Usergroups, titles and ranks explained
I get asked this often enough that I thought it would be helpful to put it into a post. Sort of late to be doing after four years, but, nevertheless, here it is....
Everyone on the forum belongs to one or more user groups. These groups are primarily used to assign access to certain areas of the forum, the sponsor area, the staff area. They are also used to grant rights for things such as maximum number of PMs to retain, size of photos allowed, etc. Usergroups are important to the vBulletin software and myself. Although every user group is not listed here, here are the primary ones:
- "Members" - name tag is black in color. This is the general membership.
- "Contributing Members" - name tag is purple. These members have contributed to the forum financially to keep it alive and well. This group includes our commercial sponsors. Members in this group have the "Site Supporter" graphic displayed in their postbit.
- "Special Member" - name tag is green. These members, regardless of previous group are those that have, in the past, been very important to the forum but have left because of serious health issues or have passed away.
- "Administrators" - name tag is dark red.
- "Assistant Administrators" - name tag is bright red.
- "Lead Moderators" - name tag is orange.
- "Senior Moderators" - name tag is blue.
- "Moderators" - name tag is teal blue.
Titles change as members post counts increase. It is an arbitrary title and has no bearing on how long one has been a member. We have some members that have been here since the beginning and are still classified as "New Members" and people that have been here just a short time and have changed titles multiple times. The exception to this is staff who have their title changed depending on their role in the forum.
- "New Member" 0-14 posts
- "Member" 15-499 posts
- "Senior Member" 500-1199 posts
- "Distinguished Member" 1200-1999 posts
- "VIP Member" 2000+ posts
Ranks, denoted by a number of red stars under the title, are arbitrary as well. As post counts increase, the number of stars increase to a maximum of 5. Staff members all have 6 stars.
- 0 posts - no stars
- 5+ posts - 1-star
- 50+ posts - 2 stars
- 250+ posts - 3 stars
- 500+ posts - 4 stars
- 1000+ posts- 5 stars
- Staff regardless of post count - 6 stars
Interesting enough, there is no relationship between ranks and titles. Don't ask me why, I guess I had my head somewhere it shouldn't have been when I set it all up years ago. I would change it now, but every time I have changed either ranks or titles in the past, some people feel like they have been demoted.
If there's anything I've missed, don't hesitate to ask.
Defensive Carry Anonymous
Yikes! I had to join DC Anon under pressure from Nancy.........actually it was the dogs missing their play time.
Originally Posted by Bumper
It is a great place, informative and well run, as well as polite. Thank you, Bumper! And Thank you to all of the administrators and moderators!
Now, do I get to hear the "Pink" story.....? :hand5: