Gun Stores aren't hungry enough?

This is a discussion on Gun Stores aren't hungry enough? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by reyno2ac Sounds like the same problem I have. If your not "older" it's assumed that we know nothing about guns and will ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Stores aren't hungry enough?

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    Sounds like the same problem I have. If your not "older" it's assumed that we know nothing about guns and will not be spending any money. I'd rather shop online, at least then I don't have to jump up and down at the counter waving cash in the air to get someone to notice me.
    Being "older" isn't always very helpful :)

There's a local gun shop, been around for years, when you walk in the door, if you aren't in the good ole' boys club, you might as well not exist. Last time I went in I walked around the store looking for a good 20 minutes before my existence was acknowledged.

When one of the owners finally asked if he could help me, I told him quote "No thank you, it took you 20 minutes to decide I was a customer while you were busy chatting with your friends. I was about to lay $600 dollars on you for this S&W, but now I'm going to see if Academy Sports has it. And if they're as rude as you've been, they won't be getting my money either, good day sir"..

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I started out buying rifles and pistols at a one man show gun shop.over the course of the next 3 years I bought half a dozen firearms from this guy.Then I
    started learning how to use a computer and realized how this this guy was taking advantage of me by 50 bucks here 100 there on stuff I was buying.The last rifle
    I bought from him was a black powder at a fair price as I told him what it could be bought for at the competition.I don't buy much from this guy but he does do nice repair work on rifles where the parts aren't restricted.This was bad for the
    gun shop owner who thought he'd squeeze few extra buck out of a newbie that didn't
    know any better.He lost sales of 15 pistols with one shotgun $1200,all the new pistols costs started at $519.

I've started buying from a local guy here who has an FFL and works from his house, he has fantastic prices and can get me pretty much anything, I just send him a message and he'll tell me the price and how many his supplier has, he's a very nice guy too.

Never really had any problems with the local gunshops, this is just my preferred method of buying guns now.

If any of you have any time to kill, check out this thread about the WORST gunshop ever. I've never been but they're pretty close to me, sounds like it'd be good for a laugh.
    http://www.northwestfirearms.com/for...light=gun+room
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

good and bad out there, your local forum is good place to start

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Then I
    started learning how to use a computer and realized how this this guy was taking advantage of me by 50 bucks here 100 there on stuff I was buying.
    I don't know the exact details of your transactions, but it's not really very fair to expect a brick and mortar retail store to have the same prices as internet stores. It costs more to run a retail store, and the service they (should) provide, time saved, and shipping costs saved should be worth the extra few dollars.

Just my opinion.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Vet I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with the big gun stores. For this reason I prefer mom and pop stores... I avoid larger stores like Target world for the reason you describe.

For the local gun stores I know the owners (most times they are working right with the other employees). I am allowed behind the counter to pick up my own ammo. It's almost a formality to ring me up anymore. I know when they are hiding .380 ammo and when they get in new stuff I'm one of the regulars that get to see it before it goes into the case. I get case price for ammo and benefit if they screwed up an order and get too much. (.44 mag 200gr Hornaday XTP component $180 for 1000). They will sell consignment on regular's guns but only buy joe whoknows gun.

I will scratch their back and they scratch mine.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've had some bad moments as well. I just had a thought, I haven't done this, but say you walk into a store that is not so good with c/s and ask to look at a gun (a glock or whatever) that you already own, one you can field strip with your eyes closed. Then proceed taking it down. Once thats done inspect all the parts with comments. While putting it back together like the pro you are, say yes it's kinda what I'm looking for but I can get a better deal at where ever. If you do this I wonder how they would treat you in the future? Of course the same person may not be there the next time, but who knows?

Like I said I have not tried this, but it might make a difference. In my neck of the woods the folks behind the counter aren't necessarily the bomb when it comes to expertise. They are there to make a living, and GOD bless them for that.

Am I making any sense here or am I just rambling? Is my line of thought wrong?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    I've had some bad moments as well. I just had a thought, I haven't done this, but say you walk into a store that is not so good with c/s and ask to look at a gun (a glock or whatever) that you already own, one you can field strip with your eyes closed. Then proceed taking it down. Once thats done inspect all the parts with comments. While putting it back together like the pro you are, say yes it's kinda what I'm looking for but I can get a better deal at where ever. If you do this I wonder how they would treat you in the future? Of course the same person may not be there the next time, but who knows?

Like I said I have not tried this, but it might make a difference. In my neck of the woods the folks behind the counter aren't necessarily the bomb when it comes to expertise. They are there to make a living, and GOD bless them for that.

Am I making any sense here or am I just rambling? Is my line of thought wrong?
    Bad idea.... you should ALWAYS ask to field strip a gun that isn't yours.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Sounds like you need to find a new gun store to me. There are several in my neck of the woods where the staff are like that, so after a first visit I don't shop there anymore. I go where the staff is friendly and helpful and they want my business.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I agree with your comments. But, I believe for every customer who is somewhat gun savvy and feels insulted by the clerk, another 3, 4 or 5 newbies wander up to the counter and drop a lot of cash for a gun. So, the gun store feeds off more novice shooters and that's where they make the big bucks. It's all about making money. Customer appreciation/service is second. After all, how many gun stores have you seen that are not full, losing money or gone out of business?
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

There is one that is not rude, but definitely have the know-it-all attitude. The other has excellent service, attitude, and general comfortability. They also price all their guns OTD, instead of having to figure in tax. He also does special things for repeat customers, like discounts, free gun smithing, etc.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

I must be real lucky, Delaware is a very small State and I have two gun stores very close to where I live. Millers Gun Store and X-Ring.
    I have purchased weapons from both and they both have excellent customer service. It might be the result of the personnel working at both love their jobs and it comes across when they are dealing with you. They take the time to listen to you and give you good information to answer your questions. It is a pleasure to go into either one of them.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good comments from all, and I didn't expect every gun store everywhere to be as crappy as the ones around here. If you've got a good gun store, hang on to it and tell them so.

I hoped to avoid saying this but most of the stores around here are owned/run/manned by folks from a general area that used to have a couple of tall towers (get my drift?), and their attitudes and mannerisms reflect that. It seems those staff personnel who do seem willing to help are obviously from elsewhere.

I purposely chose not to buy online and at WW in order to support the "little guy" and promote competition, but they just don't seem to give a rat's butt. So now WW and the net are looking more attractive.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I know what you mean TC. I guess since business is booming, they don't have to care about pricing reasonably or offering decent service. Especially since options are limited, as to where we can shop locally.

I hope they know I'll remember this after the democrats lose Congress and gun sales plummet.

kpw
    Every time I read one of these threads, I feel pretty lucky to have a great shop a few miles away.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links