Status of the forum

Status of the forum

This is a discussion on Status of the forum within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; It appears that the host has resolved our problems by optimizing the database and doubling our server memory by giving us a free upgrade. He ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Status of the forum

DC Founder

Status of the forum

It appears that the host has resolved our problems by optimizing the database and doubling our server memory by giving us a free upgrade. He also tweaked the some of the MySQL settings so it will make better use of the upgraded RAM, which I thought was pretty darned good of him. Not many hosts would do that. He is monitoring the forum for awhile as am I.

I will continue to go through the forum configuration from the vBulletin end to make sure we can wring every bit of performance available from our current environment. I'm not going to rule out that a server upgrade may be necessary sometime over the next few weeks/months but want to make sure we have the performance we need to serve a growing membership.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I don't know the difference between MySQL and YourSQL. But I do know when someone is working hard to solve a problem.

Thanks

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    It appears that the host has resolved our problems by optimizing the database and doubling our server memory by giving us a free upgrade. He also tweaked the some of the MySQL settings so it will make better use of the upgraded RAM, which I thought was pretty darned good of him. Not many hosts would do that. He is monitoring the forum for awhile as am I.

I will continue to go through the forum configuration from the vBulletin end to make sure we can wring every bit of performance available from our current environment. I'm not going to rule out that a server upgrade may be necessary sometime over the next few weeks/months but want to make sure we have the performance we need to serve a growing membership.
    Ya, that is exactly what I would have done.

Just wish I knew what he said.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Bumper, thanks for the work you do. I know any upgrade can be a very frustrating process, so just keep your eyes on the prize (a better site). Thanks again.

Oh, a question: will the "home page" be coming back ?
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

RMS
    Thanks for the dedication and all the hard work. There is no gun forum on the internet that can even come close to this sight!!!

Thanks, both to you and the host! It seems to be running very fast now!

VIP Member
    Thanks for the update. I think I can speak for most everyone here when I say you do a great job. One of the best things is you keep us informed of problems and changes. Keeps our frustration level down and we don't bug you when you have other important things to do.

Again, thanks for the great work you do!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Thanks again Bumper! I know that we all appreciate your help and expertise!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I thought I had exceeded my maximum amount of demerits and was put in timeout,I been being on my best behaviour and typing like theres a nun watching me
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Your efforts and dedication to this site are greatly appreciated by this member...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Thanks for the great work Bumper!
    It seems that Nitrous Oxide injection has really upped the horsepower
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS View Post
    Thanks for the dedication and all the hard work. There is no gun forum on the internet that can even come close to this sight!!!
    +1!

ps. and we can vote with our wallets, even a small amount, I know, would be greatly appreciated. Billy Graham used to say that it was the $10 donations that floated their organization year after year.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsetrader View Post
    Oh, a question: will the "home page" be coming back ?
    At this point, I'm not sure. That particular script was out of date and contributing to the problems we were having. There will probably be an update to the product for the new version but, honestly, very few people used that entry to the forum. Right now when you enter on the base URL you will be redirected to the main forum page....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Unless there is real added value, I vote for using the forum page as home just as now.

Home page

Are we talking about the page that shows the "active" topics and recent posts? I prefer that page as the "default".
    Don't do stupid things, don't go to stupid places, don't hang out with stupid people...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links