and experience come from in the first place, in those prior topics? From discussion. Hard to get around that, really. And given that new people are coming and old ones leaving all the time, the collection changes over time. That's a good thing, I'd say.

And so, with any discussion forum worth its salt, you get overlap with the current crop of folks and what they're discussing (as compared to what's been discussed before their time), and you get a goldmine of value littered with slag heaps here and there.

The <advanced search> tool isn't half bad, though for some trickier searches I also find myself using Google to more efficiently find the missing nuggets. Still, <advanced search> does allow you to search where title=something, keyword=somethings, and via date and user-handle. While I can take a bit of wading through, there isn't much I haven't been able to find. Not nearly as efficient as Google or some other search tools out there, but it works. What I'd avoid, though, is any expectation of the generic search box (in the upper-right of all screens) getting you anywhere, as it fails to give the same results as the full, <advanced> search mechanism.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I sort through the long list of postings simply by reading only what I want to read. For instance, do I want to read every comment on a twelve page thread extolling the virtues of Glock ?

Nope!

That's the main reason we have so many icons available to us. Especially

Oh, and by the way, you can always skip the posts you don't want to read. That's what most of us do.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Just don't read them.It's really easy to ignore and move on to something else.
    stylus and Brent95 like this.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    this topic has been discussed before...just kidding.

that's the thing that most people hear on other forums. but here people understand that people want to talk about it and not just read. most people wont go back to a thread they have already posted in unless it is an ongoing discussion that they are interested in. i usually put my $.02 in and get out of there. there are plenty of other threads to read that i havent contributed in already. if it is a topic or discussion that i am interested in, then i will subscribe to it.

i usually always use the search feature and try finding what im looking for. if not on this site i move to google. if im not satisfied or dont understand fully i will start a new thread regarding it. also there are some times that i dont have the time to search for it. so i just ask the question. people dont have to respond but usually always do. this is a great and helpful community here. most people here are willing to help others and thats what makes it great. there are plenty of forums out there that have members who just troll for newbies and bash them about using the search feature, this is not one of them. it is there as a tool. whether you use the tool or not is up to you.
    stylus likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Why did you start a new thread on this old subject?
    Oldpsufan, JD, stylus and 1 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Human nature at work. I grew up with my parents yelling at me to "look it up in the dictionary" if I didn't know how to spell a word. As a result I tend to do my own research before asking others, but that's probably not a 21st century norm.

That said, the search feature on our forum is passable, but not great. First things first, always elect the "Search Single Content Type", which I think most users have figured out on their own.
    I grew up on windows spell-check. I fixed it as I went.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The search feature for me has largely been an exercise in futility. I have better luck going to Google and including the forum name in my search for old DC topics. Perhaps you could take this opportunity to educate us on the proper use of the DC search feature.
    vBulliten's serch engin sucks on every forum I've seen using it.

So you would rather old threads get necro'd back to life until the server begins experiencing indexing errors?

Folks on this forum are used to very small threads of only a couple hundred posts. Imagin the complaints as perpetually necro'd threads grow into the thousands of posts.

And I bet you would still expect that one read all 1,000+ posts as "reserch" before asking their question.
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 13th, 2013 at 02:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links