New Ruger 10/22

New Ruger 10/22

This is a discussion on New Ruger 10/22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been wanting a .22 for a while, so I can go plinking all day and not break the bank. Picked up 550 rounds for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger 10/22

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar

New Ruger 10/22

I've been wanting a .22 for a while, so I can go plinking all day and not break the bank. Picked up 550 rounds for $15 while I was at it.

Anyways, gonna take it out tomorrow, weather and babysitter permitting.

Ruger1.jpg
    Ruger2.jpg

I was thinking about putting a scope on it, but nothing expensive or fancy. This is purely an economical solution. I think I saw some cheap scopes at Walmart, near the ammo counter, but I didn't take the time to look at them. Are they something to consider for a cheap scope solution?

Administrator
    IMO, a cheap scope is more of a hindrance than it is a help. With that said, there are some decent inexpensive options for scopes. I've had some good luck with Millet's offerings.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've got a Center Point Walmart scope on my 10/22. It's good enough for plinking.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have an inexpensive BSA Red Dot scope, which I picked up at Wal-Mart for about $39, on my 10/22. Works great and is fun to use. The 10/22 is a great gun, a real tack driver and with the Red Dot scope fun to take plinking. Unfortunately, I hate field stripping it, or more precisely, hate reassembling it, and due to this my 10/22 has been relegated to being a safe queen at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I've got a Center Point Walmart scope on my 10/22. It's good enough for plinking.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I've got a cheap 3-9 adjustable on my Marlin 795 and it has served me well for more than a year.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Thanks for the input thus far. Is there a reason all the after-market magazines are clear plastic? I guess it shouldn't matter, but it's not my preference.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I have a cheapo 3x9 on my .22 rifle and it's great. Killed it's share of squirrels.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Thanks for the input thus far. Is there a reason all the after-market magazines are clear plastic? I guess it shouldn't matter, but it's not my preference.
    It does matter. Well, on the feed lips anyway. It seems that the plastic ones jam a bit. I would stay with factory mags or steel lips. YMMV
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    IMO, a cheap scope is more of a hindrance than it is a help. With that said, there are some decent inexpensive options for scopes. I've had some good luck with Millet's offerings.
    +1 on the Millet. I had a red dot on one of my .22's. Really nice scope for the money.

Congratulations on your new 10/22. For more info, go here: RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Congratulations on your new 10/22. For more info, go here: RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!
    Don't know how I forgot to recommend them. That website is great! I joined when I got my 795 and gained a ton of knowledge!
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

I love mine i have the stainless rifle 10/22 i think i paid like 230 for it a couple of years ago. I grew up shooting a tube fed marlin, but the 10/22 is way lighter.
    i have a cheap tasco on mine, but i can take a top off a platic bottle at thirty yards. I amazed a friend when i shot his spent .30 .30 casing off a board at 25 yards. Mine is very accurate and fun to shoot.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

I use the Bushnell 4 power, 1 inch tube rifle scope on several of my 22s. $39. at Wally World. We do shoot to you miss, then you set up targets at 50 yds using the Daisy lollipop targets. My nephew and son in law do a lot of setting up targets.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

iv had a 10/22 and

i prefer the Rem. 597

Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    It's always nice to see new weapons being shown around. It just makes the day/night goes easier for some reason.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links