Black Powder!

Black Powder!

This is a discussion on Black Powder! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today I took some friends and family out to the rock quarry for some rifle shooting. Its a nice place, only about 100yds deep but ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Powder!

Smile Black Powder!

Today I took some friends and family out to the rock quarry for some rifle shooting. Its a nice place, only about 100yds deep but lined with rock walls out in the middle of the woods. When we pulled up, there was an older gentleman shooting there. This place is only big enough for 1 or 2 shooters at a time. I asked if he had just gotten there, if we should wait. Nope, he had just gotten there but he said he is shooting black powder (which takes some time between shots) and he is only taking up half of the range. Well, as time went on, he fired a bunch of rounds trying to hit clays at the other end. I was calling his shots while shooting my own rifles and pistols. Sooner or later he invited me to take a crack at it. He showed me how to "set" the trigger after pulling the hammer back. I dusted the first clay. WOW! What a feeling that was! I cant describe it. The gentleman was almost dumbfounded after I smoked his target. I explained to him who I was (Marine Sniper, self-defense instructor, marksmanship instructor). He asked me if I wanted to take another shot, why yes, yes I would! He showed me how to load it and everything, but this time I was just a bit to the right, by about 2". Oh well. What a kick in the pants!! That was an experience of a life time, meeting someone as nice and kind as him, letting me shoot this wonderful rifle, totally made my day! I have been thinking about those two shots ever since.

Anyway, he told me what the rifle was, but for the life of me, I cannot remember. He also warned me that black powder is HIGHLY addictive... I think, after only two rounds, I am addicted. I want one. He told me that his rife was only about $300. But again, I dont know what it is. I did a search for black powder rifles and tons upon tons came up. I remember that he called it a "side hammer" or something. I know that it used percussion caps and the muzzle was pretty big, something like a .50. If anyone could help, here is what it looks like:

Thats me "setting" the trigger getting ready to blast that first clay.
    I think he called it something like a Thompson or something. Not sure.

This is a better picture, shows more detail
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    sorry i am big in black powder but i cant figure out who makes that gun. never saw that kind of sights on one. If you want a really nice shooting one and can afford it the inlines are more like rifles the thompson center and the cva accura are really nice guns if you like the inline guns. on the traditional front stuffers i havent used them in a while but the thompson renegade is one from personal experiences is not one to buy mine you pull up to sight your target and then you have to slide your head down the stock to actually see the sights. if you got any other questions pm me.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

It might have been a Thompson Hawken?? I dont know, It had a rear peep sight that might have been aftermarket along with a fiber optic front post. The trigger gurard and finger holds were quite laborate from what I have seen on the interent. I really wish I could have gotten that guys number... He invited me to a black powder shoot at some other guys farm that my father-in-law knew of. I dont know when though. AHHHH!! This is driving me nuts, I want one, I want one now!!

VIP Member
    Nope, not a Hawken, but good guess. That looks like a T/C Renegade. The stock front sight was replaced with a fiber optic one, and he has added a tang receiver peep sight of some sort, most likely a Lyman.

The T/C Renegade has been out of production for a few years now, and used ones are hard to come by - everybody wants one. The good news is that the T/C Hawken is a very similiar rifle, it just has fancy brash touches on it. Both are solid rifles that will last a lifetime and you'll pass them along to your children.

You can get a T/C Hawken, add a T/C tang peep sight, and add a fiber optic front blade and have almost the same rifle.

I know what you mean about black powder, it gets in your blood.

Oh wow! Thanks so much, I am going to check on that asap! Its in my blood, I have spent the last few hours on Youtube looking at black powder rifles, my wife said she is going to kill me if I even begin to mention black powder, its all I think about! I need to get my hands on one.

To all of you who have never fired a black powder rifle, a word of caution. Do it only if you are bored and tired of metallic firearms and need a new hobby. I am not bored with metallic modern firearms, but I can see how muzzle loading would take up much of my shooting time at the range!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Oh wow! Thanks so much, I am going to check on that asap! Its in my blood, I have spent the last few hours on Youtube looking at black powder rifles, my wife said she is going to kill me if I even begin to mention black powder, its all I think about! I need to get my hands on one.

