Rules at the shooting range

This is a discussion on Rules at the shooting range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I frequent a couple of public ranges in my area and have noticed a difference in the various rules and regs each one has. While ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules at the shooting range

Rules at the shooting range

I frequent a couple of public ranges in my area and have noticed a difference in the various rules and regs each one has. While I haven't questioned or opposed any of them, I'm curious the know if anyone can explain why one would be "stricter" on certain policies than another. The following are examples of what I have come across:
    1. No double tap or rapid fire
    2. No full size LE targets, size is restricted to approx 24" x 24"
    3. Shooter is only allowed to load 5 rounds at any one time
    4. No steel tipped ammo, eg. Wolf. This has already been discussed in previous posts
    5. All weapons must be cased. Holstered weapons are not allowed

As I said, these rules are used my only one of the two ranges I use most often. Has anyone else experienced these or other "strict" rules that are not necessarily used elsewhere?

FYI: The explanation given to me for the restriction on Wolf is tendancy for steel tips to ricochet off hard surfaces. Whatever.
    I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

2. Remove Ads

We have similar rules in Delaware, only real difference as follows:
    1. Same
    2. Same
    3. We can load 9
    4. Same
    5. Same

These are for the safety of everyone at the range, some may not be as qualified as yourself.

I'm originally from Binghamton, NY, moved to Delaware with my parents when I was 13. Am a retired State LEO from Delaware, I noticed a badge in your message?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Handgunner View Post
    1. No double tap or rapid fire
    2. No full size LE targets, size is restricted to approx 24" x 24"
    This may have to do with the shooting stands. At one of the ranges near here (pretty standard for indoor ranges), the targets are held in place by metal shields on an overhead pulley. Repeated hits on the shield piece means that piece must be replaced.

Now though, they have just started charging you $20 if you hit it.

Silly rules are part of the reason I enjoy an unattended range. At first you'd think a place without a rangemaster would have morons pointing guns all over the place, but I have never observed that to be the case. Common sense safety seems to prevail.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I've just started going to a new range out of town (I go to that town a couple times a month for work) and they have "No Loaded Weapons" and "Weapons Will be Checked entering and leaving" signs up everywhere. They also have the "No Rapid Fire" rule. The also have a "No Handling Guns in the Lobby" sign, which actually makes a lot of sense to me.

I thought the no loaded weapons signs were a bit odd at a shooting range. After going a couple of times with a buddy that is a regular and talking to the owner. I asked him if right before I left if I could load my CCW inside so as not to have to stand in the rain and do it. He said to please go ahead and load up, that he had observed my safe handling and had no issue with it. The reason for the sign was he would have "kids" who just got their CCP pulling out loaded CCWs and waving it around showing it to people, etc.

I had asked about double taps and he said that and rapid fire was fine as long as you had control of your weapon. If they heard rapid fire, they would check the monitor and watch to see if you had control of your weapon and if you did, you were fine.

Perhaps they may catch some flack for not enforcing the rules and signs consistently, but it seems the rules are the rules and they can selectively choose to allow people who have demonstrated safety to vary. His range, his rules.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The public ranges around here are generally easy going if they know you, and your habits. They do however have thier rules.

No uncased guns.
    No steel ammo whatsoever.
    No real person targets, other then one place sells a target with a terrorist on it. You still have to use range rapproved targets. They just dont want you making one up of your boss, The prez, or anything like that.

Ive yet to see one with a loading restriction, that one is odd to me.

Two of these ranges are in fairly populated areas. One allows high powered rifles of all types, but only permits softpoint rounds. Mostly because of ricochet, and because careless shooters can and will destroy thier really nice target carriages.

Oh, and your also not permitted to shoot shotguns of any type from around the midsection or hip.

At the indoor range that I work at rapid fire is prohibited. Most people can't control a gun durring rapid fire. There are no rules about capacity or targets.

I've heard that at one of the Department of Conservation ranges you must take 3 seconds between shots which just seems nuts to me.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

AzB
    My closest range has no rules for capacity or speed of shooting, but does have an unloaded rule for the front of the store. They have a window that looks from the store into the range so people can watch without being on the range. There's a shelf on the range side that specifically states "no guns, range bags and ammo only" as well as signs in each booth stating that loaded guns remain in the booth.
    Last time I was there, naturally with my relatively inexperienced daughter and first timer wife, there were all kinds of people loading their guns on that shelf with the weapons pointing into the store. The rangemaster had to see this, but seemed unconcerned. It bothered me mainly because I had drilled the rules of the range into my wife and daughter before we even left the house, and then we get there and no one seems to be worried about it.

