Old Threads New Thoughts

Old Threads New Thoughts

This is a discussion on Old Threads New Thoughts within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; This question is not meant to stir any pots or to throw any Mods. under the bus . But i was wondering some old threads ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Old Threads New Thoughts

VIP Member

Old Threads New Thoughts

This question is not meant to stir any pots or to throw any Mods. under the bus . But i was wondering some old threads that are brought back are closed soon after opening .

So is it better to start up a new thread or do the Mods. want the old threads opened back up . I was always under the impression that opening up old threads were better then starting new ones . ????????
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Administrator
    The answer would be that it just depends. Some of the really ancient threads that contain information that may possibly be outdated or started by members who are no longer active etc. may just get closed.

Some moderators may view an old thread and elect to close it and other mods may actually jump in and participate in an old thread.

I do not think that there is any exact formula for determining which threads remain open and which ones get closed. We have a team of Moderators who are not clones of one another nor would we want to be.

All of the Mods could all try to get on the exact same page on every Moderator issue but, that would be too much like work.

You can always open up a new thread in any area of the forum. No problem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

JD
    Administrator
    There is no right answer. It really depends on the thread in question. If it's a thread fron 2006 where someone is asking on which of 3 guns to buy, we can probably go with just not posting to it period.

If the post doesn't really add to the thread with some sort of update, change in law, new info etc. Probably shouldn't be posted to.

If the first sentence in the post reviving the dead thread starts with " I didn't bother reading over 4 pages of responses so excuse me if this had been said" you will probably get your post deleted...

But, if you've read through the thread and reviving it makes sense in a logical and realistic manner, have at it. We won't electrocute you for reviving a dead thread if it's really worth it.

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

I enjoy a good Frankenthread.
    TheBigWanad and NONAME762 like this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

VIP Member
    Thank You , Gentlemen .
    Aceoky likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Like many, I have participated in a handful of other discussion forums on various topics. "It depends" really is the answer, from what I've seen. My own personal gauge as to whether to post to an older thread is whether the post is an actual contribution and is currently relevant. If the OP is long gone and the questions asked no longer relevant, it doesn't make much sense to post into that thread. But if it's a debate topic that has become a current news item and it's a good launching point for the new contributions likely to come, it seems clear resurrecting an oldie-but-goody might be preferable.

One way to clarify, on a "resurrecting" post: specify clearly why the old thread is being posted to, at the outset. Helps any moderators get the idea, straight away, helping them to judge accordingly. If there's good reason for resurrecting instead of a new thread, it's hard to imagine unceremoniously shutting one down "just because."
    RebelSoul likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    This question is not meant to stir any pots or to throw any Mods under the bus . But i was wondering some old threads that are brought back are closed soon after opening .
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762
    Hay Welder that's MY JOB!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by welder516
    So is it better to start up a new thread or do the Mods. want the old threads opened back up . I was always under the

impression that opening up old threads were better then starting new ones . ????????
    Long b4 I got here another website I used to be on had a Mod there with absolutely no sense of humor. For all I know he could have been Fineswine's kid bother. He thought he was God like too and as such commanded respect and tribute. He got neither from me.

This particular website had the bad habit of locking down discussions after 90 days. To reopen a 3 month old thread there was tantamount to spiting on the Statue of Liberty or something like that.
    welder516 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I have found lots of older threads useful for info on particular gun models. Sometimes they contain the only info to be found.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Distinguished Member
    I've been goosed a couple of times for opening old stuff from members (not mods), but some of it remains pertinent - at least for me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
    I have found lots of older threads useful for info on particular gun models. Sometimes they contain the only info to be found.
    Yup.

Like a discussion on the Browning BDM 9mm from the 1990's. Who in his right mind would craft a brand new thread when a handful of fairly info-rich ones exist from several years ago? It's not as though more than a few folks have ever heard of the thing anyway, let alone have any useful new data to add. Particularly if asking further questions or offering up useful info to add to the pile, in such a case resurrecting an old thread seems far better than rolling the dice on a new one. (BTW: had a BDM back when, and know that there are only a couple decent BDM-related threads here.)

I agree totally. That thread started on 1911's when they were new was the best, especially those posts by JMB. Who'd of thought those things would be around 103 years later.............

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I agree totally. That thread started on 1911's when they were new was the best, especially those posts by JMB. Who'd of thought those things would be around 103 years later.............
    If you say so. Some of us aren't "older 'n dirt" here, on the forum, R&G.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Rock & Glock , seems you threw yourself under the bus .
    Member of the NRA
    1775 Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Rock & Glock , seems you threw yourself under the bus .
    Well, or I did. I'll know soon enough.

No bus here............

welder516, Aceoky and bmcgilvray like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links