the 'judge' after five months

This is a discussion on the 'judge' after five months within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Back in november i posted some newbie comments about a problem i experienced with a brand new taurus judge. ( http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t-session.html . ) Since then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Back in november i posted some newbie comments about a problem i experienced with a brand new taurus judge. (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t-session.html. ) Since then i have fired about
    200 Rds, 45lc and a couple of dozen 410 shells with no further problems, 'Til yesterday. Yesterday out at 'American Shooters' in Henderson NV while qualifing for a ccw, the Taurus jammed while loaded with PMC 45 lc ammo. Fired 2 Rds and the trigger would not pull for the third shot. Quick inspection and could not see anything wrong. Emptied the cylinder and re loaded. same thing , two or three shots and it jammed again. Repeat. So i loaded only two rounds at a time for the rest of the session and completed the requirements for the ccw. Very akward.
    (also qualified with a walther p22 which i aquired along with a xd40 since getting the taurus)
    So now i think it is a matter of trying different ammo and troubleshooting the problem when not under any pressure.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Is it jamming on the rims of the rounds?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I do not own this gun but if you Google around you will find some info on this issue. DO NOT take this as the actual cause but I want to think it has something to do with a screw or the cylinder - maybe.. It was a while back when I read the info. I did not pay close attention to it since I did not own one.

Good luck!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bullets backing out and jamming the cylinder? Weak crimps? Check COL of the unfired cartridges that were in the gun when it locked up.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Powder residue jamming the cylinder where it meets the barrel?
    Seems like you can get the cylinder to open.
    And I'll assume it turns freely when open, since you could reload.
    Is the cylinder lining up with the barrel when you are attempting to fire?
    Does the cylinder turn freely while closed?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, as I don't have one (But I'm considering one)
    and in a revolver, there isn't too much to go wrong.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I believe that these are well known for severe timing issues after a somewhat short amount of useage.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    I believe that these are well known for severe timing issues after a somewhat short amount of useage.
    Is that opinion or fact? I'd like to know since I'm considering one.
    Where did you read that?

Followup.
    After a Google search, there are a number of people who complain about timing problems. The alignment of the cylinder and barrel when the gun is ready to fire. Most used .410.
    Many said they had no problems after hundreds of rounds. Maybe this is why Taurus is not a top notch gun manufacturer. Some are great; some, not so much.

I don't like the Judge.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Ox
    I have a 6.5" Judge that I've had for a year now, haven't even got to shoot it yet!

I'll let you know how it goes after shooting, ammo is just so expensive for the .45colt.

$45.00 for a box of 20, sheesh.

If your considering a Judge though, don't stop considering. I've heard many great things about them and that they are VERY fun to shoot. I love mine so far, but hey, I haven't shot it yet.
    NRA Member

I love my Judge for the purpose I intended it for. I read all the nay sayers saying it is a gimmick gun and all, but I bought it for two reasons. The first and this is the reason I decided it was time for me to purchase a gun was for traveling. It will handle any situation I need it to through the window or jerked open door of my vehicle. Second, it works well for home defense. Staggered 000 and 45LC 300gr +P ought to stop anyone who wants to come down my hallway. I know I am not going to use it to target shoot with and I have no delusions of concealing it (although I have seen it done rather well). It is a niche gun and I have found its niche.

To the OP I am sorry you are having problems with yours. Unfortunately I do not know enough about guns to give you any advice. Good luck though.

Thanks for all the responses. i agree( after cleaning up the judge and checking it out in dry fire), with most here that is probably the ammo hanging it up, Will try it again as soon as i can with some Winchester white box 45lc i happen to have on hand. 45lc a bit hard to find and very expensive i've found to be lately as u all know, even at the gun show in Kingman last week (that's where i got the 50 count PMC for $35 a box.)

I tried to qualify for my CCW in Ohio by shooting a cheap .25 caliber Galesi pistol that was a damned jammer. I too had to finish with our NRA instructor's
    .22 caliber Walther gun, which made me want to buy one.

Did you clean beneath the ejector? Perhaps some foreign matter got beneath the ejector, keeping it from completely seating after releasing the ejector rod.

Today, first chance i had to go out in the desert and fire the judge since it hung up during my ccw qualification.Loaded up with PMC and it jammed just like before. Switched to some blazer, fired about fifteen shots and thought it was going to be OK, but on the 17th shot it too failed. So i guess it ain't the ammo.
    Guess it is time to become a gunsmith. If i can't figure it out i'll send it back to Taurus.

I have seen where carbon buildup under "the star" has pushed the star away from its recess in the cylinder and towards the revolver frame. This resulted in an inability of the cylinder to turn when pulling the trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links