Gun Stores aren't hungry enough? - Page 3

Gun Stores aren't hungry enough?

This is a discussion on Gun Stores aren't hungry enough? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet I've been getting much better response dealing online than I have with the local stores. Is it me? Or is anyone ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've been getting much better response dealing online than I have with the local stores.

Is it me? Or is anyone else having this problem?
    Yep.
    I wouldn't own half the guns I have if it weren't for Gunbroker.com.
    Most local stores are way too frustrating.

I figure I could put up with the know it all attitude if the prices were unbeatable, but to pay extra to be ignored, or worse, insulted, and lied to? No thanks, you boys have your fun.

KAK
    I buy my guns online and transfer with a ffl holder that I really like.

I have had the same experience in my local store, which has forced me to basically become a price hunter. I am not willing to pay a premium to them if they are all a bunch of jerks who think they are God's keeper of ammo, weapons, and knowledge.

My favorite local FFL shutdown rather than fight Bloomberg. Another shop, nearby, I won't buy from or order through. I went in there asking about a pistol, and they told me they couldn't get it. I asked them if they would do a transfer and they told me $35. I bought the pistol and went to pick it up, and the owner's wife was there and saw what I had bought. She told me they didn't transfer anything they could get, themselves, and tried to charge me $210. I told her that her shop assistant had told me they couldn't get this pistol, and that the transfer fee was $35, that she could make an easy $35, or we could turn it into a legal matter, in which case she would pay me a LOT more.

I got my pistol and I've never bought anything from them, again.

Now, I drive across town to a small shop where I'm treated professionally, and they give me lower than retail and gun show prices on most things. Customer Service and investment in long-term customers is everything for a gun shop.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I started out buying rifles and pistols at a one man show gun shop.over the course of the next 3 years I bought half a dozen firearms from this guy.Then I
    started learning how to use a computer and realized how this this guy was taking advantage of me by 50 bucks here 100 there on stuff I was buying.The last rifle
    I bought from him was a black powder at a fair price as I told him what it could be bought for at the competition.I don't buy much from this guy but he does do nice repair work on rifles where the parts aren't restricted.This was bad for the
    gun shop owner who thought he'd squeeze few extra buck out of a newbie that didn't
    know any better.He lost sales of 15 pistols with one shotgun $1200,all the new pistols costs started at $519.
    Walk in stores will rarely have the same prices that the internet does. You have to take into account the overhead for the store. Staff, inventory, maintenance, rent, utilities, etc...

Now, had he been selling them $50, or $100 over MSRP, i can understand. But if he was only $50, or $100 over the online competition, but still hovering around MSRP i can understand his position.

My family owns a few stores, and its getting harder and harder to compete with internet discounting. Most people don't realize how much it costs to keep a store running these days. They just go for the lowest possible price. Its killing off ALOT of stores.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

Not necessarily. If an online store can make a profit, so can a regular store. Maybe not as much profit, but they're certainly not going to lose money, unless they maintain their obscene markups. Just goes to show that they've been screwing their customers for years before the internet showed up. There's a new shop in east Mesa that does a flat $50 markup, whether new or used. Pretty much matches Bud's online costs. There is a line most of the time. They will take a laptop and show you their costs. People are loving their selling attitude. Volume sales makes them money.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My problem isn't with the store prices, it's the attitudes.

I realize that shipping and FFL fees usually equal the local store's mark-up and sales tax, but the internet doen't give me a lot of crap or treat me like an idiot. That's the difference, and that's why the local stores here get little of my business. They don't seem to "welcome" my business. They act as if they're doing me a favor by letting me intrude into their store.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am willing to pay a small premium to the local shop over internet stores due to the fact I can go in and fondle a gun before purchase but I absolutely will not tolerate crappy service from a brick and mortar store.

I've purchased a handful of guns in the last 6 months and not one of them has been from a brick and mortar store. Lousy service, terrible attitudes, and ridiculously high prices are all I see in my area. Sorry I am just not going to put up with it to part with my hard earned cash.

