Hard Chrome or NP3

Hard Chrome or NP3

This is a discussion on Hard Chrome or NP3 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any of you had guns plated in hard chrome or NP3 or each? Like one more than the other? I'm trying to decide between the ...

Thread: Hard Chrome or NP3

Hard Chrome or NP3

Any of you had guns plated in hard chrome or NP3 or each?

Like one more than the other?

I'm trying to decide between the two
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I've had good luck with the NP3 on both revolvers and semi-autos! I love the finish's self lubricating properties!

If you are worried about holster ware get NP3. That stuff does not come off. If you want the cool factor then chrome be it. I have NP3 on my G19 for two years now. It still looks like the day it was done.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Okay, I'll bite. What's NP3?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. What's NP3?
    NP3 is a proprietary metal coating which is a hybrid of electroless nickel and Teflon. It's offered by Robar Industries here in Phoenix, AZ. Robar NP3 Firearms Finish

The neat thing about NP3 is that not only is it highly corrosion resistant, it is also both hard (for abrasion resistance - think holster wear) and highly self-lubricating. I've handled a S+W K-frame revolver which had nothing more than a complete NP3 job done, internally and externally, and it felt like it had had a super action job done on it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    NP3 sounds pretty neat, but what I'm really wondering about is price. If it costs as much as the gun just to get the parts coated, it might not be worth it...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    NP3 sounds pretty neat, but what I'm really wondering about is price. If it costs as much as the gun just to get the parts coated, it might not be worth it...
    A complete NP3 job will poke a hole in $300... but that's for a top-quality coating. You'll pay as much or more for lesser finishes such as Birdsong Black T.

Price list:
    http://www.robarguns.com/PriceListNov07.pdf
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Not TOO bad, I guess.

Sometime in the future (when I have more cash) I think I want to get a PF9 plated...I love the PF9 but it would be really nice to have a decent finish rather than just the default KT finish. I'll have to keep this option in mind.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A complete NP3 job will poke a hole in $300... but that's for a top-quality coating. You'll pay as much or more for lesser finishes such as Birdsong Black T.

Price list:
    http://www.robarguns.com/PriceListNov07.pdf
    While I've already complimented NP3, I've also had great performance using Birdsong's Black T finish. Apparently I'm not the only one as the FBI even chose Black T for its HRT 1911s.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Not TOO bad, I guess.

Sometime in the future (when I have more cash) I think I want to get a PF9 plated...I love the PF9 but it would be really nice to have a decent finish rather than just the default KT finish. I'll have to keep this option in mind.

Watch their web site, they run specials sometimes. Certain percent off type thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    While I've already complimented NP3, I've also had great performance using Birdsong's Black T finish. Apparently I'm not the only one as the FBI even chose Black T for its HRT 1911s.
    That wasn't a slam of Black T; it's a high-quality finish, but it's softer and less wear-resistant than NP3. I'd be happy to have either on my personal weapons, but NP3 would be my first choice.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links