Pictures! My Grayguns P220 SAO Elite

This is a discussion on Pictures! My Grayguns P220 SAO Elite within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I shoot primarily SIG P220s for IDPA. Last year I picked up a SAO Carry and liked it so much for shooting Custom Defensive Pistol, ...

Thread: Pictures! My Grayguns P220 SAO Elite

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Pictures! My Grayguns P220 SAO Elite

I shoot primarily SIG P220s for IDPA. Last year I picked up a SAO Carry and liked it so much for shooting Custom Defensive Pistol, I decided I wanted to shell out some money to have a dedicated competition gun done by Bruce Gray at Grayguns.

Some of the work I wanted required a stainless frame to work on, so I bought a brand new P220 Stainless Elite and shipped it off. While it was at the shop, Hogue finally released a version of their Extreme Aluminum grips for the SAO P220. I just got the finished product back, and it came out great!

It has been converted to SAO and gotten an action job; they did a custom blended magwell and fitten a pair of the Hogue's to that; a little overall smoothing; and some frame milling to get the whole package down to 40.4oz unloaded with an empty magazine.

Roy at Grayguns, who did the finishing work, posted pictures over at SIGforum before he shipped it back, so I am just going to crib his pics to show it off.

The overall package, first. In my opinion. it's beautiful.

Here's a couple views of the magwell. This is the primary competition upgrade that I wanted, and it is what required the stainless frame.

The trigger is awesome. Takeup has been reduced, it breaks very cleanly (at right around the factory weight of 4.55--5lb), and the reset is as close to non-existent as I would ever want in a competition gun. I'd say the reset compares to the best 1911 trigger I have ever tried.

I am a very happy camper.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Beautiful gun, Sig P220s are the BEST! I love mine.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

AzB
    Wow.

That's really nice.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

VIP Member
    Green with envy, I am! That is one beautiful gun.

I have been trying to find a new 220 SAO for a couple of months now. No luck, of course. I never thought of having one converted.

Blast! Now I have to do some thinking..........
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Very, very nice.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Drool...
    "Don't Tread on Me"

An absolutely beautiful gun...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    He did a great job. Congrats. Money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Green with envy, I am! That is one beautiful gun.
    Thanks.

I have been trying to find a new 220 SAO for a couple of months now. No luck, of course. I never thought of having one converted.
    It's not, alas, quite as trivial as you may think. All (I think) newer P220 frames have the cuts for the SAO thumb safety and safety spring. The problem is getting the parts; SIG will not sell an SAO action kit. Grayguns told me they might be able to order directly from SIG, but SIG only seems to sell those parts to smiths as replacements for existing SAOs.

So, what I did was send in the Elite and my Carry SAO at the same time. I was going to have the Carry converted to the DA/SA SRT trigger from the Elite.

That's when we found out that not all SAO frames have the proper hole for the decocker! In the meanwhile, somebody on SIGforum who is a SIG dealer has posted a thread asking about folks interested in SAO parts. So, well before I had the Elite in hand for work, I had purchased a back up set of SAO parts which ended up getting put towards the gun above.

Anyway, now the original Carry SAO (with a full-sized slide from a DA/SA P220) is my back-up IDPA gun so I have two guns with the same layout, geometry, and trigger. I might put the leftover SRT parts in my DA/SA P220, or I might just sell them at some point...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    Well, that is depressing information! I've had the idea bouncing around in my head all day. I guess I'll go back to waiting for the blue moon to set when SIG will actually do a production run on the SAO and hope that my back order gets filled. In the mean time I'll keep my eyes open for a SAO action kit. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Thanks for the information and I really hope yours performs as well as it looks!

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Moderator
    You sure that gun is even legal in Maryland?

Just kidding.

Congratualtions! It's a piece of artwork, for sure. May it serve you well!
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Very nice! I like that. I'm a P220 SAO fan myself. Thanks for the info that Hogue finally got on the ball with some grips for the SAO versions. I'll have to look into this more.
    Many happy times at the range to you and yours. May it serve you well.

That's a lil piece of Heaven right thar!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Well, that is depressing information! I've had the idea bouncing around in my head all day.
    I didn't mean to bum you out. They're out there. Keep an eye on Gunbroker. I'd also look regularly at a couple of the big online SIG sellers, like Top Gun, Ordnance Outsellers, and Bud' Gun Shop. I got both my SAOs on Gunbroker. The Carry was a decent price...

Also look at the Classifieds on SIGforum; there are occasionally folks who decide they'd rather have DA/SA and are looking to sell or swap parts.

Very nice gun...very simple and clean looking I like it a lot.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links