Stop quoting the OP

Stop quoting the OP

This is a discussion on Stop quoting the OP within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I have noticed time and time again members are clogging up threads with pointless OP quotes. I think this issue needs to be addressed. No ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Stop quoting the OP

Senior Member Array Addictedhealer's Avatar

Stop quoting the OP

I have noticed time and time again members are clogging up threads with pointless OP quotes. I think this issue needs to be addressed. No reason to quote the OP he or she obviously knows you are talking to them. If you are commenting on other members (NOT OP) post then obviously quotes are necessary.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedhealer View Post
    I have noticed time and time again members are clogging up threads with pointless OP quotes. I think this issue needs to be addressed. No reason to quote the OP he or she obviously knows you are talking to them. If you are commenting on other members (NOT OP) post then obviously quotes are necessary.

I agree.
    Vuva3rae, JDE101, Jaeger and 6 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Especially where photos are involved.No one needs to see posts with the same photos over and over again.
    JDE101, Vuva3rae, DingBat and 1 others like this.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

I don't always use missiles, but when I do it's the Minuteman III LGM-30G

VIP Member

After a thread has run three or four pages, everybody is responding to everybody, so unless the post being responded to is quoted, it becomes hard to tell who is responding to who.
    OldVet, kukla, Aceoky and 13 others like this.
    "Preparation and mindset are everything. Allowing one's mouth to write checks that one's butt is unable or unwilling to cash is foolish."

Mike has a good point. Though it is annoying if the OP was long and full of pics. I've found it' not that hard to edit the OP down, remove the pics, and even highlight the part you may be responding too.

but yeah, quoting a whole OP when yours is response #4 is silly
    JDE101, nortelrye and Brad426 like this.
    "I tried talking them down. ...they made a grab for the girl. After that it was a short conversation."

"I am Wrath. I am Steel. I am the Mercy of Angels."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post

but yeah, quoting a whole OP when yours is response #4 is silly
    I saw what you did there, so I trimmed it a little.
    Aceoky, vice87, niks and 3 others like this.
    "Preparation and mindset are everything. Allowing one's mouth to write checks that one's butt is unable or unwilling to cash is foolish."

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    If you think quoting an OP is bad here you should see a football forum I belong to. They have quotes within quotes within quotes, that goes on like a mirror reflecting another mirror. It's maddening.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    If you think quoting an OP is bad here you should see a football forum I belong to. They have quotes within quotes within quotes, that goes on like a mirror reflecting another mirror. It's maddening.
    That is how the old Yahoo groups used to work. The board designers corrected it so much that most of them are now defunct, having become too difficult to navigate. They have also messed up Yahoo mail by fixing problems which weren't really problems.
    JDE101 and Aceoky like this.

Especially where photos are involved.No one needs to see posts with the same photos over and over again.
    I agree with this most of all. Wasteful space.
    JDE101 likes this.

Yep.

Distinguished Member

I agree completely.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF - CCRKBA
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Typically, for clarity purposes, I will only quote and high light certain portions of the OP's post, if required. In a very dense thread, I will address the OP from the beginning.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Ex Member

Yes you are but hey. I argue with EVERYONE.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I agree. But hey, I've never figured out how people manage to put quotes from several different people in one message. I guess I'm just a little slow.
    DingBat likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I agree. But hey, I've never figured out how people manage to put quotes from several different people in one message. I guess I'm just a little slow.
    just to the right of "Reply With Quote" is a "+ symbol, bottom right corner of a post, click it and it will highlight with a checkmark, do this to all the posts you wish to reply too, then scroll to the bottom and hit the blue button

+Reply to Thread - this button is on the bottom left. this will then open a reply window with all the posts you selected.
    "I tried talking them down. ...they made a grab for the girl. After that it was a short conversation."

"I am Wrath. I am Steel. I am the Mercy of Angels."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links