Whiskey! Guns & hobbies that don't mix.

This is a discussion on Whiskey! Guns & hobbies that don't mix. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend of mine was commenting how their enjoyment of water sports and safe firearm carry / storage don't mix. Had me thinking about whiskey. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey! Guns & hobbies that don't mix.

A friend of mine was commenting how their enjoyment of water sports and safe firearm carry / storage don't mix.

Had me thinking about whiskey. I love the stuff. I don't drink much. Maybe 4 shots a week unless there is an event. I'm not a beer drinker, but for those that are, you should be able to understand.

I really have to coordinate when I'm going to sip on some whiskey, and when I will be in for the evening. It has made me a less social drinker, and that is a bad thing on a few levels.

For example, there was a time that I would walk to friend's and family's, drink a few more then would be legal to drive, then walk home.

I can't tell you how many weekends I would be stopped by LE on the way home (from side walks to back streets). I was not blitzed, they just would ask what I was doing out walking so late. This would lead to many other questions. Now that I carry, just can't do that and carry.

I guess it is the same old post how drinking and CC should or should not mix. I've been enjoying that whiskey hobby a little more again (cabin fever I think), and the issue made inroads into my life.

I would not be any great danger if I CC on the way home from a party. That is not how the law would see it.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    This is the first time, I've heard of drinking some Whiskey referred to as a Hobby.

You learn something new every day, God I love this country.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Whiskey is not a hobby.

It is a lifestyle choice.

If you understand, you understand.

If you don't, I pity you.

I pretty much adhere to the guns and alcohol don't mix rule. I just don't want to expose myself to the liability.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    A hobby?
    I like my whiskey, Tennessee whiskey to be exact.
    I prefer to mix mine with Coca-Cola, not Smith & Wesson.
    On occasion I enjoy a cocktail, at home, while my firearms are nestled up with each other in the safe
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Mixing whiskey and cola is wrong.

Drink it neat, or with a little water and do it right.

Cola...nekulturny.

Good beer (love trying diffrent micro-brews), good whiskey(I like Kentucky's stuff myself), and the 'better' tequillia's out of old Mexico........all wonderful!

My guns stay in the safe as well when the rare time for a bit of indulgence comes around. I don't mix my whiskey nor do I mix my guns up with it.

Cheers!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Whiskey is not a hobby.

It is a lifestyle choice.

If you understand, you understand.

If you don't, I pity you.
    While the practice of enjoying a drink may not directly be a hobby the art of making your own is. If you brew your own beer, wine, and/or mash...that is a hobby and tasting it is a very worth while reward. Actually I currently have a full barrel settling out right next to my other hobby...the reloading bench. :)

hope that Tennessee stuff is Dickel #12 and not that overhyped stuff from up the road a piece.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

A friend of mine has three amazing cabinets. Two contain between them 118 Scotches of various ages. One contains only 20 yrs and older. The third cabinet contains his collection of American, Canadian and Japanese whiskeys and ryes. Nice visits...
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Whiskey sipping is a hobby. It is sociable, culturally diverse, experiential, almost every distillery is a tourist attraction, has a collecting aspect, and if done right is fun.

I'm not much for TN whiskey (only had Jack, I've never had George Dickel, but will resolve that in the next week or so).

Love to start with a scotch and follow with a bourbon. If you like whiskey, try this. It really provides a wonderful contrast. I'm currently rethinking what whiskey I like the most, but can't enjoy as much as I would like, because of that feeling that happens when you are not carrying.

While I would be legal to drive after two sipped shots (not something I ever do, I rarely even drink a beer and drive until hours later) just the purchase of a shot, or walking home from friends / family (most maybe 2 miles from my home), would make me illegal if CC.

I'm not suggesting a bender with CC, but I'm with the group that states a few drinks and being armed does not = danger.

Now, I don't break the law, and I'm not suggesting anyone break the law. Just ironic that I'm far more likely to be gunned down (or run down) by a crack user than I am to pull a firearm unjustly in SD after one or two shots.

On my property, when in for the evening, or on the family's acerage, I will sip while CC. On the family acerage, plent of two legged and four legged dangers (unlikely as it maybe). I'm not going to sit by a camp fire unarmed and without a drink.

My drink is whiskey, I love the stuff. Not much of a rum or beer drinker. Tea, water, or whiskey are my drinks of choice when I don't want somehing like coke. Water #1. Whiskey #2. Coke #3. Tea #4. Mountain Dew #5. I don't know why, but it has been this way so long, I don't fully understand why I like it (whiskey) so much. It is not the buzz, just how it hits the buds.

Been CC so long, I've forgot something I really enjoyed. I'm tired of sugar water. About two weeks ago, found a reason to start sipping whiskey again when I'm in for the evening. About a shot a day, maybe a few more than one once every week.

I'm less irritable. I feel better (not sure if it is the whiskey or just less pop). Would like to take thae habit on the road (even just 1 shot), but can't. It is retarding (phrased used in PC manner) my social nature. Is it so wrong to have a slow sip shot while CC?

I don't mix the stuff or put it on rocks. Just give me some whiskey straight, and I'm good. Ok, I like sours, but not like a atraight whiskey.

Sorry I'm going on about the stuff, just really enjoy most whiskeys, and might be one of 4 topics I could talk hours about without a pause.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Take the shot of warm whiskey. Swish it around. Swallow. Feel the burn. Feel the warmth. Wallow in the smell as you lift the bottle to your nose.

Rinse. Repeat. How many times depends on you.

Has to be some kind of sour mash whiskey. Bourbon, tennessee whiskey, etc.

I prefer my whiskey on the Tennessee side but your post reminds me of the movie THE Crow where they are swallowing bullets with a whiskey chaser or a 357 boilermaker !! .lol so I guess you could mix the two life choices !
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I love a good single malt Scotch "whisky" (as the Scots spell it), but never in excess and mostly at home.

I don't drink, not that I wouldn't enjoy one now and again, but I take medications that do not mix well with alcohol, I'm an easy drunk. Therefore I do not indulge. If I did, I would not cc after a drink, you have too much responsibility while armed and need all of your brain cells to make vital and quick life saving decisions that you will have to live with for the rest of your life, not mentioning legal responsibilities for them as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links