2010 Census - Page 5

2010 Census

This is a discussion on 2010 Census within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jca1 I'm sick of the gubment throwing our money around like candy wrappers. I know what you mean. Nobody suckin' on the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Census

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    I'm sick of the gubment throwing our money around like candy wrappers.
    I know what you mean.

Nobody suckin' on the gravy seems to mind, and none seem to really listen. No matter how lucid the argument, direct the questions, or seemingly disgusting and vapid their answers. We're gonna get what we'll get, and it ain't gonna be pretty. That much is true.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I tossed mine. I filled out my taxes. They already know everything about me. If they can't figure that much out, then they don't deserve to know.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I have to agree with this. They also wasted a ton of money on postage when they sent out paperwork telling us they were sending out stimulus checks!
    What?
    That mailing to tell everybody that their census form would soon arrive only cost us 300 Million taxpayer dollars.
    That's chickenfeed.

Here in AZ they are trying to make sure all the illegals get to fill out their census.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member

Huh???

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    It appears to me, based on the on-line example, they want to know who you are, how many illegals live in your home and your phone number.
    Respectfully,

Craig
    There was not a single question about citizenship or legal status on the form I got. I don't know where you got the idea that they want to know "how many illegals live in your home." I hope that was tongue in cheek.

I did find their one question on race odd. They seem to have confused national origin and ethnicity with race.

Overall, a big improvement from the past.

Dingbats

Why the race questions?

If I am white and 200 years ago my ancestors came from South Africa am I an African American?

I marked other and put American.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I'm curious why all of a sudden Hispanic origins are NOT considered races?

Seems like they are assuming the majority is of Hispanic origin and the rest are now "other", I realize this may be the case but something smells.
    We discussed this in Biological Anthropology this week, Hispanics are not a race it's a reference to linguistic background. Meaning you came from a country that speaks spanish.

Furthermore the concept of race is completely outdated, from a biological standpoint, there is no significant difference between people of different backgrounds, that is there are no subspecies of homo-sapiens.

I find the whole "race" question to be offensive. Especially when you look at the diversity of answers given to the various "races" (ie all the option under "asian") yet "white" people are ONLY classified by the color of their skin. Even further most options given under "race" speak to nationality of origin, only "white" and "black" are actual references to the so called "race".

Why does the Government keep trying to segregate and classify people based on intangible factors? So much for progress I guess.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

that is what i thought nothing they didn't already know

Race: human
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I thought we were supposed to be working toward being a 'color-blind society'.
    The census shows that our government wants nothing of that concept.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I have no problems answering a Constitutionally mandated census. If you have a Social Security number everybody already knows your secrets.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Race: human
    Bingo!

Also, how stupid is our government that they have to ask BOTH my age and DOB? I practiced civil disobedience and jsut gave them the less intrusive off the two.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by 55spartan View Post
    that is what i thought nothing they didn't already know
    Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    I have no problems answering a Constitutionally mandated census. If you have a Social Security number everybody already knows your secrets.
    Nowhere on the Census does it ask for your SSN. It is not addressed to you, it is only addressed "To Resident At", so yes it is information they do not already know.

The government in general may know most or all of this info about you, and some of it may be with one agency and some with another, but the Census Agency itself doesn't already know this information.

Some of this information I feel leads to/is used for prejudice polices and some of it I feel is none of their business. I have no problem with the Census bureau getting a count of Americans per area, but that's all they should need to designate Representatives and tax funds. They do not need personal information to do this and they do not need Race or Origin questions. The Census should be 3 or 4 questions at most. How many legal Citizens live at this address and what are the age groups of these citizens would address the enumeration issue for representatives and tax funds purposes.

And BTW, everyone who has already sent the Census back in has answered a couple questions untruthfully. The question ask how many people live or stayed in your residence on April 1, 2010. Since this date has not arrived, you have no way of knowing for sure and thus could not of answered truthfully, only guessed/assumed that things wouldn't have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    One.

=====

I've heard some folks harangue about all the detail of the questions, and how supposedly there isn't any authority to ask questions beyond gaining a count of people.

A quick check of the U.S. Constitution and U.S. Code Title 13 shows the authorization for the Census and its detail.

• U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 2, Clause 3 -- Authority for Census taking.

• The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

• U.S. Code, Title 13 -- Census law, describing the method.

• Chapter 1, Subchapter 1, Subsection 5 -- Describes where the questionnaire content comes from.

• Chapter 7, SubChapter 2, Subsection 221 -- Describes refusal to provide answers to questions.

The long and short of it is, the authority for a questionnaire's contents to be created by law is specified in the Constitution. Title 13 is the law authorizing the Census procedures and administration. Basically, while a person need not reply to questions if desired, Title 13 law does allow for penalties not to exceed $100 to be levied on individuals choosing to not answer.
    I asked and was informed that any information I put down was confidential. They told me there was no way of identifying me from my form I send in. Then I asked them how they would know who to fine if I chose not to answer some questions.

They just gave me the "look".

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I find everything objectionable on the census form except question # 1.
    Me too. I answered question #1 and enclosed the following:

Article I, Section 2 of our constitution reads: "The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct."

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." Thomas Jefferson
    Some interpret "in such Manner as they shall by Law direct" as permission to gain personal, private information which they have no constitutional authority to do. I believe it means they may obtain the count in what manner the law directs; door to door, mail, carrier pigeon, smoke signals etc.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links