Defensive Carry banner

Some things need to be addressed...

27K views 87 replies 60 participants last post by  Admin 
#1 · (Edited)
1: If you get an infraction, a formal warning, or just a friendly PM regarding an edit for language etc. It IS NOT good form to report someone else doing the same thing with a “This member did it too, where’s their infraction?” type attitude. We greatly appreciate the reporting of posts, but if you do it just to be an ass, well I’ll probably just ban you. In short, don’t act like a tool if you get a post edited. Furthermore, who gets what infraction is none of your business. We don’t discuss your penalties with other members, we won’t discuss other’s infractions with you. If you and someone else are acting like tools, odds are you both got infractions, don’t worry about the other guy; just worry about YOU. If you do get an infraction that you think was unjust, all you have to do is PM a higher ranking staff member. There is a chain of command here, use it. If you get an infraction and start sending inflammatory PMs to the issuer, you’re probably going to be banned. Also, “POS” is a language workaround, stop using it.

2: NO POLITICS that aren’t related to firearms. I don’t know how to put this in any plainer English. If you start a political thread, it’s going to get pulled and you’re getting points, once you hit 50, you’re gone. This has been policy for quite some time. If you see a thread that’s a political thread, DON’T POST TO IT, if your post is political in nature; you’re going to get an infraction as well. If you can't post something without throwing out some political agenda for the Libertarians, Conservatives, Democrats, Liberals, Semi-Conservitiverepublicrats...whatever. DON'T POST IT.

3: Toughen up. Lately there has been so much whining and sniveling going on it makes me sick, and yes if you can’t tell, I’m kind of cheesed off about the state of things lately.

A. Before you report a post, take a moment to think about what the real issue is. If someone’s avatar of a loaded gun being pointed at the camera “offends you”…well I don’t know what you’re doing on this forum. It’s a digital image, IT CAN’T HURT YOU. This has come up several times and is not pointed at anyone in particular. If the shoe fits, wear it.

B. The simple mention or use of certain words IE: “god” or a personal belief does not a religious debate / discussion make. If it starts to turn a thread into a debate, we’ll take care of it. Also, if you take offense to a certain word that is not covered by the forum rules, IE other than cuss words, or discrimination due to sex, religion, ethnicity, race, or political views; GET OVER IT. If you see a thread titled “Church Deacons that Carry” or “Carry at Religious Services” etc, and all forms of religion offend you, don’t open the thread. The topic is related to our focus and I expect anyone legally packing a gun to be adult enough to NOT click on something that you have no interest in and then report it just to make a stink. Also, we the staff do not find “*******” to be a racial slur, so stop reporting it unless it’s being used as some sort of direct attack.

4. Multiple accounts. If for some reason you want a name change, you need to talk to Bman505 or another admin, simply creating a new account is NOT a good idea. Multiple accounts are not allowed. There are some cases where computers are used jointly, we’re pretty good about picking those up. But if you have two accounts, you better send myself and the Admins a PM pretty quick. Odds are if you have multiple accounts and have not been banned yet, it’s just because we’re logging your IP addresses for future use to find you. One the same note, if you do get banned, don’t try to sneak back in. WE WILL find your account, we will ban your account.

To date there is one guy that I’ve banned over 30 times, some have had 5-7 accounts, they try to mask their IPs, they try to use proxy servers, they try to use different emails, birth dates, different locations, you name it, they all get caught eventually. If you get removed from the forum, go find another forum’s members to aggravate, PERMANENTLY BANNED means just that.

5: Bickering / veiled insults. If your only intent in making a post is to be insulting, abrasive, or other than on the level of civility that we expect from you, don't post it.

From the forum rules:
2. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it.
I'm seeing a lot more tit for tat arguments popping up and it's getting old, real fast.

To sum it all up, this is a forum for adults, act like one or your account will get closed, possibly without warning.

Added: 7-18-12: For the last few months the staff has been running short handed, we've added seven new moderators this year and they are getting along nicely, but we still nned the help of our members in reporting issues that we may not see.

I've seen a few references of late to the now defunct PDO, we don't want to see that happen here any more than anyone else, but we can't be everywhere. IKf it starts getting too nasty 'round here I'm just going to start banning those that can't abide our policies and cut out some of the slack that we've given in the past.

Every body go back and read over#5 again.

We don't want to take the gloves off and start thinning the herd, but if that's what we have to resort to, so be it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent post.
My thoughts exactly !!!

That is how a good forum turns bad; anybody remembers PDO ???

#4 ·
Here is my .02 cents. My cousin saw a sign a few weeks ago outside a church and it rings true for everybody,it went like this "If you keep your mouth shut there is no room for your foot. A thank you to all the Mods for keeping the board the way it should be.

#8 ·
I'm cool with all of that. I always try my best anyways.

#12 ·
I try to follow the rules, but I'll be the first to admit that on rare occasions I'll let my emotions get the best of me on certain subjects. The mods here do a good job of keeping things under control, which is why I like coming here.

#13 ·
+1 JD. Glad to know you are keeping on top of things. I too have noticed a lot of bickering going on in certain threads. I hope the message gets across!

#15 ·
A good reminder, thanks JD.

