40S&W 9mm ammo price gap narrowing

This is a discussion on 40S&W 9mm ammo price gap narrowing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went in to Walmart tonight to grab some 357sig, 40S&W & 9mm target ammo for the range tomorrow and did a double take at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I went in to Walmart tonight to grab some 357sig, 40S&W & 9mm target ammo for the range tomorrow and did a double take at the prices. The Sig was obviously high at $23/50. That was expected and has been around that price for some time now. What surprised me was the boxes of WWB 9mm were now labeled at $13.49. The Federal .40 was only 50 more. The department manager said that the Blazer Brass was being replaced by the Federal and that she was told it was the same ammo with different branding. She didn't have any Federal 9mm but said it would be $11.49/50. They were also stocking some weird orange boxes of 124gr 9mm for $15.97/50 but I couldn't read the label.

That's good news, although I have never worried about the price of 40 cal. ammo. The price for failure to have adequate stopping power can be too high...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    That's good news, although I have never worried about the price of 40 cal. ammo. The price for failure to have adequate stopping power can be too high...
    Are you saying you think the .40 S&W cartridge is inadequate? May I humble ask, for my own information, what you are basing this on?
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    $13.49 is a little high for 9mm.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Are you saying you think the .40 S&W cartridge is inadequate? May I humble ask, for my own information, what you are basing this on?
    That's not even remotely what I said or meant! Quite the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    That's not even remotely what I said.
    Why don't you stop being so vague and just say what you want to say then. Obviously he didn't understand what you said. Please ignore the fact that he was talking about price and start a caliber battle.

Why can't you just be happy that you shoot .40 and let other people shoot what they want?

On a side note, I reload so I don't have to worry about finding ammo...just primers...lol
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Anytime the .40 price goes lower is a good thing.

that is high for 9mm

It is only $9.95 here for Federal

steve

I've also noticed something similar around here.

Hey, sounds like a good excuse to buy a .40!

Yeah.....well, maybe.....the thing is that the 9mm prices are going up to meet the 40S&W prices by the looks of things here. One of my local Wally Worlds has got in some foreign stuff in orange boxes for $16+ on a 50ct box. I'm not even going there.

Bought ammo last week at Wally World.

250 mega-pack of 9mm @ $51.97 - .21/rd

250 mega-pack of .40S&W @ $69.97 - .28/rd

The price may have closed a bit maybe 2-3 cents a round.

From my understanding the weird orange boxes of 9mm on the shelf is good stuff.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

i got federal .40 caliber at wal mart for 13.97 per 50 the other week. thats about as cheap as i have ever seen it around here.

Yeah I've noticed it's gone down by about 3 or 4 dollars per box of 50 here as well. I can get the 100rd value packs of WWB for $40 now, not bad considering they were like $50 a month or two ago...

I have a .40 glock, which I've had the outrageously long time of 3 weeks. In that time, it appears that Wally World has the best price for in-stock ammo either online or in person, at $13 and change for 50 rounds of Federal, or $30 and change for 100 rounds of Winchester. If they have it, which half the time they do, half the time they don't. I've been shooting a lot, so that means 2-3 times per week looking and maybe 1-1.5 times per week able to purchase. I've already started buying them out of what they've got whenever there's more than one box to be had.

Seems that, online, you can find .40 rounds at roughly .27-.29 cents per round, but only if it's reloads. Cannot match $13.50 per 50 or $31 per 100 online anywhere on quality, commercial loads that are in-stock. I have hunted and hunted and even gone down the sorry road of purchasing bulk Wolf ammo online before I realized that the ranges won't permit it.

Now, I'll have 500 rounds of crappy dirty steel cased FMJ ammo that I can't use for target practice, wouldn't choose to use for carry, and cost me more than $13 per 50 rounds. "What a deal!"

Dunno how this relates to the cost of 9mm ammo. I can just say that, it seems like Wally World holds all the cards for .40 prices right now. Too bad they rarely carry JHPs.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

been a long time for me on ammo buys. the only thing i buy now is 22lr. all other i reload, have been that way for many mango seasons. but i do keep an eye out on the prices, you never know when i might need some fast deal. the price of wal mart ammo here is high, that is when they got any. the prices that ya are saying are low to what i see. i do know gun stores ammo prices are high, higher that wal mart. i don't see many boxes going out the door.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links