2010 Census

This is a discussion on 2010 Census within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got the census in the mail today. I contains no questions on it that the IRS doesn't already know about me. It has ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Census

VIP Member

2010 Census

I just got the census in the mail today. I contains no questions on it that the IRS doesn't already know about me. It has nothing on it about firearms or political affiliations. Just thought some of you'd like to know.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

I think the Government just wants to track how many people are in the U.S, and where?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I also got mine yesterday, and did not find anything objectionable.
    Jerry

I think it would be a good thing to know, if used properly. They could determine where to use our tax money, for legal residents and such.
    As far as giving up info to the government, they can find out pretty much anything they want to know about us anyway.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

I believe that anything that would be considered "controversial" is rightfully kept out of the census. The whole point is to get as accurate a count as possible. Any questionable ... um ... questions would just reduce response rates.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

A lot less inquisitive that what I remember from 2000.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I also got mine yesterday, and did not find anything objectionable.
    Jerry
    I find everything objectionable on the census form except question # 1.

Since this is a Firearm forum I wont go there.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    Haven't received mine yet, however, I did receive the letter telling me it was in the mail, what a waste of money,two mailings, stupid.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mchasal View Post
    I believe that anything that would be considered "controversial" is rightfully kept out of the census. The whole point is to get as accurate a count as possible. Any questionable ... um ... questions would just reduce response rates.
    A more cynical person would probably argue that the most risky thing is not what questions are on the census, but to whom the forms are sent and what method will be used to extrapolate the US population from the returned forms.

Because those two things determine congressional redistricting.

Senior Moderator
    Just in case you didn't know the Census is required by the COTUS

Article 1, Section 2 of the United States Constitution:
    The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.
    No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.
    Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.
    When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies.
    The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.
    So if there is the reason why we have it, and what exactly it should ask, and why it should count illegal immigrants and prisonors as 3/5 of a person
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Haven't received mine yet, however, I did receive the letter telling me it was in the mail, what a waste of money,two mailings, stupid.

I have to agree with this. They also wasted a ton of money on postage when they sent out paperwork telling us they were sending out stimulus checks!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I saw nothing intrusive on my census. It is filled out and ready to mail.

I don't really understand why they ask so many questions as to race, age, what type of home you live in (i.e. house, apartment, mobile home etc.). What good is this information in counting the citizens?
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Just got mine today in the mail, too. Not what I had been expecting...a few questions about three people...no info that bothers me...should mail it off tomorrow.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    It appears to me, based on the on-line example, they want to know who you are, how many illegals live in your home and your phone number. The other questions are, to me, detractors from the meat of the information.

A true census, to me, would include, income, education, housing and employment factors at a minimum.

Just my opinion(s)...

Respectfully,

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Received ours in today's mail and it's ready to go out in tomorrow's pick-up. It was completely simple and straightforward and took about five (5) minutes to complete.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links