Usergroups, titles and ranks explained

This is a discussion on Usergroups, titles and ranks explained within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I get asked this often enough that I thought it would be helpful to put it into a post. Sort of late to be doing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Usergroups, titles and ranks explained

DC Founder

I get asked this often enough that I thought it would be helpful to put it into a post. Sort of late to be doing after four years, but, nevertheless, here it is....

Everyone on the forum belongs to one or more user groups. These groups are primarily used to assign access to certain areas of the forum, the sponsor area, the staff area. They are also used to grant rights for things such as maximum number of PMs to retain, size of photos allowed, etc. Usergroups are important to the vBulletin software and myself. Although every user group is not listed here, here are the primary ones:

User groups

• "Members" - name tag is black in color. This is the general membership.
    • "Contributing Members" - name tag is purple. These members have contributed to the forum financially to keep it alive and well. This group includes our commercial sponsors. Members in this group have the "Site Supporter" graphic displayed in their postbit.
    • "Special Member" - name tag is green. These members, regardless of previous group are those that have, in the past, been very important to the forum but have left because of serious health issues or have passed away.
    • "Administrators" - name tag is dark red.
    • "Assistant Administrators" - name tag is bright red.
    • "Lead Moderators" - name tag is orange.
    • "Senior Moderators" - name tag is blue.
    • "Moderators" - name tag is teal blue.

Titles change as members post counts increase. It is an arbitrary title and has no bearing on how long one has been a member. We have some members that have been here since the beginning and are still classified as "New Members" and people that have been here just a short time and have changed titles multiple times. The exception to this is staff who have their title changed depending on their role in the forum.

Titles

• "New Member" 0-14 posts
    • "Member" 15-499 posts
    • "Senior Member" 500-1199 posts
    • "Distinguished Member" 1200-1999 posts
    • "VIP Member" 2000+ posts

Ranks, denoted by a number of red stars under the title, are arbitrary as well. As post counts increase, the number of stars increase to a maximum of 5. Staff members all have 6 stars.

Rank

• 0 posts - no stars
    • 5+ posts - 1-star
    • 50+ posts - 2 stars
    • 250+ posts - 3 stars
    • 500+ posts - 4 stars
    • 1000+ posts- 5 stars
    • Staff regardless of post count - 6 stars

Interesting enough, there is no relationship between ranks and titles. Don't ask me why, I guess I had my head somewhere it shouldn't have been when I set it all up years ago. I would change it now, but every time I have changed either ranks or titles in the past, some people feel like they have been demoted.

If there's anything I've missed, don't hesitate to ask.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

JD
    Administrator

Yeah, you left out "Mr. Pink".

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yeah, you left out "Mr. Pink".
    I'll leave that for you to explain since you told it on yourself, JD.....
    Bumper

In my opinion, anyone who gains anything from being on this forum should become a supporter. Five or ten dollars won't hurt you---when the gasoline prices get to $5 a gallon you ought to be spending more time at home anyway, and what better place to spend a few dollars where others can answer your questions, further your CCW options or gain knowledge of your firearms and continue your education about such things, sell your firearms or related accessories and make some friends, partners, or future business relationships. Making a donation today would most likely be an investment in the future for you and whatever you do. That's just my opinion. I have alot of opinions, I've learned alot, made some good deals with members, and will continue to support this site as long as it exists.

Ok whats mr. pinky?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Ok whats mr. pinky?
    It goes back to when Bumper made us low level mods orange instead of black, this was obviously before we became "teal blue", I was complaining about the orange, and thinking of all the colors and stuff reminded me of Reservoir Dogs and said something along the lines of "I'd better be quiet or Bumper will make me Mr. Pink" and all of a sudden I had Mr. Pink under my screen name.

I wish I had gotten a screen shot of that. It was only up for a day or two, but it sure was funny.

IIRC, you have used your mod superpowers to change peoples signature
    I speak from experience
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    I've got an idea.

If you are from a pro-gun state....make the name Gray.
    If you are from an anti-gun state..make the name Blue.
    If you are from California, make the name Pink.

That will explain some of the mentalitys that reside here.

pittypat21 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you are from California, make the name Pink
    Discrimination isn't bad if it gets a message across. I've felt sorry for the people in California long enough IMO. .Although they're our brothers and all, I'd kind of like to wash my hands of it, hope the best for them, and worry about it no longer. I'm not saying it's worthless totally, it just is what it is, and it appears it's too late for any of us to help.

Administrator
    I tell people all the time that I'm a 5 star VIP contributing member, but nobody cares.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I care.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

DC Founder
    Thanks, Ram Rod, we appreciate the support of our members and the way people step up when we have an obvious problem requiring more resources.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I tell people all the time that I'm a 5 star VIP contributing member, but nobody cares.
    Hey, Sixto, I care. No, really, I do....

Seriously, it amazes me how supportive our members are of the forum. Good bunch of people and, statistically, a better group than most forums enjoy IMHO.

I watch the list of who's on and if you do that for awhile you will notice just how much time many of you spend here. When you look at post counts, it's downright scary at times....
    Bumper

Defensive Carry Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post

I watch the list of who's on and if you do that for awhile you will notice just how much time many of you spend here.
    Yikes! I had to join DC Anon under pressure from Nancy.........actually it was the dogs missing their play time.

It is a great place, informative and well run, as well as polite. Thank you, Bumper! And Thank you to all of the administrators and moderators!

Now, do I get to hear the "Pink" story.....?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Now, do I get to hear the "Pink" story.....?
    It wasn't very long, you probably skimmed right over it. Post #6.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    In my opinion, anyone who gains anything from being on this forum should become a supporter. Five or ten dollars won't hurt you---when the gasoline prices get to $5 a gallon you ought to be spending more time at home anyway, and what better place to spend a few dollars where others can answer your questions, further your CCW options or gain knowledge of your firearms and continue your education about such things, sell your firearms or related accessories and make some friends, partners, or future business relationships. Making a donation today would most likely be an investment in the future for you and whatever you do. That's just my opinion. I have alot of opinions, I've learned alot, made some good deals with members, and will continue to support this site as long as it exists.

+1 on this. I know that even a small contribution would help the forum along. It is a great resource, and I have learned much from being a member.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links