South Dakota becomes the 5th state to exempt guns.

This is a discussion on South Dakota becomes the 5th state to exempt guns. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; REBELLION IN AMERICA 5th state exempts guns. Is Washington noticing? 'I think they're going to let it ride, hoping some judge throws out case' -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ...

Thread: South Dakota becomes the 5th state to exempt guns.

Senior Moderator

REBELLION IN AMERICA

5th state exempts guns. Is Washington noticing?
    'I think they're going to let it ride, hoping some judge throws out case'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: March 15, 2010
    9:11 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh
    2010 WorldNetDaily

A fifth state – South Dakota – has decided that guns made, sold and used within its borders no longer are subject to the whims of the federal government through its rule-making arm in the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and two supporters of the growing groundswell say they hope Washington soon will be taking note.

South Dakota Gov. Mike Rounds has signed into law his state's version of a Firearms Freedom Act that first was launched in Montana. It already is law there, in Tennessee, Utah and Wyoming, which took the unusual step of specifying criminal penalties – including both fines and jail time – for federal agents attempting to enforce a federal law on a "personal firearm" in the Cowboy State.

According to a report in the Dakota Voice, the new South Dakota law addresses the "rights of states which have been carelessly trampled by the federal government for decades."

"As the federal government has radically overstepped is constitutional limitations in the past year or so, an explosion of states have begun re-asserting their rights not only with regard to firearms, but also in shielding themselves against government health care, cap and trade global warming taxes, and more," the report said.

South Dakota's law specifically notes "any firearm, firearm accessory, or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in South Dakota and that remains within the borders of South Dakota is not subject to federal law or federal regulation, including registration, under the authority of Congress to regulate interstate commerce."

The provisions are nearly a mirror of the original law penned in Montana as well as those adopted in subsequent decisions by Tennessee, Utah and Wyoming.

Gary Marbut of the Montana Shooting Sports Association spearheaded the Montana law and now describes himself as a sort of "godfather" to the national campaign.

He told WND the issue is not only about guns but about states' rights and the constant overreaching by federal agencies and Washington to impose their requirements on in-state activities.

Here are answers to all your questions about guns, ammunition and accessories.

He said he's pleased South Dakota has become No. 5, and noted Alaska, Idaho and Oklahoma all have legislation that is approaching the stage of being presented to a governor to be made into law.

The Firearms Freedom Act website also reveals that other states either with pending legislation or pending plans include Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia.

Marbut said Washington appears to be reacting the same way it did when states legalized marijuana or rejected the REAL ID national plan: by ignoring it.

"Ultimately we hope there will be lawsuits in other federal circuits, because there are two things that predispose the U.S. Supreme Court to take a case: the national scope of the issue and differing appellate decisions," he told WND.

Michael Boldin of the Tenth Amendment Center said Washington likely is not anxious for a confrontation.

"I think they're going to let it ride, hoping some judge throws out the case," he said today.

"When they really start paying attention is when people actually start following the [state] firearms laws," he said.

WND reported earlier when Wyoming joined the states with self-declared exemptions from federal gun regulation.

But when Democratic Gov. Dave Freudenthal signed his state's bill into law, it included penalties for any agent of the U.S. who "enforces or attempts to enforce" federal gun rules on a "personal firearm" in Wyoming including up to two years in prison and up to $2,000 in fines.

The bellwether likely is to be a lawsuit pending over the Montana law, which was the first to go into effect.

As WND reported, the action was filed by the Second Amendment Foundation and the Montana Shooting Sports Association in U.S. District Court in Missoula, Mont., to validate the principles and terms of the Montana Firearms Freedom Act, which took effect Oct. 3, 2009.

Marbut argues that the federal government was created by the states to serve the states and the people, and it is time for the states to begin drawing boundaries for the federal government and its agencies.

