2010 Census

This is a discussion on 2010 Census within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; +1 on the idiotic "notification" letter that my census in in the mail. So now, the cost of postage for the 2010 census has just ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Census

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    +1 on the idiotic "notification" letter that my census in in the mail. So now, the cost of postage for the 2010 census has just doubled. How smart is that? Your (and mine) tax dollar at work. The person behind that letter should have to pay the postage (to every household!).

It's much simplier than the 2000 census. Nothing asked that isn't already pretty much part of public records. 2-3 minutes and done.

Didn't care for the sections asking for the models and serial numbers of all my guns though. I thought that was being a bit nosey.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

My father is a retired supervisory federal investigator from OPM and out of boredom and curiosity he applied for a 2010 Census regional supervisor position to see what's going on in the inner workings. He got the job. So, it will be interesting to see what information he learns about the process.

He does Voter's Rights trips too and gets to visit areas that have traditionally hostile voting polls. His favorite are the Native American reservations.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    the census was established constitutionally for one purpose: to count the number of persons, and their geographic distribution in the country for determining the number of representatives sent to DC from each voting district. All other information is, in my opinion, nothing but data mining for the purposes of unconstitutional social engineering.

If you go back and look at the information "required" on the census forms beginning in 1790, it was the bare bones "count". By the mid 1800's there were a few more personal questions asked, then during the progressive movement 1910's-1920's, a lot more personal questions asked. Each successive period seems to have become more intrusive...particularly the "long form" that a small percentage seem to receive.

I don't like social engineering!

surv

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I don't really understand why they ask so many questions as to race, age, what type of home you live in (i.e. house, apartment, mobile home etc.). What good is this information in counting the citizens?
    Its about voting redistricting and money, question #1 is the only one that is constitutional, which is the only one I answered.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I just got my form in the mail today. It took about ten minutes to fill out. Pretty innocuous. Half of the form space concerns racial questions. I thought we were supposed to be past that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    +1 on the idiotic "notification" letter that my census in in the mail. So now, the cost of postage for the 2010 census has just doubled. How smart is that? Your (and mine) tax dollar at work. The person behind that letter should have to pay the postage (to every household!).
    From Q&A: How much did it cost to mail Census notification letters? - NewsChannel 9 WSYR:

"The Census Office says their research shows that the advance letters will increase response rates by 6%, and that will save a lot of money in the long run.

It may cost $0.42 to process a letter, but it costs $57 to send a census worker to someone's door to remind them to fill out the questionnaire."

The logic is that increased initial response rates reduce costs later. My gut response was that this is stupid, but if it increases response rates by under 1% the effort breaks even.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I only answer the questions about how many people live here. Everything else is BS.

As to their mailing out of the letters though. There are hard numbers out there that would suggest that extra mailings are cheaper than sending people out who throw away the forms the first time through.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Got mine yesterday and sent it out today, no bid deal. The questions were not too intrusive.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    I only answer the questions about how many people live here. Everything else is BS.
    One.

=====

I've heard some folks harangue about all the detail of the questions, and how supposedly there isn't any authority to ask questions beyond gaining a count of people.

A quick check of the U.S. Constitution and U.S. Code Title 13 shows the authorization for the Census and its detail.

• U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 2, Clause 3 -- Authority for Census taking.

• The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

• U.S. Code, Title 13 -- Census law, describing the method.

• Chapter 1, Subchapter 1, Subsection 5 -- Describes where the questionnaire content comes from.

• Chapter 7, SubChapter 2, Subsection 221 -- Describes refusal to provide answers to questions.

The long and short of it is, the authority for a questionnaire's contents to be created by law is specified in the Constitution. Title 13 is the law authorizing the Census procedures and administration. Basically, while a person need not reply to questions if desired, Title 13 law does allow for penalties not to exceed $100 to be levied on individuals choosing to not answer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

got it today. 10 questions, nothing to it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

got mine.... not sure y they need to know what race i am...

Extremely simple, and I finally got counted..they missed me in 2000 and 1990.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I remember, I think it was last year, filling out a government American Community Survey that was a lot more fun. They had all kind of funky questions like how many bathrooms were in my house, etc.

I think people who stress out over this kind of stuff have not enough real issues in their lives.

They recently changed the forms again.... about 1 month ago I believe.

Got one stuck in my door and they had the wrong address on it .... there is no such address in this town. So, does that mean I don't have to fill it out ?

Got it today. Weren't much to it. Probably get the long form next week or some such nonsense.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links