WWII machine guns?

This is a discussion on WWII machine guns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Are WWII era machine guns/sub-machine guns legal to own if you pay for the $200 tax stamp? I'm specifically interested in the BAR, Thompson, Grease ...

Thread: WWII machine guns?

WWII machine guns?

Are WWII era machine guns/sub-machine guns legal to own if you pay for the $200 tax stamp? I'm specifically interested in the BAR, Thompson, Grease gun, MP40, and the StG 44.

I'm thinking about getting into WWII reenacting and would like to eventually have all of those weapons so I could rotate through them based on the event.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    They are legal in 34 states. If its legal in your state, you are good to go.

Be advised though, WW2 specimans that shoot full auto will cost 4 to5 figures.

About the cheapest thing you can get is a Sten.

MP-40 and StG 44's or anything German for that matter will cost a fortune.

There was a Doctor here in town that collected them so I was fortunate to shoot them all. I was standing at the range putting several hundred rounds through a MG42 and another Doctor offered him 250,000 for it, as it was a battlefield pickup that had all the proper markings on it. He turned it down because it is nearly impossilble to replace.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

They are legal to own, but they are considered full auto weapons with all the NFA requirements. They are also not cheap (think 15k FA premium + cost of gun).

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    They are legal in 34 states. If its legal in your state, you are good to go.

Be advised though, WW2 specimans that shoot full auto will cost 4 to5 figures.

About the cheapest thing you can get is a Sten.

MP-40 and StG 44's or anything German for that matter will cost a fortune.

There was a Doctor here in town that collected them so I was fortunate to shoot them all. I was standing at the range putting several hundred rounds through a MG42 and another Doctor offered him 250,000 for it, as it was a battlefield pickup that had all the proper markings on it. He turned it down because it is nearly impossilble to replace.
    Yeah I know they are expensive. This will be SEVERAL years down the road, just wanted to make sure it was even legal cause isn't there some kinda time limit on it where you can't own any full auto weapons that were made after a certain year? I wasn't sure what the year was.
    Ron Paul 2012

I think what your referring to is 1986. Full auto weapons made after that date cannot be transferred to non government agencies.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I think what your referring to is 1986. Full auto weapons made after that date cannot be transferred to non government agencies.
    Yeah.
    Ron Paul 2012

Find a class 3 dealer once you've got ten or fifteen grand saved up. A good dealer will explain things and help you find the right gun.

Some states will not allow you to possess Class 3 weapons,make sure you live in a free state,and the prices don't get cheaper, in fact they usually increase.I shot a sten gun about a month ago,for what that thing cost my friend and how cheap it's made It's a real shocker,they were produced as cheap and fast as possible,in the 1940's they probably didn't have more than $10.00 in parts
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    You must have more expendable cash than I do. Original transferable machine guns aren't cheap, bordering on what I would call prohibitively expensive. If it's just for re-enacting, there are blank-firing replicas out there for considerably less. But if you're that hardcore, that you want to use an actual WW2 machine gun, more power to you.

Here's a source for you.

MACHINE GUNS FOR SALE - AUTOWEAPONS.COM
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

My Browning .50 cal mg cost me $25,000.00 when I bought it. It was made in 1943. And still shoots. richgp100z

Links