The government's filing in the case demands its dismissal, citing a lacking of "standing" for the plaintiffs and the court's lack of "jurisdiction," as well as the Constitution's Commerce clause. The government filing argues, "The Supreme Court and Ninth Circuit have repeatedly held that even purely intrastate activities, such as those the MFFA purports to exempt from federal law, do affect interstate commerce and thus are within Congress' power to regulate. As a result, even if plaintiffs had standing and jurisdiction existed, plaintiffs' amended complaint fails to state a claim and must be dismissed."

The Commerce Clause, however, can be interpreted to have been amended by the 10th Amendment, which is part of the Bill of Rights, adopted subsequent to the U.S. Constitution, Marbut explains.

His organization said, "The Commerce Clause was amended – by the 10th Amendment. It is a bedrock principle of jurisprudence that for any conflict between provisions of a co-equal body of law, the most recently enacted must be given deference as the most recent expression of the enacting authority. This principle is ancient. Without this principle, laws could not be amended or repealed."

For example, U.S. courts repeatedly affirmed slavery before it ultimately was rejected.

There's no question that the components of the Bill of Rights have authority: Just look at the First Amendment, Marbut explained.

In an analysis by the Tenth Amendment Center, the gun laws were described as a nullification.

"Laws of the federal government are to be supreme in all matters pursuant to the delegated powers of U.S. Constitution. When D.C. enacts laws outside those powers, state laws trump. And, as Thomas Jefferson would say, when the federal government assumes powers not delegated to it, those acts are 'unauthoritative, void, and of no force' from the outset," Boldin wrote.

"When a state 'nullifies' a federal law, it is proclaiming that the law in question is void and inoperative, or 'non-effective,' within the boundaries of that state; or, in other words, not a law as far as the state is concerned. Implied in such legislation is that the state apparatus will enforce the act against all violations – in order to protect the liberty of the state's citizens," he continued.

5th state exempts guns. Is Washington noticing?

What do you think? Is America getting tired of Washingtons antics?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

So no more Class 3 restrictions in these states eh?

Interesting!

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I didn't see Delaware listed anywhere? Well, we are the "First State", it's hard to figure why we're close to last on some issues?

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    So no more Class 3 restrictions in these states eh?

Interesting!

J
    There are class 3 restrictions,you cannot possess a FA firearm manufactured after the 1986 ban.This has to do with revolvers, pistols ,rifles,and shotguns manufactured in state and sold in state.Any firearm sold outside the state lines would fall under Federal law
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Way to go SD! We need many more states to express their sovereignty.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Way to go SD! We need many more states to express their sovereignty.
    Yes. This is awesome. Forget about guns, this is a state's rights issue. And it's about time. I hope more states get on the bandwagon.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Yes. This is awesome. Forget about guns, this is a state's rights issue. And it's about time. I hope more states get on the bandwagon.
    I don't want to forget about guns! I agree it's about much more than guns though. They are the perfect issue to use in declaring our sovereignty.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Having grown up in Hot Springs I'm surprised they weren't the first.

VIP Member
    Took a shot at it in Virginia, this year.

Maybe next year.

Way to go SD.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Excellent news! I hope that laws like these find their way into every state.

Brian

This party is only getting started.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Ok, in plain English, what does this stuff mean?

Senior Moderator
    Ok, in plain English, what does this stuff mean?
    It means that if a firearm is built in that state and it never leaves that state, that it is not subject to federal regulation.

No yellow 4473 forms to fill out.

Technically, one could build a suppressor or a full auto weapon in that state without jumping through all the red tape. Any firearm manufactured would not bound by Federal Law.

It also means that if some point in time, the fools in Congress decide to pass a law that makes unregistered firearms illegal, that firearms manufactured in the states that have exempted them will not be bound by such law, which means that you would have to register them.

If you think about it...

WHY would the Federal Government want to know or NEED to know what you own or don't own? Unless of course, someone in the Federal Government didn't trust you.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It is going to get very interesting if other states keep building on this success.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sponsored Links