Have you ever washed your Glock?

This is a discussion on Have you ever washed your Glock? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My father had purchased a used Glock 22 several weeks back that was just drenched in oil plus there where metal fragments all throughout. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever washed your Glock?

Have you ever washed your Glock?

My father had purchased a used Glock 22 several weeks back that was just drenched in oil plus there where metal fragments all throughout. I kept wiping it down but it was like an artesian well of oil and grit was located somewhere inside.

Since I was getting many FTF's at the range and the trigger assembly felt gritty no matter how much I did standard cleaning, I decided to just wash the entire lower. I fully disassembled it and using some warm water and Palmolive, I thoroughly washed it along with all the parts except the 3 pins. After rinsing and drying it completely I reassembled it, adding only the tiniest hint of Rem-oil to the contact point of the trigger bar and connector as well as the rails.

The slide action and trigger pull now feels brand new again. Anyone else done this before?
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

All the time. I first learned this in the Marine Corps as it's the easiest and quickest way to clean machine guns.

I suggest learning how to do a full armorer breakdown if you're going to introduce water and soap.

Rinse with very hot water (I do it over a fine mesh colander) and allow a full air dry.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Mic
    Gumout engine cleaner and a presser washer, Glock can take it
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Aye, I did the full breakdown. I just didn't wash the slide and its components because I was able to rid it of oil and grit with cloth and Q-tips.

There was actually a little nick/burr on the surface of the connector that I had to file down. This wound up being the source of the gritty trigger pull. I don't think the original owner ever tore it down and cleaned it.

My Glock 27 is coming up on its first full tear down and cleaning. So far its just been field strip cleanings.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Bath time for your guns

I do it occasionally. Just make sure you dry it well after and oil it well.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I washed my 19 a while back.Stripped it down scrubbed it with a brush and soap in the sink,hung it in front of a fan to dry.Worked like a charm

I wash all of my guns about once every two years. I don't own any glocks.
    Last edited by jca1; March 16th, 2010 at 07:02 AM.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I have cleaned like that with kerosene. Wash the blackpowder rifle with Palmolive and hot water. We washed the mortars with soap and water.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Nope.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Their top rack safe. Go for it.

I thought they made kydex holsters so you could take a shower with your glock
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've heard of folks running their Glocks through the dishwasher before.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I kinda want to try the soap and water scrub now...my 'range' Glock has fired 20k+ rounds at this point and even though I have done detail strips, there probably still is some gunk built up in there.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I've heard of folks running their Glocks through the dishwasher before.
    A local cop told me they were shown that the dishwasher was the quickest, best way to get a dirty G22 inspection ready during training.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

When one of my firearms reach ~500rds or I deam it necessary, I will detail strip the weapon, and clean the crap out of it literally. I will do one of three methods. First, the dishwasher with no heat. Works well, I put the smaller parts like the springs, little pins, etc. in a mesh colander with a homemade lid so parts dont fly. Second method is the shower with me, again, in the same colander for the smaller pieces. This time, I take a AP brush in with me and get a good scrub. Or the third thing is to let the parts soak in a Dawn and warm water solution and scrub. After all the parts are clean, air dry, and reassemble. The dishwasher method is good, but not great. It tends to leave some gunk behind. The shower is also done with some dawn. Its very relaxing to just sit down with the running warm water flowing over me while I obsess over a piece of carbon glued to something! Be sure to let everything air day and reapply lube to all metal surfaces to prevent rusting.

Dawn dish soap works best for cutting grease and oil, IMO.

I just finished taking my Remington 597 .22 rifle in the shower with me yesterday. That one I'll let go for about 1500rds.

In the Corps, I used break cleaner to get my M16 inspection ready. I assume it would work well on other firearms, I just dont really see the need to use it anymore. I'm not really in that much of a hurry to get my rife inspection ready before a big 96!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links