Some things need to be addressed...

This is a discussion on Some things need to be addressed... within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; 1: If you get an infraction, a formal warning, or just a friendly PM regarding an edit for language etc. It IS NOT good form ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Some things need to be addressed...

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Post Some things need to be addressed...

1: If you get an infraction, a formal warning, or just a friendly PM regarding an edit for language etc. It IS NOT good form to report someone else doing the same thing with a “This member did it too, where’s their infraction?” type attitude. We greatly appreciate the reporting of posts, but if you do it just to be an ass, well I’ll probably just ban you. In short, don’t act like a tool if you get a post edited. Furthermore, who gets what infraction is none of your business. We don’t discuss your penalties with other members, we won’t discuss other’s infractions with you. If you and someone else are acting like tools, odds are you both got infractions, don’t worry about the other guy; just worry about YOU. If you do get an infraction that you think was unjust, all you have to do is PM a higher ranking staff member. There is a chain of command here, use it. If you get an infraction and start sending inflammatory PMs to the issuer, you’re probably going to be banned. Also, “POS” is a language workaround, stop using it.

2: NO POLITICS that aren’t related to firearms. I don’t know how to put this in any plainer English. If you start a political thread, it’s going to get pulled and you’re getting points, once you hit 50, you’re gone. This has been policy for quite some time. If you see a thread that’s a political thread, DON’T POST TO IT, if your post is political in nature; you’re going to get an infraction as well. If you can't post something without throwing out some political agenda for the Libertarians, Conservatives, Democrats, Liberals, Semi-Conservitiverepublicrats...whatever. DON'T POST IT.

3: Toughen up. Lately there has been so much whining and sniveling going on it makes me sick, and yes if you can’t tell, I’m kind of cheesed off about the state of things lately.

A. Before you report a post, take a moment to think about what the real issue is. If someone’s avatar of a loaded gun being pointed at the camera “offends you”…well I don’t know what you’re doing on this forum. It’s a digital image, IT CAN’T HURT YOU. This has come up several times and is not pointed at anyone in particular. If the shoe fits, wear it.

B. The simple mention or use of certain words IE: “god” or a personal belief does not a religious debate / discussion make. If it starts to turn a thread into a debate, we’ll take care of it. Also, if you take offense to a certain word that is not covered by the forum rules, IE other than cuss words, or discrimination due to sex, religion, ethnicity, race, or political views; GET OVER IT. If you see a thread titled “Church Deacons that Carry” or “Carry at Religious Services” etc, and all forms of religion offend you, don’t open the thread. The topic is related to our focus and I expect anyone legally packing a gun to be adult enough to NOT click on something that you have no interest in and then report it just to make a stink. Also, we the staff do not find “Redneck” to be a racial slur, so stop reporting it unless it’s being used as some sort of direct attack.

4. Multiple accounts. If for some reason you want a name change, you need to talk to Bman505 or another admin, simply creating a new account is NOT a good idea. Multiple accounts are not allowed. There are some cases where computers are used jointly, we’re pretty good about picking those up. But if you have two accounts, you better send myself and the Admins a PM pretty quick. Odds are if you have multiple accounts and have not been banned yet, it’s just because we’re logging your IP addresses for future use to find you. One the same note, if you do get banned, don’t try to sneak back in. WE WILL find your account, we will ban your account.

To date there is one guy that I’ve banned over 30 times, some have had 5-7 accounts, they try to mask their IPs, they try to use proxy servers, they try to use different emails, birth dates, different locations, you name it, they all get caught eventually. If you get removed from the forum, go find another forum’s members to aggravate, PERMANENTLY BANNED means just that.

5: Bickering / veiled insults. If your only intent in making a post is to be insulting, abrasive, or other than on the level of civility that we expect from you, don't post it.

From the forum rules:
    2. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it.
    I'm seeing a lot more tit for tat arguments popping up and it's getting old, real fast.

To sum it all up, this is a forum for adults, act like one or your account will get closed, possibly without warning.

Added: 7-18-12: For the last few months the staff has been running short handed, we've added seven new moderators this year and they are getting along nicely, but we still nned the help of our members in reporting issues that we may not see.

I've seen a few references of late to the now defunct PDO, we don't want to see that happen here any more than anyone else, but we can't be everywhere. IKf it starts getting too nasty 'round here I'm just going to start banning those that can't abide our policies and cut out some of the slack that we've given in the past.

Every body go back and read over#5 again.

We don't want to take the gloves off and start thinning the herd, but if that's what we have to resort to, so be it.

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Excellent post.
    My thoughts exactly !!!

That is how a good forum turns bad; anybody remembers PDO ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Excellent post.
    My thoughts exactly !!!

That is how a good forum turns bad; anybody remembers PDO ???
    That's where I came here from. In all honesty, if we ever get to the point where the forum is that bad, I'll beg Bumper for the broom and clean house.

Here is my .02 cents. My cousin saw a sign a few weeks ago outside a church and it rings true for everybody,it went like this "If you keep your mouth shut there is no room for your foot. A thank you to all the Mods for keeping the board the way it should be.
    MustangRob likes this.

RMS
    Thanks for the great work in keeping this sight #1 on the internet!!!!

Very well said and to the point. Everyone should be able to understand all of that very clearly. Thanks for keeping the board in order.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    "If you keep your mouth shut there is no room for your foot."
    I like it and I agree.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I'm cool with all of that. I always try my best anyways.

VIP Member
    I really enjoy this forum and would hate to see things go bad, keep up the good work Mods!

Oh boy, I didn't know about the point thing.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Good posts. Thanks, JD!
    hienykins likes this.

I try to follow the rules, but I'll be the first to admit that on rare occasions I'll let my emotions get the best of me on certain subjects. The mods here do a good job of keeping things under control, which is why I like coming here.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

+1 JD. Glad to know you are keeping on top of things. I too have noticed a lot of bickering going on in certain threads. I hope the message gets across!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Is there somewhere I can look to see if I've picked up points?
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

A good reminder, thanks JD.

Sometimes it can be hard not to bicker/argue, but people need to remember this is a place to learn, and really a showcase where the public can see responsible law-abiding citizens of all walks of life intelligently exchange ideas about personal protection.

I don't really care how cool everyone else on the internet thinks I am, but I hope that I have helped some people learn somewhere along the way.

It's Bumper's house, and he lets us play by big boy/girl rules here.
    JD likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links