We need a section for "ordinary" news stories that relate to guns

This is a discussion on We need a section for "ordinary" news stories that relate to guns within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Someone just tried to post a story about the breaking news about the Roswell Middle School shootings in the "In the News" section...but the Admin ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: We need a section for "ordinary" news stories that relate to guns

Someone just tried to post a story about the breaking news about the Roswell Middle School shootings in the "In the News" section...but the Admin locked that thread after the first post.

Locking the thread is appropriate given the rules about that section ("Stop posting any old news story here. This is supposed to be about self defense topics, not a dumping ground for anything you find interesting. This has been made clear in the past, but its getting out of hand again.").

But that doesn't give us much choice to post something important like that, and certainly doesn't give other members of the forum a "natural" place to look for info on this kind of story...where do I search for it? In "Concealed Carry Issues"...doesn't seem appropriate there. In the "General Firearms" discussion, or the "Second Amendment" section? Those don't seem appropriate either.

See what I mean?

VIP Member
    Terrorism, be it a whacked-out active shooter in wherever or a suicide bomber somewhere else, fits easily here:Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    How about a thread like our "random thoughts" but I suppose somebody would say the wrong thing and it would get locked up.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

JD
    Administrator
    How about "General Firearms" (The place for general firearms and shooting discussions that may not fit well in the forums focusing on concealed carry.) or "Off Topic and Humor" (This forum is for comments or questions that are off topic or don't fit into any other forum)

It's almost like the people that made this forum had an idea on where to put such items.

More often than not....they belong in Off-Topic. I've asked the owners a few times to Rename the "In the News" section but they haven't...

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Perhaps someone like an administrator could move those threads there and tell the OP, rather than just lock them down?
    mano3 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Perhaps someone like an administrator could move those threads there and tell the OP, rather than just lock them down?
    They usually do, but there is one forum for which such patience was lost awhile ago.
    DontTreadOnI and SIXTO like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Self-Defense News -- News articles strictly related to self-defense situations, not merely being shot/stabbed/killed without any apparent self-defense technique or tool or lesson to be learned.

Second Amendment & LE -- things related specifically to 2A and/or LE.

Off-Topic -- News items that don't fit into either of those other two categories. Ought to be a good spot for anything else appearing in the news that might be of interest but which doesn't clearly represent a self-defense scenario or relate to the 2A/LE.

Should work just fine.

Agreed, that the unceremonious closing of threads instead of moving them seems a bit harsh. But then, it gets the point across in ways just handling it wouldn't. Good lesson to folks, if nothing else.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    It's Been An On Going Battle with that section for a LONG time. We're all volunteer staff and quite simply we did not have the time to move and tell every poster putting threads there. We've tried it in the past and even people that should know better just don't get the point.

We're looking at ways to "fix" the problem again.

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

Administrator
    Just so we are clear, threads are locked and left there for all to see for a reason; hopefully people get the point sooner or later. Most have, but some have not.

Every time something gun or shooting related hits the news, there are ten threads that pop up all on the same story. It get old after a while, especially when it's the same people doing it over and over again. If the headline is more that a few hours old, good chance it's here already. Look for it before you post another. Also, it would be helpful when you do post a news story, use the headline in your thread title. That way, other members know what it's about and can scan before they repost.

Lastly, if you can't figure out where it should go, perhaps it doesn't belong here at all.

My stance is we do not need anymore sub forums to further junk up DC.com. If you want to read and discuss human interest stories, there are plenty of forums for that. We should stick with our focus, that's what we do and what we are good at.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In which subsection do we get to talk about our feelings???
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    It depends...Do you feel like getting infraction points? Post one more non-self-defense-related topic in the good, bad and ugly forum.
    William T. Sherman

Administrator
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/bob-terrys-place/

Coming soon, the Dr. Phil section.
    BugDude and Rock and Glock like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

GoTellAPriest.org
    BugDude likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just so we are clear, threads are locked and left there for all to see for a reason; hopefully people get the point sooner or later. Most have, but some have not.

