2010 Census - Page 3

2010 Census

This is a discussion on 2010 Census within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The question about whether your children are biological or adopted was intrusive. Phone number is also annoying. And asking about race should be totally unnecessary. ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Census

The question about whether your children are biological or adopted was intrusive. Phone number is also annoying. And asking about race should be totally unnecessary.

I answered everything (except middle initials) but not without muttering some choice expletives.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Come on guys, the first mailing was a "Stimulus Package" for the Post Office. They are hurting because everyone is using the Internet/Email or forums to speak to each other causing the Post Office to be loosing ground.

If it is like the last census, there is a short form and a long form. The long form doesn't go out to everyone, and is used to profile the population, like an academic study survey. The short form goes out to many more people, and covers basically the same information that I've seen collected in the 1840 Census, and probably before. I got the short form.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    The long form is the American Community Survey and it looks like this:
    http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downlo...nglish_web.pdf

I did get a laugh out of the section where it asks the persons age and DOB.
    Do they really still need Person 1's age, when they have the date of birth?
    The purpose of the Census is to count the population. If they can't figure out someone's age when given the DOB, we could all be in trouble.

Fortunately I got the standard Census version and filled it out, but oops I might have written in the wrong phone number.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    If it is like the last census, there is a short form and a long form. The long form doesn't go out to everyone, and is used to profile the population, like an academic study survey. The short form goes out to many more people, and covers basically the same information that I've seen collected in the 1840 Census, and probably before. I got the short form.
    Dude, if you've been around since the 1840 Census...congratulations. And you still stay up 'til 3:00 am...or is it you get up at 3:00 am? Either way, you're the man!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Lead Moderator
    Got mine and I have to admit I was a little surprised. Some of the past ones asked for a little something that historians could use some day, like occupation.

Oh well...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Dude, if you've been around since the 1840 Census...congratulations.
    Read! He said he'd seen it!

The census is released into the public record after an amount of time set by law (I think it's 70 years) and they are widely used in different types of research after release. They can be a great source of information if you are doing family research.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Got ours on Monday, I didn't see the racial thing other then what was the race of each person in the house, I don't see that has being racial, it was individual as far as I saw. It was easy and not intrusive at all. Heck, loan paperwork is more intrusive then this thing.

Took 10 minutes and it's gone back already.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I have talked to the wife and we agreed she will answer the numerical questions everything else gets NOYFB (which I did on the 1990 long form census). They say it is a $100 fine for unanswered questions and $500 for untrue answers; NOYFB is a truthful answer!

What does our race, age, phone number and what kind of house we live in got to do with "apportioning" represenitives in the US House.

I'm curious why all of a sudden Hispanic origins are NOT considered races?

Seems like they are assuming the majority is of Hispanic origin and the rest are now "other", I realize this may be the case but something smells.
    Last edited by joker1; March 17th, 2010 at 06:43 PM.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    From Q&A: How much did it cost to mail Census notification letters? - NewsChannel 9 WSYR:

"The Census Office says their research shows that the advance letters will increase response rates by 6%, and that will save a lot of money in the long run.

It may cost $0.42 to process a letter, but it costs $57 to send a census worker to someone's door to remind them to fill out the questionnaire."

The logic is that increased initial response rates reduce costs later. My gut response was that this is stupid, but if it increases response rates by under 1% the effort breaks even.
    The problem is that they spent $.42 to mail to every household for a 6% increase in response but would only have to spend the Money to send workers to a portion of the households.

Take the number of total mailing X $.42 and the number of workers sent out at $57 each. I'm thinking the mailings will come out on top.

If it were that simple, the IRS would be sending you out reminders to file your taxes, but that would be counter-productive to their penelties and interest scam!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Read! He said he'd seen it!

The census is released into the public record after an amount of time set by law (I think it's 70 years) and they are widely used in different types of research after release. They can be a great source of information if you are doing family research.

Oh yeah! Call my number in 70 years and see if I answer!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yep....got mine yesterday, no controversial questions on it in my mind. Forgot to grab it on the way to work this morning. Guess I'll send it tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Haven't received mine yet, however, I did receive the letter telling me it was in the mail, what a waste of money,two mailings, stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I have to agree with this. They also wasted a ton of money on postage when they sent out paperwork telling us they were sending out stimulus checks!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    +1 on the idiotic "notification" letter that my census in in the mail. So now, the cost of postage for the 2010 census has just doubled. How smart is that? Your (and mine) tax dollar at work. The person behind that letter should have to pay the postage (to every household!).

It's much simplier than the 2000 census. Nothing asked that isn't already pretty much part of public records. 2-3 minutes and done.

Didn't care for the sections asking for the models and serial numbers of all my guns though. I thought that was being a bit nosey.
    For the record guys. The Government already pays all the mail carriers, post masters, etc.

All the postage you guys are complaining about is paid from the Govt. to the Govt. It's like writing a check to yourself. There is no real cost to the Govt. other than the price of paper and ink.

The US government doesn't really pay postage.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    I think it would be a good thing to know, if used properly. They could determine where to use our tax money, for legal residents and such.
    As far as giving up info to the government, they can find out pretty much anything they want to know about us anyway.
    You have nailed it right on the head, my brother works for the Census and that is exactly what he said, they are doing it for WHERE TO USE the TAX money and counting how many people we have in the country

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links