Some things need to be addressed...

This is a discussion on Some things need to be addressed... within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by BugDude I've got young kids, so I have had to get very creative about expressing myself in sesame street terms around the ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Some things need to be addressed...

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've got young kids, so I have had to get very creative about expressing myself in sesame street terms around the house when I stump my toe. With work e-mails scanned for words, I've been in a habit for years of symboling out parts of certain words (old habit, not intentionally breaking the work around rule). I consider taking The Lord's name in vain and the f bomb to be most offensive. I'm also operating under the impression that curse words (and workarounds) that sound similar to bass, shell, ham, and spit are among those that should not be used or worked around. I want to know and follow the rules explicitly. I appreciate the forum, the people, the information, and the advice. I want to learn and contribute. Thanks.
    You're on the right track. If you think "Oh man, I can't use that word, I'll use just a few #_$*#_$**$ instead of a few characters or I'll use that really cool slang word from Battle Star Galactica..."...just don't do it.

BS is OK to use, "ass" is OK pending on usage (not directed at members, PITA) damn by itself isn't an issue...

If you do slip, it's not a big issue, but lately there's just been a lot of it. When it becomes an issue is when: A. The member makes a big stink fuss about the edit, even if it's just a warning and B. Continued use of profanity after warnings/infractions.

We all make mistakes, we slip up and sometimes our fingers are just on auto pilot typing what we're thinking.

2. Remove Ads

Cool...sounds reasonable to me. "kids mode" filter should do the trick.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Well, I'm a member of some dozen forums. They all have rules. The majority of them are owned and operated by a single person, and they don't give warnings. At least here, you get fair warning that your world is about to tumble.

I've seen flaming wars destroy forums because either the forum was not moderated, or the owner was ineffective. My rule is not to discuss sex, politics, religion, or football on these forums. As Jack used to say: ". . . Just the facts, Ma'am, just the facts".
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

If you act like an ass, you're on your way out of here PDQ!
    reported for use of foul language...

on a more serious note (which is a note i don't normally sing), i do appreciate the work most of the mods put in here. i realize this ain't exactly a paying gig, and it cuts into your personal time, so i can understand the aggravation that comes aong with trying to keep this place orderly.

i belong to a few other forums that allow more leeway in terms of language and content. while i may not always like so many rules, i understand why they're there, and i try to abide by them (though i do admit to slipping on occasion).

keep up the good work, guys.

I think that if I can attain the discipline to accept and implement all the responsibilities of CC, then I should have no problem cleaning up my language as just another part of the whole program. This is the way I approach it and it has worked so far.
    That and my 2-1/2 year old grandson who gets enough bad words from his nana.

I learned the hard way from posting about a particularly upsetting incident. But JD please never remove my only infraction on my list cuz it was from Terry and I want it to stay there.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Excellent post.
    My thoughts exactly !!!

That is how a good forum turns bad; anybody remembers PDO ???
    That particular situation turned me off to internet forums for a long time. I joined two later on out of sheer necessity (mechanical forums for my motorcycle and my truck) and have to say the one with the stricter mods is actually a much more peaceful and overall helpful forum.

I lurked here for a while and finally decided that the "iron-fist" of the Mods was good enough for me. Glad to see someone who cares more about the common good than just their own point of view.

Semper Fi
    Last edited by HardCorps79; December 21st, 2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo

That's where I came here from. In all honesty, if we ever get to the point where the forum is that bad, I'll beg Bumper for the broom and clean house.
    I also found DC when PDO became a troll farm. It was sad to see a site that once was good go down hill so amazingly fast.

I appreciate all the work that Bumper and every single one of the admins do for this site to keep it as great as it is.

I agree with everything you said JD and if you need help with the broom if it ever comes to it, I have my own and I'd be happy to hold sweepers with you!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Love The Guidelines didnt ever read it till now to bad this stuff seems like common sense. But yall keep up the good work!!!!

