FFL in MA ?

This is a discussion on FFL in MA ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering if having a FFL in MA would allow someone to buy "non MA compliant" pistols such as new glocks or any Kimber? ...

Thread: FFL in MA ?

FFL in MA ?

I was wondering if having a FFL in MA would allow someone to buy "non MA compliant" pistols such as new glocks or any Kimber?

I'm assuming the answer would be NO - but I thought I'd ask as I know tons of people on here have FFLs.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Item 1:

- NO, no MA FFL can transfer any gun (even to one's self) that isn't approved or grandfathered.

Item 2:

- MA is getting FFLs licenses revoked for non-compliance with the commercial zone only law, and not in any building used as a private residence.

- Damn few FFLs now exist in MA and it is almost impossible to get them in MA now.

Item 3:

- Collectors can get a C&R FFL easily, even in MA and are allowed to buy/collect old handguns (that aren't approved by the state for normal FFLs to sell). All guns so obtained must comply with Fed BATFE standards for C&R guns, you must maintain a Bound Book, etc.

Thanks Len

\
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    Item 1:

- NO, no MA FFL can transfer any gun (even to one's self) that isn't approved or grandfathered.

Item 2:

- MA is getting FFLs licenses revoked for non-compliance with the commercial zone only law, and not in any building used as a private residence.

- Damn few FFLs now exist in MA and it is almost impossible to get them in MA now.

Item 3:

- Collectors can get a C&R FFL easily, even in MA and are allowed to buy/collect old handguns (that aren't approved by the state for normal FFLs to sell). All guns so obtained must comply with Fed BATFE standards for C&R guns, you must maintain a Bound Book, etc.

<<NO, no MA FFL can transfer any gun (even to one's self) that isn't approved or grandfathered.>>

When I moved back to MA from a few years in California (1999) the law was that I could bring back my California-purchased .45 without having to register it. Now my Boston-issued Class-A (CCW) permits me to carry any large-capacity handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    Item 1:
    Close but no seegar.

No holder of a Masssachusetts License to Sell Firearms may sell a gun that is not approved or grandfathered. The posession of an FFL does not trigger the prohibition.

You are not not required to obtain a MA License to Sell Firearms unless you sell more than 4 guns in a calendar year.

So, if you get an FFL in MA (which means obtaining a business premise which is zoning compliand and also not also a residence and no, a separate entrance to part of your house or a detached garage does not seem to count) and limit yourself to 4 transfers per year you can get non-compliant stuff for yourself provided you don't get a MA dealer's license - if the distributors are willing to sell it to you.

As always, corrections welcome.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Simon, although you are correct "under the letter of the law", from a practical viewpoint none of those "kitchen table dealers" exist any more.

The MA AG has been working with CHSB and BATFE so that:

- If a MA person applies for an FFL (or renewal), BATFE is now requiring that they show that they are in compliance with the local town/city zoning requirements. In addition, they will NOT approve anyone who is operating out of the same address as a residence.

- If need be, CHSB is requesting BATFE compliance inspectors to "visit" said locations, audit them and find some non-compliance issues that they then use as blackmail to get them to "voluntarily" hand over their FFL.

Above info came to me directly from people involved (within EOPS/CHSB or affiliated committees).

As a note for others not in MA: MA passed a law in 1998 making it ILLEGAL to operate a gun business (gunsmith, ammo mfr, or dealer) out of property not zoned for business/commercial use and said property must not have any residences in it (which leads to an interesting question that I posed to some officials quite a while ago and was ignored).

Links