Sometimes it can be hard not to bicker/argue, but people need to remember this is a place to learn, and really a showcase where the public can see responsible law-abiding citizens of all walks of life intelligently exchange ideas about personal protection.

I don't really care how cool everyone else on the internet thinks I am, but I hope that I have helped some people learn somewhere along the way.

It's Bumper's house, and he lets us play by big boy/girl rules here.

Reactions: JD
#21 ·
It really is. We are still removing and issuing infractions for a large number of political posts and language (and language workaround) violations. While many of these are new members that did not read the rules, some of them continue to be members that have been here for some time and know the rules. The majority of our members, though, do make an effort to follow the rules and we appreciate it....

#22 ·
Let me be right up front by saying sorry....... LOL! I do sometimes use a work-a-round..........
But thank you for all your (everyone) work on the forum....... it really is a great place to come to, and I spend a lot of time here!! ;)

I think most everyone can have a civil discussion.... I think the problems come from those who only have ONE view of things....... thiers!
Oh well I guess......what would the second amend be without the first.........

#24 ·
Thank you, JD.

It seems like here and on the other forum I'm a member of, there has been a bit of an uptick in new people joining up for no other reason than to "stir the pot".

#25 ·
I think you can attribute a large amount of the pot stirring to the passionate nature of the firearms debate. Most people willing to get in on the discussion are either vehemently for or against the principles of the Second Amendment (or at the very least strongly disagree over what the Second Amendment actually says). There aren't a lot of people who take the time to get in on the "debate" that are moderate on the subject.

When people get passionate they can, at times, get irrational or forget themselves. I honestly don't think the vast majority of people here intend on launching into a full-on tirade about religion or the government or whatnot... they just get all fired up and fail to quit while they're ahead.

It happens. What is necessary is an administration with their head screwed on straight, like we have here, that knows when enough is enough. I appreciate the dedication, mod-type folks.

#26 ·
Thanks for the post! I noticed last week that there were a few political posts and was happy to see them removed. One of the biggest reasons I come to this site rather then other s is the limited discussions. Every one has their own views and beliefs but I would rather get advise from the members here instead of bickering.

#28 ·
First and foremost; I belong to several forums, not just firearms related but others relating to many of "our kind of folks" point of view. I notice that all of them without exception are having these same problems. My opinion is that there are many internet trolls and agitators joining these forums innocuously, reading then posting for a while then they begin their controversial/offensive posting. I honestly believe these are probably some of the same people doing the same thing, agitating and causing hatred and dismay on these forums. It would be nice to see if Administrators of other forums could coordinate their efforts by sharing information regarding the IP addresses where many of these people are sourcing from.

I just got back from a conference addressing these coordination issues as they apply to my job (power industry), where I am a supervisor/lead administrator over several power plant control systems. Due to new critical infrastructure protection laws, we now have to coordinate our detection of potential hackers and their IP addresses with the Feds (Homeland Security). Perhaps the same kind of coordination could be done between DC and other firearms related boards? Just a thought.

Oh yeah, and don't say PDO three times......we don't want that monster coming back.

#29 ·
It would be nice to see if Administrators of other forums could coordinate their efforts by sharing information regarding the IP addresses where many of these people are sourcing from.
We do that.
Gun-Related Forum Administrator's Forum
This forum is private and restricted to administrators of established, gun-related forums. If you are a forum owner/administrator and would like access, please send a PM to Bumper along with the name of your forum and your member name on your forum. Eligibility will be verified and a PM will be sent to you on *your* forum with access information. Your site must be an established forum within the Internet gun-related community. You are allowed two memberships per forum.

On top of that we talk to other forums a on a regular basis even if they are not part of the above mentioned sub forum.

Our genre isn't that large, and in most cases you'll find staff members of a forum as members of other forums. It IS a small world after all.

#30 ·
It would be fun to be a fly on the wall at that forum to see who moderates the moderators......

#31 ·
Basically, I officially moderate it, since it is hosted on this site, but we pretty much let the administrators and moderators of that forum post unmoderated. At least we have never had an issue where any posts there need moderating. :wink:

That being said, it is not the most active forum we have. Usually when someone has a big problem with someone on their site they come here and post information that can help us all rid ourselves of these people. As JD alluded to, much of our information comes in outside of that forum. Sharing information helps us all control the trolls....

#32 ·
JD, et al --

I don't post much, but I do read LOTS -- and I appreciate the work you guys do. Being the moderator of an e-mail group, I know that it's a thankless task -- but believe me, some of us truly appreciate your service. What a blessing to not worry about one of the kids reading something unfortunate over my shoulder!

So thanks for bearing with all the frustrating stuff on our behalf. You guys are the reason this forum is the excellent resource that it has become!!

RevDoug

#33 ·
10-4 on the trolls; Facebook is starting to get infiltrated by trolls, especially on the public personality pages like Glenn Beck, etc. Whoever runs that outfit needs to get a handle on that stuff in a hurry, I see bad times ahead for them if they don't....

#36 ·
Cheer up, KSCCW may be back up soon.

Why they have been down may be related to a picture that was posted by one person, innocently. But it was linked back to someplace in Russia and a shortly, every thread had a post from a Russian spammer.
That may have also embedded a Trojan hook that has been keeping the host server switch oner from working.

So, be careful what you post and on what you click.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.