Find youself a good one man FFL who will do your transfers at a reasonable price (mine charges $15) and shop in the leisure of you home while in your underwear (while you are carrying of course).
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    but the internet doen't give me a lot of crap or treat me like an idiot.
    Really? The internet treats me like an idiot all the time.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Only if you let it Az!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I am only into my second month of being a gun-anything, however here's what I've found.

1. Being a woman means being invisible. Gun shop owners (dedicated gun shops with or without ranges) ignore me like the plague, unless I'm with a man, in which case they address me only if/when my companion has indicated that I'm the purchasing party. even then, they address their answers to my questions to my companion. Or, they answer questions I didn't ask and pontificate ad nauseam on irrelevant crap, demonstrating how terrifically knowledgeable they are.

2. Even now that I have been frequenting all my local gun stores perhaps once per week each, I have found only 2 which treat me with dignity and respect. Unfortunately, neither have a wide selection or attractive prices

3. One of those places has a team of friendly but still fairly inaccessible "guys" who shoot the crap with whomever, rarely turning to address me, but when they do they are cordial, permit me basically one question, which they answer pithily before going back to their clan. When/if I can get someone's full attention, they do not treat me rudely or ignore me, however getting their attention can be difficult. I am happily past the "oh God it's a girl" stage or the "a newbie" disease.

4. The other of those places never treated me unfairly, has a tiny staff (it's a pawn broker with a decent selection of used guns, no new guns, and a gunsmith) who are uniformly friendly and helpful. One of the owners, a woman, and I have developed a very friendly association with ongoing topics completely unrelated to guns. I hope, fervently, someday they have something other than $2 movies that I actually want to purchase. Whatever the markup, I'd be happy to send my $ to them.

5. Once I'd narrowed down what I wanted to buy for my first gun, which turned out to be a used Glock 22, I found that nowhere within ~30 miles did any gun shop: have one, claim to see them very often if ever, or offer to keep an eye out for me (if that's a service that store owner's do). As a result, I turned my eyes to the internet.

I did not want to purchase off the internet, because I had no experience, wouldn't really have any recourse if something went wrong, and if I did have a recourse, the costs of shipping and FFL dealers would utterly negate the "good deal" aspect of purchasing off the internet. The internet did, however, provide me a very very good service of establishing what the reasonable going rate for my firearm actually was.

I ended up going to a local gun show, where I tirelessly waded through the crowds to every single table, asking every gun-selling table about my target gun availability, and basically universally being told it would "never happen". One dealer from about 150 miles away offered to keep and eye out and gave me his name and his card. Several dealers showed me their brand-new Glock cache and tried to sell me their deal, which on a new Glock tended to be quite a bit better than the local gun shop that had them in stock. But, I didn't want a brand new one. I did, finally, find a dealer with my target gun, used, for sale, with an atrociously ridiculously higher than MSRP. I asked him if that number was real, and he thankfully told me no, gave me the real price, which was comparable to the going rate for an online purchase, and I sucked that puppy up.

Moral of the story? I use local gun shops for research/information when/if they are willing to talk to me, which is kinda close to never. If they treated me with attention, and respect, like the pawn shop does, they would have my undying support and attention and cash when the desired article is actually in stock.

The one dealer with all the ol' dogs chatting in their corners and being personable but not available to me, has a range attached to their store. I'm in there 2-3 times per week (too much!!). They have a woman on staff who sometimes acts as rangemaster (I've never seen her perform any different service), who started out treating me like the newbie novice that I was, just barely drawing the line at making fun of me, but who now likes to chat me up and comment on how proficient I am becoming so quickly. She also seems to take an avid interest in all the gear I come in with, negating any upsell/cross-sell opportunities she would otherwise have. I haven't decided yet whether she is gathering information for her boss so they can make some changes to their outrageous pricing, or if she is quietly policing me for violations which have yet to happen.