Every time something gun or shooting related hits the news, there are ten threads that pop up all on the same story. It get old after a while, especially when it's the same people doing it over and over again. If the headline is more that a few hours old, good chance it's here already. Look for it before you post another. Also, it would be helpful when you do post a news story, use the headline in your thread title. That way, other members know what it's about and can scan before they repost.

Lastly, if you can't figure out where it should go, perhaps it doesn't belong here at all.

My stance is we do not need anymore sub forums to further junk up DC.com. If you want to read and discuss human interest stories, there are plenty of forums for that. We should stick with our focus, that's what we do and what we are good at.
    SIXTO,

I had to take some time to respond to this...

First, let me say that I really like DC.com; it's one of my favorite sites, and I visit almost every day. While I can't know how much time the moderators have to spend on maintaining this site, I have to guess that's it's considerable, and I appreciate that work.

However, I don't agree with you on this topic AT ALL. You consider school shooting news stories to be "human interest" stories? Really? REALLY?

I would think that stories like these are part of the whole reason why members joined this site to begin with: to inform themselves about all aspects of our "gun culture" and 2nd Amendment rights, including those stories about horrific crimes committed using guns. How else will we, as ambassadors of 2nd Amendment rights, counter the invariable arguments and cries of the anti-gun crowd when these events occur?

I think I can understand that this can "get old" for the moderators to see ten threads about a single news event...but don't you think that part of why you see 10 threads for an event of this kind is because each poster: a.) thinks it's important, and b.) isn't sure exactly where to put it? Yes, I know that part of the reason why you see 10 threads for a single event is because the poster didn't use the Search function before posting; I've been guilty of that myself. Having people post the headline (or at least some key words) would indeed be helpful, as you mention.

I'm not sure why more sub forums would "junk up DC.com"...I know from my viewpoint as a user, it makes no difference to me if I go to 3 sub forums or 7 sub forums to scan for interesting posts; is it more difficult to manage from moderator's viewpoint? If so, I can see your reluctance to add any new ones.

As I mentioned in my original post, I had no problem with the thread on the shooting being locked, since it didn't refer to a self-defense news story specifically. But I still think we SHOULD be able to post about school shootings or other disastrous/horrendous "gun related" events SOMEWHERE in this forum. Maybe in the "Law Enforcement" section, as suggested by Mike1956?

Of course, as the "owners" of the forum, the moderators have the final say, but I do think you should consider your users.

Thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post
    However, I don't agree with you on this topic AT ALL. You consider school shooting news stories to be "human interest" stories? Really? REALLY?

I would think that stories like these are part of the whole reason why members joined this site to begin with: to inform themselves about all aspects of ...
    ... all the impacts such situations create. Schools must defend themselves, in terms of fortification, procedures and response. At some point, they'll begin to get a handle on these things and it'll show up in the results. If nothing else, such news stories serve to kick around the vital nature of such preparations and responses. And by any standard, that's self-defense, is it not, even though the "response" is weak at this point on the learning curve?

I think I can understand that this can "get old" for the moderators to see ten threads about a single news event.
    It's nearly as simple to MERGE each new, extraneous instance of a thread as it is to close it. Particularly when there are posts of value in a given instance of a topic, I'd strongly suggest doing a merge instead of a zap or closing. Retaining separate threads on the same topic is just plain confusing. No need to not do merging, given how simple it is in vB to accomplish.

Far more politic, as well, to merge as an assist instead of zapping unceremoniously. Walking softly with that big stick, and all.

Having people post the headline (or at least some key words) would indeed be helpful, as you mention.
    Very important tip for anyone who posts anything. Vague "teaser" titles that give zero clue to the topic do nobody any good, forcing people to read it fully to get a clue, more likely prompting far more to simply skip the thread as an irrelevancy. Vague titles shoot ourselves in our own feet, whenever they're done, and are a big contributor to causing this problem of duplicate threads IMO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links