Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possible help for folks with image problems.

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  P95Carry 
#1 ·
Bud suggested I post a link here to IMAGE MATTERS , as someone (Tire Iron I believe) is struggling it seems to resize some pics.

Over on THR I found that some folks were having problems resizing pics and generally not having enough info on all that surrounds digital imaging generally.

To try and help that I made up a small mini site for reference - it is covering quite a lot tho maybe not all, some pretty basic, but the hope is that if people browse around it they should find something of use. The section on posting pics was for earlier VBulletin version but broadly it still can help until I update it.

A very handy freebie (still is I am sure) called IrfanView is handy for folks to get if they have no fancy imaging software . http://www.irfanview.com/ - with that they can do quite a bit of resizing and also compress file sizes down to reasonable levels. The plug-ins are also handy BTW for other things. Visit the site anyways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Late addition - and re posting pics here - go to - Help and Information - and then select the link for pic' posting help.

See less See more
#3 ·
Arkie, welcome and thx for that link - could be useful for some tho - if possible it is good to have control on own machine so as to better be able tailor results.

#6 ·
Arkie - true enough it could help and thx again for the mention. No way wanting to put that down as inferior :wink:

Just that where possible I think folks benefit from some small app', like Irfanview so they have what they want right there all the time.

Bud - welcome dude. :smile:

#7 ·
May I add, as the site does not necessarily explain resizing as a total specific.

For use on a forum like this - the picture size in pixels needs to be if possible kept to under 800 pixels max in largest dimension. If someone is only running 800x600 res' which is admitedly not so common now, even then the pic will be bigger than their display screen!

I try to keep my max at 700 pix width or height max. a good standard dimension most people can choose in pre-set resizing options is 640x480 and that'll be enough for most things.

Another downside of monster pics is file size. I usually compress my pics even of 700 pix max size down to about 60k as a JPG - this will not degrade image much at all to the observer.

Very often we have pics of 1280 x 1024 and bigger - lightly compressed and being perhaps half a meg big!! Even on fast connections this is a large burden and for dial-up folks - seriously slow.

So - around 640x480 and 50 to 60k is great, for everyone - apart maybe from odd times when a scanned page for example,or similar needs shown, which is a special case.

#10 ·
I have just added a page - in an attempt to further demystify the structure of digital images - in the hope that it might help separate the three aspects - physical (printed) size, web size (pixels on screen) and saved file size.

If interested take a look at The Anatomy of the Digital Image , which I hope might for a few explain more about it.

#14 ·
Hahaha - oh well, the infamous pic of me shooting last summer in the heat - shorts (shudder), ''chicken legs'' (another shudder) - and white socks and open sandles!!

Seemed to amuse the crowds tho LOL! I shall not live it down - probably will make sure I go in the casket with same dress - and my SIG 226 as well :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.