My experience Air travel with gun: 2 lessons learned - Page 2

My experience Air travel with gun: 2 lessons learned

This is a discussion on My experience Air travel with gun: 2 lessons learned within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I never leave home without my _own_ keys on my person. So what if your wife drives...what if you make a stop and she loses ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I never leave home without my _own_ keys on my person.
    So what if your wife drives...what if you make a stop and she loses her purse or it's stolen or she locks the keys/purse in the car?

It's too easy to take them and the on body weight/inconvenience penalty is minimal.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Because when you are flying out of town you don't need car keys or anything. Only the keys you need to drive to the airport. Why should I carry extra keys ???

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I never leave home without my _own_ keys on my person.
    So what if your wife drives...what if you make a stop and she loses her purse or it's stolen or she locks the keys/purse in the car?

It's too easy to take them and the on body weight/inconvenience penalty is minimal.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    flown with my gun plenty of times. has never taken more than an extra 30 sec to fill out the card. always double check that i have the appropriate keys, wallet, etc when traveling.
    Same here, actually they never ask me to fill out anything, just sign the card....I also don't lock my case until after I insert the orange card and TSA has checked it out. Why worry about having to lock, unlock, lock, etc.

Like Janq said, I always have me keys on me even when I know I will not need them. Force of habit I guess.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

I just went with combination locks for the gun case.... I don't need another key to lose.

I alway lock it up after I'm done with the counter agent, and then we walk over to TSA area and they screen it and then just wave at me and say I'm good to go. Could more of a hassle (and not sure if they'd want to) if they had to screen it and then bring it back to you to lock it up....

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    Lesson learned about keys.
    I never, ever, ever had such a long wait to check in luggage. I guess from now on I will be doing a lot of people watching in the airport when I fly.
    Check out the Deviant clip below on air travel. He recommends using the curbside checkin and casually mention to the guy you have a weapon to check, they might walk you through, bypassing the big line, in order to get the paperwork signed, then on to TSA screening. Be sure to tip well!

Couple of things that I didn't see addressed. I don't believe you can check weapons at the curb side check in. Only inside. One hour before flights used to be the norm. Decades ago that would work for international flights. I often did it with 20 minutes before flight time, even with checked luggage. Now it is an hour with carry on, 1.5-2 hours with checked luggage - maybe more at some airports. You never know how long the luggage lines and then the security lines are going to be.

It does not appear that TSA has any definition of what an acceptable case is, besides hard sided and lockable. The $30 single cases from Cabelas and others work fine, and also allow you to lock the weapon to the suitcase, or furniture or a car, if need be.

Why would you have considered taking the weapon if you didn't have a key to open it at your destination? Or, if they had insisted on inspection on return?

VIP Member
    Excellent information, I may be flying to West Va for my sis-in-law's b-day in the fall.

I use TSA Approved padlocks on the outer luggage and non-TSA Approved padlocks on the gun-case. All are combination rather than keyed.

I find my approach it very comfortable for all concerned when I just hand the person at the check-in counter a previously used "unloaded firearms declaration" tag from that same airline (if I've flown them before) and simply say, "I need to fill out ANOTHER one of these"!

That serves two purposes: (1) it shows them EXACTLY which tag to look for this time, and (2) assures them that I'm SURELY OKAY as it's obvious I've done it all before!

Question..

I lock the gun case with the lock of my choice(non-TSA approved), and put it in my suitcase. Can I lock my suitcase with another lock of my choice (non-TSA approved)? Or does the lock on the suitcase need to be TSA approved?
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    Question..

I lock the gun case with the lock of my choice(non-TSA approved), and put it in my suitcase. Can I lock my suitcase with another lock of my choice (non-TSA approved)? Or does the lock on the suitcase need to be TSA approved?
    The lock on the suitcase must be TSA approved. In my experience, I have stopped even putting TSA approved locks on my suitcases. TSA cuts off the locks anyway because they are too lazy or incompetent to go get one of their "approved" keys.

I now use a nylon wire tie to secure my suitcase.

I've used small zip ties in the past.. I assume that is what you are referring to?

Are the zip ties still kosher? Those are easy, and a great indicator if someone has gained entry to the suitcase.

I did notice that Southwest, which we're using, allows you to use a hardsided suitcase with your personal lock on the outside and as many firearms as you want on the inside - non of which are required to be locked in their own smaller boxes. I might go this route so that I can put laptops and other electronics in there that I don't want tampered with.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

I have posted about flying thru JFK in NY. Yes, people New York. I flew out of JFK last Tuesday (March 9th) I arrived at the airport 1:30 minutes before my flight. I walked in to the Delta terminal and one of the agents directed me to a self checking machine. I explained that I had an unloaded firearm that I need to check in at the counter. I walked thru the queue and up to the counter. I explained to the female counter agent that I had an uploaded firearm I need to declare. She picked up the phone and called the Port Authority Police and told them it was a non emergency call that she had a traveler checking a firearm. (This is normal procedure for the PAPD to check out all firearm in NY/NJ) About 10-12 minutes later 2 PA officers walked in a looked around. I gave a quick wave. They walked over. I handed them my Nassau County pistol permit and NYDL. While I was signing the orange card he marked down my info into his notebook. Returned everything to me. I asked if they wanted to see the unloaded firearm. Nah, we will do it across the street we don't want to scare the other passengers. We walked out of the terminal across the drop off area to the TSA screening area. Walked into the screening area. I opened my suitcase unlocked my box and they saw the lock thru the ejection port. The TSA agent said that the magazines had to be unloaded as well. I was carrying two 100 round boxes with me. At home I removed 20 rounds from one of the boxes to leave room if TSA wanted the rounds removed. I put the 20 rounds from the mags into the box. Locked the box locked the suitcase and as I was lifting the suitcase off the table 1 self defense round was left behind. I asked the officer to dispose of the loose round. These Port Authority officers were the nicest guys you could meet. Real Gentleman and professionals. The TSA checked the bag and away it went. The whole process took 35-45 minutes. I arrived in Dallas and I was good to go.
    Upon leaving Dallas I walked up to the counter and declared I have an unloaded firearm. I signed the form. I walked by myself to TSA. TSA checked the bag and away it went. The return took maybe 7 minutes. Easy Breezy.
    Once again it was so easy I would not travel without it. I am heading to Vegas in June and going to be taking a few guns with me.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    I've used small zip ties in the past.. I assume that is what you are referring to?

Are the zip ties still kosher? Those are easy, and a great indicator if someone has gained entry to the suitcase.

I did notice that Southwest, which we're using, allows you to use a hardsided suitcase with your personal lock on the outside and as many firearms as you want on the inside - non of which are required to be locked in their own smaller boxes. I might go this route so that I can put laptops and other electronics in there that I don't want tampered with.
    yep they are completely kosher. Sometimes I even use an odd ball color tie on the theory (possibly incorrect) that a thief attempting to go into the bag won't have an odd ball color tie to replace the one he removed. Maybe I'm just dreaming however. I still do it if I have colored ones lying around. I ship TV production gear the same way.

I have never flown SW but I hear the constant raves on their common sense policies. I think any airline would let you do that if the hard sided case is your pistol case. The only problem with that is where does the declaration tag go? If it's inside and TSA sees a non TSA lock, what prevents them from breaking the locks off since they can't know at first glance there is a firearm in the case. Just wondering.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I've flown 4 times this past year as a civilian and had no problem.
    1. I made certain i arrived an hour before official checkin.
    2. i have a approved case with Combination locks.

enjoy it while you can

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links