question about selling/trading /buying

This is a discussion on question about selling/trading /buying within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all I have a question I am sure someone can help me with. I am about to start a thread in the "member buy ...

Thread: question about selling/trading /buying

Hi all I have a question I am sure someone can help me with. I am about to start a thread in the "member buy sell trade" thread topic. I am wondering though what are the laws regarding such a thing? I live in texas and would probably just keep it limited to here in texas so as not to have to try and work out having to find an FFL to do any type of long distance deal. If i find a deal such as a trade, is there any type of legal issues with trading fire arms I would have to look out for?

I would appreciate any input from those who have legally done any trades or sales of any kind in texas that KNOW the laws involved. Thanks all.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Taurus PT1911AR, SA XD .40c
    S&W M&P 9c, Taurus Slim PT709

You can ship a handgun from yourself to an FFL anywhere in the US... you don't have to ship from another FFL. However, a growing number of FFLs wont do transfers on handguns received from anyone except another FFL. That's pretty much the case out here in Phoenix, due to proximity to the border.

Private sales within your home state are subject to state laws. Here in AZ, I can sell any gun I own to anyone 18 or over, as long as they are both a US and an AZ citizen. No FFL or background check necessary.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Just as a sidenote, you won't be able to start a thread in Member BST until you have 25 posts.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

never had a problem shipping any gun just follow the rules

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Just as a sidenote, you won't be able to start a thread in Member BST until you have 25 posts.
    Copperknight , thanks for the heads up i didnt know that.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Taurus PT1911AR, SA XD .40c
    S&W M&P 9c, Taurus Slim PT709

It's not a big deal.

Ship it UPS or FEDEX overnight to a FFL the buyer lines up(that will receive from an individual) after you receive payment. You will need a copy of said FFL's license. Just ask for a copy to be sent with payment. Then the FFL will transfer ownership from you to buyer.

If you sell it FTF in your state do a search about the laws in your state. Follow the law.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    It's not a big deal.

Ship it UPS or FEDEX overnight to a FFL the buyer lines up(that will receive from an individual) after you receive payment. You will need a copy of said FFL's license. Just ask for a copy to be sent with payment. Then the FFL will transfer ownership from you to buyer.

If you sell it FTF in your state do a search about the laws in your state. Follow the law.
    Greater than or equal to 18 years old, resident of Texas, not known or reasonable cause to believe the buyer is a prohibited person as in felon or DV conviction. That is the entire extent of Texas law for private sales within Texas.

If you are planning on buying from a online auction. First, contact a local FFL near you. They will let you know exactly how to do a transfer.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Links