Yes, I go to their range -- they let me bring my own ammunition. Yes, I bring my own ammunition -- their prices are just plain highway robbery. Yes, I will tell her exactly how much I paid, and where, as she inspects my ammunition. Yes, she inspects every box, opens each box and inspects at least one bullet per box. Yes, she inspects my targets (thankfully not every one) and inquires if I know that they sell targets? Dudes, at $5 per 100 targets online at the cheapest, or for the exact same targets they sell in her store $0.23 per target versus $2.00 per target, you had better believe I'm ordering them online! Yes, I bring my own eyes and ears. No, there is nothing other than range time in their store that I want to buy. No, that won't keep me from checking their selection. Yes, that will keep me from ever plunking down good money in that store that I didn't first attempt to plunk down to either a gun show dealer or an online supplier.

I know it's only $2.00. But 200% markup on anything is plain rude. 200% markup on paper? Dude, it's not a specialty item -- it's PAPER! Charge me a quarter, 50cents, make it a day. 200%? over my cold dead body! (ok, in a jam, I'd buy ONE target. ONE. But I'd mark the day and not repeat it.)

I'll cut my diatribe short here with another store I don't plan to deal with at all in the future: the store and range where my pawn broker keeps trying to refer sales to. She calls them, tells them what I want, tells them she has a customer right now in her store who wants it. Tells them I'm on my way to come buy it. Here's the last/latest result (not unusual) I get there. The have 5 guys behind the counter, busy with guy-behind-the-counter stuff that does not include interaction with any customer. They do Not return my happy hello as I enter. They never notice in 30 minutes that I'm hovering over the item in the glass case they received a call about. No one glances my way on any of my attempts to get their attention. I wander the store a bit, trying to make eye contact. No such luck. I return to the glass case where my intended purchase resides. More minutes go by. I decide to leave. No one makes eye contact or thanks me for coming on my way out. To them, it must seem like their "referral" never showed. And, I don't frequent their range anymore as they insist you purchase their ammo, which is priced (in the two calibers we shoot regularly) $10+ above the going rate elsewhere, $15+ above WW.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I've always gotten good service from the store where I buy my guns. There are several local shops in the area, along with the Bass Pro shop that sells guns. Anyway, the prices where I shop have generally been very good, and when I want something that they don't carry, and can't/won't order it, then I use them for the FFL transfer. Overall, I'm pleased.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "pontificate ad nauseam on irrelevant crap, demonstrating how terrifically knowledgeable they are."

Couldn't say it better myself. (as if I could have even thought of saying that!)
    I really get irked at the snot-nosed kid behind the counter trying to impress me with his knowall. Like 20 yrs in the service and 50 years of firearms and I didn't learn anything about firearms?

Merichino, you've stated my case exactly. As for targets, there are websites where you can download and print out your targets for free. Beats the heck out of paper plates and markers!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    1. Being a woman means being invisible. Gun shop owners (dedicated gun shops with or without ranges) ignore me like the plague,
    There's a shop near me that is beyond outstanding, and their most knowledgable and helpful staff member is a young woman.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I have to say, that my local Academy Sports store is awesome with Customer Service, their busy as all get out most of the time, but they will at least acknowledge you and say "We'll be with you as soon as we can". Now, that's worth the wait in my book even if it's 15 - 30 minutes.

My local gun shop that I use to frequent quite a bit has changed. The younger generation has taken over the store. I'm not saying the younger generation is all bad, but you can tell it's different. The Two Brothers and Wifes who started it have retired (Gun and Pawn Shop) and the Daughter and two Grandkids have taken it over and it's definitely changed as far as "Can I help you" to "Can I get some help here" type of attitude. I know the two brothers would never do that.

My wife drives patients for a Rehabilitation Hospital and met the Wife of one of the brothers and once her hip is ok, she's going back to work part time their and my wife was telling her about the attitude and she said she's been out for about 6 months, but she would fix that problem with her kids and employees because she and the husband built that business on good customer relationships and she'll be dam_ed if she sees it ruined even by family.

Score one for the customer in my book. This all came about from my gun transaction purchase where I had to go out of state and the problems I had getting it shipped to their store just due to them not being able to get one for me and all the business I've done over the years, probably didn't hurt that I work for the city also and we go through them for things also, but the older folks value customers relations in my view.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links