Fire mission/poll: Should police sell or destroy crime guns?

This is a discussion on Fire mission/poll: Should police sell or destroy crime guns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Thanis Vote, guns in bars, np. I can't agree on the other issue. A firearm used in a crime, as in it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire mission/poll: Should police sell or destroy crime guns?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Vote, guns in bars, np.

I can't agree on the other issue. A firearm used in a crime, as in it was fired and now the ballistics are part of a court case, and later it could be match up to some other crime. As in the firearm some thug used to kill someones father, mother, etc. I don't feel like making that a pro-gun issue.

Let me carry (with no background check, fees, or prevent carry in everyday places), don't create ridiculous restrictions to own, and I'm good.

I'm sorry guys, at the very least I say destroy parts of it.

In addition, I don't want to deal with the anti-reaction when sooner or later some resold firearm bought 3 or 4 times at a LE auction is involved in multiple crimes. Likely to happen, no, but sooner or later would.
    Unless guns become registered there is no way of knowing if the guns in your safe at home was used in a crime. If you are totally against the PD selling the guns to raise money then you should go home and destroy all your used guns just in case they where sold by a PD at one time. While your at it might as well destroy all the new guns you have because they might one day be used in a crime.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Well, even if they did not want to sell the complete firearm...they can take the firearms apart and sell a "parts package" minus the receivers and still make a decent dollar by listing "all parts minus the receiver" on Gunbroker.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let's see...
    They sell cars they confiscate. They destroy guns they confiscate.
    Cars kill more people than guns. Huh?

If it will lower my taxes, I hope they sell everything they can--including their souls!
    Wait, they've already done that.
    (That's a joke, folks.)
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

While the comparison to cars is fair, and I'm not asking anyone to change their mind. Only consider it is not a pure gun rights issue.

I for one would never purchase a firearm that had been used in a crime, as I would not want to deal with other potential issues.

I respect the emotional reaction of victims who will learn that, for example, the firearm used to kill their love one is being sold.

In addition, more studies need to be done concerning how criminals aquire firerarms. Many state stolen, but it is not really a factual statement. I believe most LE agree most are purchased via straw purchase (followed by a minority of gun dealers who supply criminals). The "time to crime" studies are full of holes (and clearly bias based on the group that funds the study).

For this reason, I'm not going to make this my pro-gun issue, because I'm looking forward to the day that I don't have to pay for a back ground check every three years to do what 2A guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, even if they did not want to sell the complete firearm...they can take the firearms apart and sell a "parts package" minus the receivers and still make a decent dollar by listing "all parts minus the receiver" on Gunbroker.
    I'm 100% for that. Maybe barrels and firing pins would be destroyed, part the rest.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Destroy them
    30% (181 votes)
    Sell or trade them
    70% (432 votes)
    Total votes: 613

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    While the comparison to cars is fair, and I'm not asking anyone to change their mind. Only consider it is not a pure gun rights issue.

I for one would never purchase a firearm that had been used in a crime, as I would not want to deal with other potential issues.

I respect the emotional reaction of victims who will learn that, for example, the firearm used to kill their love one is being sold.

In addition, more studies need to be done concerning how criminals aquire firerarms. Many state stolen, but it is not really a factual statement. I believe most LE agree most are purchased via straw purchase (followed by a minority of gun dealers who supply criminals). The "time to crime" studies are full of holes (and clearly bias based on the group that funds the study).

For this reason, I'm not going to make this my pro-gun issue, because I'm looking forward to the day that I don't have to pay for a back ground check every three years to do what 2A guarantees.

I'm 100% for that. Maybe barrels and firing pins would be destroyed, part the rest.
    That's fair enough Thanis, I'm just looking for some conversation on such issue like these for others to back up their thoughts with reasons like you did, thank you.

This is a discussion board and I just want to liven up the discussion portion alittle here and there, no harm, no foul, I see a lot of points and views, but not a lot of discussions per say, I know many here have been here longer and are probably discussed out, but it never hurts to try. So I'll keep trying.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Should police departments destroy confiscated firearms or sell or trade them for better equipment?
    Destroy them
    27% (184 votes)
    Sell or trade them
    73% (499 votes)
    Total votes: 683
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Lets not fall into the anti-gun trap of blaming the gun for the actions of a bad person. Will you not buy his house, or car? What about the money that passed through his hands? What about his offspring? Are they tainted as well?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Lets not fall into the anti-gun trap of blaming the gun for the actions of a bad person. Will you not buy his house, or car? What about the money that passed through his hands? What about his offspring? Are they tainted as well?
    My point exactly.
    As for the victims, would executing the firearm make them feel any better than executing the killer?

