firing pin breaking??

This is a discussion on firing pin breaking?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I know that firing pins break. But have you ever heard of a pin breaking and causing the handgun to go full auto??? ok ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firing pin breaking??

firing pin breaking??

Ok, I know that firing pins break. But have you ever heard of a pin breaking and causing the handgun to go full auto???

ok here is the back story.

My wife and I went to a rod and gun club that we are joining for an interview. Well we are being shown around the guide (and interviewer) told us that some one shot 7 rounds in the same hole full auto be accident when the firing pin broke. the rounds when through the floor and hit (and where stopped by a steel chair (that the club still has{no I did not see the chair}).

What do you think??
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 17th, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by EBC View Post
    Ok, I know that firing pins break. But have you ever heard of a pin breaking and causing the handgun to go full auto???

ok here is the back story.

My wife and I went to a rod and gun club that we are joining for an interview. Well we are being shown around the guide (and interviewer) told us that some one shot 7 rounds in the same hole full auto be accident when the firing pin broke. the rounds when through the floor and hit (and where stopped by a steel chair (that the club still has{no I did not see the chair}).

What do you think??
    Sounds like a "Tall Tale" to me, or maybe a little (or a lot) of embellishment on an "accidental" discharge.
    While it is rare but possible for a mechanical failure to cause some guns to go full auto, the bullets would not all go in the same hole, each round would, due to recoil, go higher than the one before.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Sounds like a made up story to me too.

However I can see an instance when a broken firing pin could wedge the tip in the forward position causing a slam fire of the remaining rounds.

I've been shooting 1911's for many years now and have never had or heard of a firing pin breaking. There's just not that much stress on a firing pin.

Extractors, yes. Broke one myself last year. Of course it most likely had 20,000 rounds through it at the time.

Maybe that guide was just stressing that it is a very good idea to keep all firearms pointed downrange at all times.

...Skye...

I had a firing pin broke on a S&W 22a 22LR pistol and I got a slam fire when the bolt closed,I've shot several FA guns including a couple 22 converts,I doubt anybody had 7 rounds go thru the same hole especially if it wasn't expected.I call BS
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

BS!! I have heard of rounds being fired from a broken firing pin, maybe one or two. But not 7 and not through the same hole. Total BS!

lol that is what I thought, But I thought I better ask people with more knowledge then me. I thought is was BS. I will try to find the chair and get pics.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

What they said....sounds like a fish story...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I'd call BS on a broken firing pin causing a gun to go full auto. I'm not positive, but I believe broken sear could cause it, since it would not hold the hammer in the cocked position.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have had a shotgun and a 22 auto pistol, I think it was my Buckmark, go full auto from being extremly dirty. The bullets did not all go into the same hole.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    a lot of surplus SKS will go full auto if the owner forgets to clean the cosmoline out of the bolt before shooting.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I had a Beretta 21A with a gummed up fire pin that would slam fire 2-3 rounds at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd call BS on a broken firing pin causing a gun to go full auto. I'm not positive, but I believe broken sear could cause it, since it would not hold the hammer in the cocked position.
    Usually it's a worn sear,it has just enough surface to retard the hammer drop and allow a solid primer strike,otherwise the hammer would ride forward with the slide and not cause enough force on the firing pin to detonate the round
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Usually it's a worn sear,it has just enough surface to retard the hammer drop and allow a solid primer strike,otherwise the hammer would ride forward with the slide and not cause enough force on the firing pin to detonate the round
    An inertia driven firing pin (common with many hammer/sear pistols) will also lessen the chance of this happening.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've seen it happen, and now when I'm test firing a gun for repair purposes, I only load two or three rounds in it for the first test. Lots of things could cause it, but the one that happened to me was with a Taurus 24/7.

If you've fired a FA of any kind, but especially a machine pistol, you'll see it's hard enough to control to hit a target when you're expecting it to fire a burst. Zero % chance of hitting a small group at all when it's a surprise.

had that happen to a friend of mine at the range. it started shooting 2-3 rounds at once. had another friend whose went full full auto (shooting entire mag like that)
    both 1911s. it happens
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links