Finally got my wife to the range!

Finally got my wife to the range!

This is a discussion on Finally got my wife to the range! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After almost ten years of trying to get my wife to the range, I was successful on Saturday. A friend/former co-worker of hers has become ...

Thread: Finally got my wife to the range!

Talking Finally got my wife to the range!

After almost ten years of trying to get my wife to the range, I was successful on Saturday. A friend/former co-worker of hers has become interested in shooting and my wife mentioned I was a gun Owner. We ended up having a child free day Saturday so I invited my wife's friend, husband and sis-in-law to the range to shoot both revovlers and semi-autos. I took a j-frame .38 spcl, k-frame model 66-1 2.5" barrel, a l-frame modle 686 SSR, a Sig P239 in .40 s&w, and a Sig P226 in .40 s&w. Everyone tried all the mentioned fireamrs, many more than once, except the j-frame, everyone shot it once and then wanted little else to do with it, which I knew would be the case. My wife, who has been somewhat of an anti said over and over how much fun she was having, and was actually disappointed when I ran out of .38 spcl, and ssaid that meant I just had to bring her back. Which I was very happy to hear. Evryone seemed to like the K-frame the most, especially my wife and her friend. I need to work some more with both on grip and stance a little more, but it was a good start. My wife even said she and her friend were thinking about taking the CWP class, I almost fell over in disbelief!! Would have posted pictures of the day, but our range doesn not allow photography on the range.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Congrats! I'm kinda jealous, because the woman and i were supposed to hit the range Saturday, but rain and lack of babysitter stopped us.

I'm glad your wife is coming around though! Just be supportive as possible!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Great News shooterX
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I was able to get Mrs. Fish to the range and also take the NRA Basic Pistol course after only about 3 years contact with firearms. In fact she did the course first and the great teachers really helped introduce her to forearms. She now asks to come to the range periodically.
    The solution...bribery. What bribe works depends on the lady.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Having her friend there seem to really help me get my wife to the range, I hoping this evovles into to something more.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    way to go

Fantastic, it's a great hobby to share with positive real world applications. My wife is wanting an XD SC 9mm after renting one at the range last time. From how she shot, there may be some competition in the house soon. lol I started her off on a .22, now she has shot 9mm, 380, 45, and 12 ga. And she is starting to want to go shoot more.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

You've created a 'monster'......congrats!

Next step? She'll be picking out your favorite gun...as hers.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

WOOHOO!!!!
    for all you other husbands who can't get their wives to the range. let this be a lesson to you. if you havnt yet, it is very unlikely that you will convince you. someone ELSE has to. especially a female friend of hers! make friends with someone who has a wife that is interested in guns and get them to be friends, etc.
    as a female who previously knew nothing about guns, trust me on this one!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You've created a 'monster'......congrats!

Next step? She'll be picking out your favorite gun...as hers.
    I think she already has, my Dad's old Smith Model 66-1 with 2.5" barrel, she really liked shooting it, and I have to agree, it is a sweet shooter, great trigger pull etc. If I had to pick one for her to use, this one would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    WOOHOO!!!!
    for all you other husbands who can't get their wives to the range. let this be a lesson to you. if you havnt yet, it is very unlikely that you will convince you. someone ELSE has to. especially a female friend of hers! make friends with someone who has a wife that is interested in guns and get them to be friends, etc.
    as a female who previously knew nothing about guns, trust me on this one!
    It really did help alot, and her friend was a very enthusastic student which seemed to rub off on my wife also.

Congrats.

I was lucky. I've been married 1 year. Dated for 1 year before that. She was tomboy when she was a little girl. Wasn't too long ago (like month and a half or 2 months) I just told her, "lets go shoot the guns", she of course likes doing things together, so off we went. She fired my S&W 317-2 (2" .22lr), Bersa Thunder .380, Springfield XD40sc, and Ruger GP100. She really likes the GP100 (with 38's in it).

She has since taken her CCW class and has submitted her permit application.

Congrats and good luck getting your wife onboard.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I think she already has, my Dad's old Smith Model 66-1 with 2.5" barrel, she really liked shooting it, and I have to agree, it is a sweet shooter, great trigger pull etc. If I had to pick one for her to use, this one would be it.

It really did help alot, and her friend was a very enthusastic student which seemed to rub off on my wife also.
    Hey, she's got great taste.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Hey, she's got great taste.
    I knew you would approve, she didn't like the model 686 SSR I recently aquired, justy a little to big for her I think.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    someone ELSE has to. especially a female friend of hers!
    Very true for my wife. She was 'no guns in the house' until her brother in law took the Utah CFP, and her sister and him both enjoy shooting now. The fact that her sister was into having a gun in the house changed her mind. She is still very clear that she does not want to shoot my firearms. we'll see..
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Sponsored Links