It's not the tool that's to blame, it's the individual.
    Someone will buy the killers house, someone will pay parts from the drunk driver's wrecked car. Why not let the City (county, state, etc) have another source of revenue other than my pocket.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Its just like drug money gets dispersed to the Police Dept so too could "gun money"

VIP Member

Bad Person -- Not bad tool

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My point exactly.
    As for the victims, would executing the firearm make them feel any better than executing the killer?

It's not the tool that's to blame, it's the individual.
    Someone will buy the killers house, someone will pay parts from the drunk driver's wrecked car. Why not let the City (county, state, etc) have another source of revenue other than my pocket.
    BINGO!

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely!

For that matter, if the family of the victim wants to, let them but the "crime gun" or "bad tool" and excute it themselves.

FWIIW, it always amaze me the number of "I'm pro 2A, but [fill in the blank with anti-RKBA arguments such as blame-the-tool, training/testing/proficiency-required, don't-trust-folk-with-guns, etc]" there are around.

I could go out and buy a new high $ gun, if I had a $ for every time I heard a anti-RKBA witness/lobbyist/pol start a pitch/defense with that expression and/or end it w/ the term "with reasonable controls/restrictions/limits/etc."

Speaking of the I-don't-trust-folk-with-guns point of view, I watched a short TV exchange on this issue between an Anti-RKBA restaurant manager and the President of VCDL, last night. The Anti-RKBA restaurant manager main point started as I-don't-trust-my customers-with-guns and when challenged about his clientèle expanded to I-don't-trust-people.

IMHO, that is the "Projection" talked about athttp://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/second-amendment-gun-legislation-discussion/100064-psychological-profile-gun-banners-md.html

"Projection is a particularly insidious defense mechanism, because it not only prevents a person from dealing with his own feelings, it also creates a world where he perceives everyone else as directing his own hostile feelings back at him.

All people have violent, and even homicidal, impulses. For example, it's common to hear people say "I'd like to kill my boss", or "If you do that one more time I'm going to kill you." They don't actually mean that they're going to, or even would, kill anyone; they're simply acknowledging anger and frustration. All of us suffer from fear and feelings of helplessness and vulnerability. Most people can acknowledge feelings of rage, fear, frustration, jealousy, etc. without having to act on them in inappropriate and destructive ways.

Some people, however, are unable consciously to admit that they have such "unacceptable" emotions. They may have higher than average levels of rage, frustration, or fear. Perhaps they fear that if they acknowledge the hostile feelings, they will lose control and really will hurt someone. They may believe that "good people" never have such feelings, when in fact all people have them.

This is especially true now that education "experts" commonly prohibit children from expressing negative emotions or aggression. Instead of learning that such emotions are normal, but that destructive behavior needs to be controlled, children now learn that feelings of anger are evil, dangerous and subject to severe punishment. To protect themselves from "being bad", they are forced to use defense mechanisms to avoid owning their own normal emotions. Unfortunately, using such defense mechanisms inappropriately can endanger their mental health; children need to learn how to deal appropriately with reality, not how to avoid it."

What he was saying was he doesn't trust himself, therefore....

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    what potential issues are there involved with a gun that may have been used in a crime?...if ballistics matches your gun to a crime commited before you purchased it there is no issue...you purchased the gun legally and ahve documentation to prove it...

its an inatimate object guys...it doesnt have a mind of its own and it isnt going to get you into trouble...its a great way for law enforcment agencies to bring in some extra cash and eliminates wasting perfectly good firearms...

i'd buy em in a heartbeat...

the anti gun crowd is gonna have a field day with any gun used in a crime...if previous crime used guns are not available it isnt going to stop anyone who wants to commit a crime from getting one...

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Assuming the serial numbers are intact, and the guns were not illegally modified in any way. (Sawed of shotgun for example.)

Then I see no reason not to sell them. After of course they make an effort to return the likely stolen guns to their rightful owners.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Should police departments destroy confiscated firearms or sell or trade them for better equipment?
    Destroy them
    25% (184 votes)

Sell or trade them
    75% (539 votes)

Total votes: 723

My view is this:

I have a big problem with the destruction part, because I had some guns stolen years ago and they were never recovered, despite catching the guys that did it; a couple of years back, I found out from an LEO friend that many of the guns recovered, especially if they are nice ones get sold out the back door to other LEOs or their buddies long after the cases are settled. I think at the very least, the stolen property should be returned to their respective owners and the owners should decide the fate of their property.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links