JD [OP]
    Administrator

1: If you get an infraction, a formal warning, or just a friendly PM regarding an edit for language etc. It IS NOT good form to report someone else doing the same thing with a “This member did it too, where’s their infraction?” type attitude. We greatly appreciate the reporting of posts, but if you do it just to be an ass, well I’ll probably just ban you. In short, don’t act like a tool if you get a post edited. Furthermore, who gets what infraction is none of your business. We don’t discuss your penalties with other members, we won’t discuss other’s infractions with you. If you and someone else are acting like tools, odds are you both got infractions, don’t worry about the other guy; just worry about YOU. If you do get an infraction that you think was unjust, all you have to do is PM a higher ranking staff member. There is a chain of command here, use it. If you get an infraction and start sending inflammatory PMs to the issuer, you’re probably going to be banned. Also, “POS” is a language workaround, stop using it.

2: NO POLITICS that aren’t related to firearms. I don’t know how to put this in any plainer English. If you start a political thread, it’s going to get pulled and you’re getting points, once you hit 50, you’re gone. This has been policy for quite some time. If you see a thread that’s a political thread, DON’T POST TO IT, if your post is political in nature; you’re going to get an infraction as well. If you can't post something without throwing out some political agenda for the Libertarians, Conservatives, Democrats, Liberals, Semi-Conservitiverepublicrats...whatever. DON'T POST IT.

3: Toughen up. Lately there has been so much whining and sniveling going on it makes me sick, and yes if you can’t tell, I’m kind of cheesed off about the state of things lately.

A. Before you report a post, take a moment to think about what the real issue is. If someone’s avatar of a loaded gun being pointed at the camera “offends you”…well I don’t know what you’re doing on this forum. It’s a digital image, IT CAN’T HURT YOU. This has come up several times and is not pointed at anyone in particular. If the shoe fits, wear it.

B. The simple mention or use of certain words IE: “god” or a personal belief does not a religious debate / discussion make. If it starts to turn a thread into a debate, we’ll take care of it. Also, if you take offense to a certain word that is not covered by the forum rules, IE other than cuss words, or discrimination due to sex, religion, ethnicity, race, or political views; GET OVER IT. If you see a thread titled “Church Deacons that Carry” or “Carry at Religious Services” etc, and all forms of religion offend you, don’t open the thread. The topic is related to our focus and I expect anyone legally packing a gun to be adult enough to NOT click on something that you have no interest in and then report it just to make a stink. Also, we the staff do not find “Redneck” to be a racial slur, so stop reporting it unless it’s being used as some sort of direct attack.

4. Multiple accounts. If for some reason you want a name change, you need to talk to Bumper or another admin, simply creating a new account is NOT a good idea. Multiple accounts are not allowed. There are some cases where computers are used jointly, we’re pretty good about picking those up. But if you have two accounts, you better send myself and the Admins a PM pretty quick. Odds are if you have multiple accounts and have not been banned yet, it’s just because we’re logging your IP addresses for future use to find you. One the same note, if you do get banned, don’t try to sneak back in. WE WILL find your account, we will ban your account.

To date there is one guy that I’ve banned over 30 times, some have had 5-7 accounts, they try to mask their IPs, they try to use proxy servers, they try to use different emails, birth dates, different locations, you name it, they all get caught eventually. If you get removed from the forum, go find another forum’s members to aggravate, PERMANENTLY BANNED means just that.

5: Bickering / veiled insults. If your only intent in making a post is to be insulting, abrasive, or other than on the level of civility that we expect from you, don't post it.

From the forum rules:

I'm seeing a lot more tit for tat arguments popping up and it's getting old, real fast.

To sum it all up, this is a forum for adults, act like one or your account will get closed, possibly without warning.

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    It really is. We are still removing and issuing infractions for a large number of political posts and language (and language workaround) violations. While many of these are new members that did not read the rules, some of them continue to be members that have been here for some time and know the rules. The majority of our members, though, do make an effort to follow the rules and we appreciate it....
    Sort of like life, it's usually a small percentage that make it unreasonable for the rest of us.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    We are all human and we all make mistakes. Some of us, most of us probably, are members of several forums all with different rules. One place you can safely fart, other places you cannot even breathe crooked.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    We are all human and we all make mistakes. Some of us, most of us probably, are members of several forums all with different rules. One place you can safely fart, other places you cannot even breathe crooked.
    And? We don't care what other forums have what rules. It's not like we're expecting you guys to behave like Buddhist monks. The rules here are not that complicated. I can pretty much sum it up in 14 words:

Don't act like a tool, don't cuss, don't promote illegal activity, no politics/religion.

It's not that hard, basically four items to be of concern. Is that too many?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links