It wouldn't bother me too much normally, but there were a lot of new shooters there that night. (At least I'm assuming from the poor shot placement, posture, and general gun handling) Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

The range I go to has a notice on the door saying "No loaded weapons or magazines".

On the range there are rules about rapid fire, no drawing from a holster, etc.

AFAIK there are no rules on targets, heck, they sell zombie and gunman targets there in addition to the normal circle and silhouette targets.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The outdoor public range I frequent has rules 1 & 5.

If you saw how badly the overhead supports, target frames, and anything else down range was literally shot to pieces, you might agree with the rapid fire ban. Even with timed firing, some people mange to splinter everything! Even the telephone poles supporting the overhead structure have 2x6s bolted to them to protect the poles! I guess some people literally can't hit the broad side of the barn.

Target size may have something to do with the frame for holding them. My range uses cheap 2x4 frames which are replaced regularly. Multiple targets must be posted vertically, not horizontally, at my range to keep folks from blasting the target frames to smithereens.

My range won't allow "people" targets, so I guess Osama bin Ladin is safe there.

I have no idea why they'd have a round limit. What's the diff between 5 x 10 shots and 10 x 5 shots?

One oddity I ran into is that before they call the shooting line "cold," they inspect each firearm to see if it is "safe"--unloaded, slide back/cylinder open, etc. I had my Glock stripped in preparation for putting my .22 conversion slide on for the next round. The guy would not call my gun safe until I reassembled it and locked back the slide. I guess he was afraid the disassembled gun might go off?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I had my Glock stripped in preparation for putting my .22 conversion slide on for the next round. The guy would not call my gun safe until I reassembled it and locked back the slide. I guess he was afraid the disassembled gun might go off?
    FWIW, I have a gun that is perfectly capable of firing after taking the barrel and receiver off the frame. It does seem a little over careful, but if you're going to be the one down range, you might want to take that extra step!
    Az

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    FWIW, I have a gun that is perfectly capable of firing after taking the barrel and receiver off the frame. It does seem a little over careful, but if you're going to be the one down range, you might want to take that extra step!
    And what sort of firearm would that be? A Glock certainly won't.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    1. Rapid fire is posted but not enforced, if you control your hand gun. It's just posted that way to avoid arguments about whether the shooter was in or out of control. Must be pre-approved (each time) to fire full-auto and they will only approve at slack times.

2. Most the targets sold are full size LE targets -- Q and 5-ring silhouette are most popular. Also, sell some more lifelike silhouettes.

3. No limit.

4. They sell Wolf among other. Only restriction is on .223 -- must be frag.

5. Holstered is allowed as is draw & shoot -- again draw & shoot must be pre-approved (each time) and they will only approve at slack times. They do post loaded carry in lobby/lounge but exempt LEO & CHP. I keep my EDC loaded in my holster while shooting different guns.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Gee, I must be lucky! At the range I frequent, rapid fire is allowed. So is draw-from-holster firing and self defense practice. Upon approval, you can even drop the shooting table and practice low ready point shooting. Wolf ammo is not allowed, but any (no grenade launchers) type of weapon is, including full auto if you have the proper license to own it. In fact, the place is Class 3 and has many types of weapons for rent, including many types of full auto AK, AR, and even a Thompson sub-MG. The owner/staff are very safety-conscious, and you must watch a video and take a test before you are allowed to shoot.

They allow loaded concealed weapons in the store, and since it's private property, you can even carry openly while on the premises. Their only VERY strict rules are you do NOT bring a loaded, unholstered weapon into the store and you do NOT draw your weapon unless in the process of handing it to a staff member.

I rented a S&W .500 there once. The staff member went with me into the range and used a braided cable to chain the gun to the shooting table. She loaded a round in every other cylinder and allowed me to fire it. Once she saw I could control the weapon, she unchained it, handed the rest of the ammo to me, and said, "Have fun." BTW, that's a FUN gun to shoot!

If you're in the area, visit it:
    Allen Arms
    Poinsett Hwy.
    Greenville, SC

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    And what sort of firearm would that be? A Glock certainly won't.
    A Luger.

YouTube - Warning, Luger Upper Can Fire !!!
    Az

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    One of the many reasons I joined a private club. About the only ammo restriction we have no tracers.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links