Markings?

Markings?

This is a discussion on Markings? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Information such as model, caliber, and manufacturer are required to be stamped on all guns manufactured. Question: If an individual re-barrels and/or re-chambers a gun, ...

Thread: Markings?

VIP Member

Markings?

Information such as model, caliber, and manufacturer are required to be stamped on all guns manufactured.

Question: If an individual re-barrels and/or re-chambers a gun, what must be done re: model, caliber, and re-manufacturer?

BTW -- I know that the serial number on the receiver must be left. But what else must be left or replaced/corrected (especially on the barrel, which in many cases is where the caliber is stamped)?

What if you have it done by a gunsmith?

Last edited by DaveH; March 11th, 2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added "or replaced/corrected"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Question.... Is this requirement, meant for manufactures only, or is it a requirement for all weapons at all times? Like that tag I cut off the mattress after I buy it... Which is legal by the way.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

The serial number is on the frame, which doesn't have anything to do with the barrel or caliber. Yes it might indicate which one, but your not changing it forever, just expanding it's usefulness.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    The serial number is on the frame, which doesn't have anything to do with the barrel or caliber. Yes it might indicate which one, but your not changing it forever, just expanding it's usefulness.
    Got that. Said so in OP.

What I can't find a is citation for the other info listed in 27 CFR 478.92(a) (See: Justia :: 27 C.F.R. 478.92How must licensed manufacturers and licensed importers identify firearms, armor piercing ammunition, and large capacity ammunition feeding devices?) as it might apply to an individual.

OIOW -- if one changes the caliber, what must one do re: markings?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Administrator
    Actually if the original factory serial number needs to be plated over or obliterated or (in any way) rendered illegible due to refinishing or restoration or customization it can legally be re-stamped or re-engraved in another location on the receiver or frame but, it must be remarked according to ATF specs. with regard to a specified letter & number height & stamped depth.
    It (of course) needs to be the exact same serial number but, anybody can re-stamp it. It does not need to be re-stamped by the firearm manufacturer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Actually if the original factory serial number needs to be plated over or obliterated or (in any way) rendered illegible due to refinishing or restoration or customization it can legally be re-stamped or re-engraved in another location on the receiver or frame but, it must be remarked according to ATF specs. with regard to a specified letter & number height & stamped depth.
    It (of course) needs to be the exact same serial number but, anybody can re-stamp it. It does not need to be re-stamped by the firearm manufacturer.
    Good point that I failed to cover. Even had it done.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsored Links