2010 Census

This is a discussion on 2010 Census within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Did you notice that question 1 was inside a box with the directions? To me it was set off from the other questions. I answered ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 2010 Census

Distinguished Member
    Did you notice that question 1 was inside a box with the directions? To me it was set off from the other questions.

I answered them all. Doing ancestry searches, I have found the names, DOB in the released census data both interesting and useful. My great, great grandfather had 3 wives and about 20 kids. A different spouse in 1910, 1920, and 1930.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    "American" is a nationality, not a race.

Yeah, funny isn't it?
    Reminds me of the pathetic document that was released by the obama campaign (the certificate of live birth), that was void of all the normal information normally found on birth certificates and certificates of live births. It only had name, race(African?) and date.

As for the census, what's the excuse they use for why they request names?
    Answer ID 7556
    2010 Census: Names
    Q. Why do you want our names?
    A. We request names for the following reasons:

• To help ensure that people are not counted twice in the census,
    • To help eliminate simple errors like counting "Mary Jones" as a male, and
    To allow you, and only you, to obtain a record from the Census Bureau at a later time if necessary for proving age, citizenship, or family relationship. Some people need this information to qualify for Social Security benefits, to obtain passports, and to have official proof for other purposes.

Although names are requested, we treat names the same as other census information in that all the information you provide to us is protected by law and strictly confidential. Information collected is used for statistical purposes only: the Census Bureau cannot publish or release information that would identify you or your household.

-It says that they are asking for names so that the census taker may be able to 'obtain a record from the Census Bureau at a later time if necessary for proving age, citizenship, or family relationship.'

I can construe this in no other other way but to assume they are setting up a system for illegal immigrant aliens to become legal American citizens since they are not only allowing, but wanting illegal immigrant aliens to participate in the census.

On one hand they say information sent in to and recorded by the census takers can be used as resources to prove citizenship and to obtain 'official' papers such as citizenship papers or passports and even social security benefits while on the other hand they say that the information collected will be used for statistical purposes only.

Sounds like more corruption to me. This has to stop. And in November of this year is when we start to correct the problem.

Last edited by P7fanatic; March 20th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    "American" is a nationality, not a race.

We are always doing stuff like that. Sort of like "Jewish" is a religion, not a race. And I don't even want to start on the "(fill in country/region)-American" crap.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I won't be answering any question but #1.
    I find any other question to be none of anybodies business.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    We discussed this in Biological Anthropology this week, Hispanics are not a race it's a reference to linguistic background. Meaning you came from a country that speaks spanish.

Furthermore the concept of race is completely outdated, from a biological standpoint, there is no significant difference between people of different backgrounds, that is there are no subspecies of homo-sapiens.

I find the whole "race" question to be offensive. Especially when you look at the diversity of answers given to the various "races" (ie all the option under "asian") yet "white" people are ONLY classified by the color of their skin. Even further most options given under "race" speak to nationality of origin, only "white" and "black" are actual references to the so called "race".

Why does the Government keep trying to segregate and classify people based on intangible factors? So much for progress I guess.
    You make an interesting point. The common interpretation of "Hispanic" means someone from the Carribbean, Central or South American areas for whom Spanish (or Portugese) is the first language.

However, the Spanish themselves are white Europeans... so presumably a native Spaniard living in the US would be counted as being of Hispanic race?

I wish we could lose the term Hispanic and use the proper term "mestizo" to reflect the blend of conquering Spanish and the indigenous ("indian") population.

Slightly different census topic: the Constitution authorizes only a head count, nothing about name or race or age. I only responded with the number and gender of people living in our house, leaving out names and dates of birth.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Then I asked them how they would know who to fine if I chose not to answer some questions.

They just gave me the "look".

Michael
    I call it the minimum-wage stare, like the one TSA gives you when you ask a question!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Bingo!

Also, how stupid is our government that they have to ask BOTH my age and DOB? I practiced civil disobedience and jsut gave them the less intrusive off the two.
    Uh-oh. I give them last year's age. Crap! That's gonna cost me $100.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Unfortunetly my wife intercepted it in the mail and returned it before I could get a hold of it. Here's how I would have filled it out. . . . . .

•Name: Pierced Armor
    •Sex: Yes (before marraige), No (Currently married)
    •Date of birth: Ask Chiyome Fukino, she's seen my birth certificate to.
    •Hispanic origin: I vacation in Mexico at times.
    •Race: American, thank you.
    •Household relationship: okay, but she's mad at me since I still haven't painted her or unclogged the gutters.
    •If you own or rent: Have done both.

:-) PA

Got ours two weeks ago. I filled it out and didn't see anything sinister, and I was looking.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Did anyone mention the census was illegaly taken over by the white house last year. Kinda suspicious dont ya think?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

We never recieved one.

All they need to know is how many people live in the home and maybe the ages. They even asked what kind of heat we had. I only answered two questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbwire View Post
    All they need to know is how many people live in the home and maybe the ages. They even asked what kind of heat we had. I only answered two questions.
    Bless you Barbwire. It aint none of their bussiness.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Bless you Barbwire. It aint none of their bussiness.
    In '90 I got one of the long forms, I answered the enumeration questions; everything else got NOYFB in red sharpie

As my @ is in the middle of Iraq right now I instructed the wife to only answer the number of residents and put NOYFB in the rest. I have no idea if she really did it, she tends to be compliant to authority.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I had fun coming up with racial descriptions for myself, my wife and my son. I briefly toyed with the idea of filling out the form for the 9 other imaginary friends who live with us, but decided against it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links