Virus warnings

Virus warnings

This is a discussion on Virus warnings within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Not every time but about half the time when I log in, I will get a virus warning from a company I do not even ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Virus warnings

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Virus warnings

Not every time but about half the time when I log in, I will get a virus warning from a company I do not even subscribe to nor heard of. To get rid of the warning, I have to turn my computer off and restart.

I have ran Malware, Adware, AVG (paid) and AVG Tune Up. None of them shows anything.

This is the only site I have this and it is only, as said, maybe half the times I log on. Since I do not subscribe to the service issuing the alert, I am not going to click on to it. Due to not getting it every time, I feel it to be imbedded inside some ad or otherwise.

Just passing it out for what it is worth.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

GH
    Several months ago I was getting malware alerts but they eventually stopped appearing. Virus scans detected nothing.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    I uninstalled Windows Messenger when these pop-ups appeared on a brand new laptop, and haven't seen one since.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    This site looks clean to me?

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    First thing is, only install ONE anti-virus software. You do not want to be running Adware, Malware and AVG all at the same time, they compete with each other and will actually make your computer less secure. I suggest getting rid of them and installing Microsoft Security Essentials. It works well and doesn't seem to slow down your computer. It is also good at detecting threats and ignoring things that are not threats due to the large user base.

I don't use the web interface to visit the site (I use tapatalk), but this sounds a lot like "virus alerts" I've seen pop up on many web sites; they're just ads, not actual warnings from your virus scanner or browser.

I find it amusing when I'm browsing from my Linux workstation and I see a popup telling me my Windows installation is at risk...

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

DO NOT click that website, go Microsoft and down load and run their anti, malware removal tool. this has happened to me. lost a hard drive because of it.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.

New Member Array southerncomfort's Avatar
    Sounds like malware. Most AV scanners won't pick malware/ spyware up. In fact most AV is useless. Give malwarebytes a shot. I've used it @ work several times and it's worked pretty well. You can find it here. Malwarebytes : Free Anti-Malware. Feel free to read up on it prior downloading, it's free.
    I've also used the following for good spyware/malware solutions: all are free.

Hijack This - great for hijackers
    Spybot - great for spyware
    Avira - AV solution

If none of that works try getting the error from the company you see on screen and inputting it into Google, you may find a fix. Just be careful in the registry if you have to delete or change keys or values.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    You have some sort of trojan/virus that is spamming that message to you. You probably downloaded a program that you thought was antivirus/anti-malware or allowed a program to install as a tag-along from another program by not declining it (like ask toolbar or something similar). Now, you need to find a way to get rid of it. It is not coming from the web. It is something your PC is already infected with.
    Christopher67 likes this.

Something i was told about last week..Just fyi for those who may not know and might be interested..There is a simple add on for your browser.It's easy for chrome anyway..

It's called "adblock".It should show you how to add to most browsers. It might take 30 seconds to add..The guy running it,asks for a donation(whatever you may choose to send)..I want to see how well it works first..You can stop it on a page if you don't want to use it..I stopped it on DC because some of the ads from sponsors on here i'm interested in. I watched NCIS on CBS recently and no commercials..

It's also easy to remove.You right click on the icon and you will see remove..I use norton anti virus and i have had no problems running adblock.
    Last edited by Brent95; January 7th, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
    Kasey88 likes this.

Thanks Brent.I will check it out for sure.Never heard of it,but so much on here..

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    First thing is, only install ONE anti-virus software. You do not want to be running Adware, Malware and AVG all at the same time, they compete with each other and will actually make your computer less secure. I suggest getting rid of them and installing Microsoft Security Essentials. It works well and doesn't seem to slow down your computer. It is also good at detecting threats and ignoring things that are not threats due to the large user base.

Actually you can have 2 Anti-virus software programs installed at one time, however only have one running in the background at a time. Having more then one installed & ALL of them running at the same time will make your system unstable, not less secure per se. Some anti-virus softwares detect false positives which are not really a threat. To the OP, i would write down whats popping up & google search it. I've been running a distro of linux i like on both my machines for the last 24months & have had 0 issues, but i digress lol. To the OP you could try a couple of online scanners & see what they turn up.

Free Online Virus Scan - Antivirus Software - Trend Micro USA

Free Online Virus Scan - Bitdefender Online Virus Scanner

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

OP, make sure you disable your currently installed virus scanner before using the online scanners.

Brent i just added "adblock".Going to see how it works..I noticed after coming back here,there are no ads just a blue and white screen..I saw how you stop it on a page.Seems pretty simple to use.
    Brent95 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I have virus attacks here that my computer blocks too: I use Eset security on my computer. I also get the same attack on the Taurus forum.

1/7/2014 http://www.cpmservice3.com/js/show_ads.js Blocked by internal blacklist C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

VIP Member
    I also get malware threats from this site...some sort of false/positive reading from one of the ads maybe? I haven't had any today but have had them over the last week or so. I get them mostly when I return to the home page.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links