To all of you who have never fired a black powder rifle, a word of caution. Do it only if you are bored and tired of metallic firearms and need a new hobby. I am not bored with metallic modern firearms, but I can see how muzzle loading would take up much of my shooting time at the range!
    I know what you mean. I can spend hours at the range and only shoot 20 shots, but I have more fun than if I ripped 200 rounds thru an AR.

T/C made the Renegade in both percussion and flint. A used flint one has a pending sale, but you can see what it looks like here...
    Thompson Center Renegade, .50 caliber, 26" barrel, walnut, flint, partridge sights, double set trigger

The Hawken is available from MidwayUSA. They are not cheap, new ones run around $800. If you are patient, you can find a used one for a lot less. Sixto found one not too long ago. They are available in both percussion and flint.

MidwayUSA also sells the T/C peep sights, and you can find a fiber optic front sight there as well.

Boy this is bad! I keep finding myself back here on this thread to find more posts. I found a Hawkens at Cabelas for $300-$500. But are these the same thing? Also, I checked out those peep sights at Midway USA, but those were different. Seemed like this guy that I shot with removed some wood where the tang would be or something.

I am kicking myself now for not asking more questions about such things. I really hope I meet him again sometime. That was totally amazing. I have to get into this. I dont know why it never appealed to me before.

VIP Member
    Not a T/C Hawkens, no brass furniture on it. I'd go along with the T/C Renegade.

I have a Hawken, but actually prefer the Lyman Plains Rifle.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Boy this is bad! I keep finding myself back here on this thread to find more posts. I found a Hawkens at Cabelas for $300-$500. But are these the same thing? Also, I checked out those peep sights at Midway USA, but those were different. Seemed like this guy that I shot with removed some wood where the tang would be or something.

I am kicking myself now for not asking more questions about such things. I really hope I meet him again sometime. That was totally amazing. I have to get into this. I dont know why it never appealed to me before.
    The peep sight he had was most likely a Lyman, like this one Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment.

The Cabelas Hawkens are not the same. Those are probably made by Pertra of Italy. While they are good, they are not as good as the T/C products.

Archer mentioned the Lyman rifles. I've owned a Lyman Hawken in the past. It is more historically accurate. However, historical accuracy probably is not that important to you because you want the fiber optic and peep sights.

Anyway, if cost is an issue, I'd look for a used T/C Hawken over a new Cabela's, but that is just me. You can also google around, used Renegades do come up from time to time, but the price is high as is the demand. If you find one, you have to be prepared to move on it right away.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not a T/C Hawkens, no brass furniture on it. I'd go along with the T/C Renegade.

I have a Hawken, but actually prefer the Lyman Plains Rifle.
    I used to shoot a Lyman flintlock in turkey shoots years ago before I had a T/C. I like the T/C better - it fits my frame better. But the great thing is there are many choices out there. One can never have too many muzzleloaders.

Administrator
    I did pick up a T/C Hawken this past fall. It is one cool rifle. You can pick one up cheap used, but you will have to look a little. Now is the time of year to buy one.

I also have an inline. Its true that they are more accurate and shoot faster etc., but the flint and percussion guns have way more class and capture what black powder shooting is all about.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a Hawken 50, and a Knight TK 2000 black powder shotgun. I enjoy both a great deal.

Might be a good idea to find somebody local to you to help you get started. Didn't happen to get that guy's contact info I guess.

Charcoal burners can be addictive, for sure!

If you're into hunting, try going after squirrels or bunnies with a .36 cal rifle. It'll sharpen your stalking skills, and you won't burn up ammo like you will with your AR, either!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Charcoal burners can be addictive, for sure!

If you're into hunting, try going after squirrels or bunnies with a .36 cal rifle. It'll sharpen your stalking skills, and you won't burn up ammo like you will with your AR, either!

A .36 cal rifle Pennsylvania/Kentucky style hunt is a blast.

Also, BP matches and BP competitive shooters are the friendliest most helpful you are likely to meet -- love to introduce folk to the sport and share knowledge.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links