Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live?

This is a discussion on Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Uhm, I'm a horrible person to ask. I lived in Essex, about 7 miles from Burlington. However we had a hunting camp in Bolton, which ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live?

Uhm, I'm a horrible person to ask. I lived in Essex, about 7 miles from Burlington. However we had a hunting camp in Bolton, which is only about 20 minutes away....or if you drive like me, 10. I never really looked into ranges up there as I'd much rather shoot at my camp, though a quick check gives me these ranges within 30 miles of Essex. Here in Virginia 30 miles would be a long trip (took me 40 minutes to get 6 miles the other day), but up there it's only a 30-40 minute trip or so. Looks like there's four within a 15 minute trip of Burlington.

# Green Mountain Traditional Bowhunters, Essex Junction VT 05452 [0]
    # North Country Sportsman's Club, Williston VT 05495 [4.9]
    # First Congregational Church Rifle, Burlington VT 05401 [6.8]
    # Chittenden County Fish and Game Club, Jonesville VT 05477 [9.8]
    # Underhill Rod & Gun Club, Westford VT 05494 [9.9]
    # Laberges Range, Charlotte VT 05445 [15.0]
    # Adventure Guide Service, Willsboro NY 12996 [18.3]
    # Waterbury-Stowe Fish & Game Club, Waterbury Center VT 05677 [19.8]
    # Sportsman's Club of Franklin County, Inc., St. Albans VT 05481 [21.5]
    # Peru Rod & Gun Club, Inc., Peru NY 12972 [23.0]
    # Plattsburgh Rod & Gun Club, Plattsburgh NY 12901 [24.2]
    # Lamoille Valley Fish & Game Club, Morrisville VT 05661 [24.4]
    # Elliots Archery, Sheldon VT 05483 [27.7]

As far as the state becoming anti-gun, I highly doubt it. I'm 23 years old (well will be in May) so I think I can give a pretty good look at the insight of kids from a much more "yuppie" area of Vermont. Nearly all of my friends and people I went to school with support the right to bear arms, not all of them actually do own firearms but they aren't frightened from them. And this is in a much more city like area. Places like Waterbury where my grandparents farm is are even more pro-gun. The last time I checked (in highschool after Bowling for Columbine came out I made a persuasive pro-second amendment paper/speech for a class) we had one of the highest firearms to people ratio's in the union.

The issue is that a lot of out of staters move into Vermont (a lot of New Yorkers...), and they're the ones that make a fuss about anything and everything in the state. They have little real sway, but sadly they're the ones that get quoted in national news (though I have no excuse for Dean).

The best way I can describe the political climate in Vermont is. Socially liberal (what you do that doesn't harm others, we don't care-hence civil unions), Fiscally Conservative (don't spend our money unless absolutely necessary, and we agree-Town Hall meetings still happen all over VT) and a strong supporter of the American Constitution.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Once upon a time more than a decade ago I went skiing up in Killington, Vermont with some Manhattanite friends of mine... one of us had taken a few months off work to find herself, and found herself in a cute little one bedroom cottage in Killington for $400 a month, cuddling her cat at night and skiing by day. Dunno if rents are the same now, or if that was a freak short-term rental thing she found, but Killington was lovely.

All my time was spent up at Killington, and of course my impressions are more likely related to the ski tourism trade than really a reflection on Vermonters. Definitely seemed, at the time, like your MJ comments were on the money. However MJ friendly the state is, I'd prefer to stay away from that scene.

These days, post major leg surgery, skiing is not likely what I would be doing with my free time in Vermont. Not sure quite what I'd do with my time, actually. I am new to guns and am very pro self-defense, but I don't know whether I could make the jump to hunting. Reading, writing, yutzing around on my computer, going out for coffee with locals, hopefully adopting at least one very large dog and walking with him/her all over God's creation. I'm guessing that the regular daily ocean swim thing most of the year will be out once I leave Florida. I can handle that. A job will be in order, but I'm caring mostly right now about building a lifestyle based on very very little money since jobs are so hard to come by everywhere anyway.

Since my education and career have not once helped me out jobwise in Florida (languages, literatures, anthropology; database marketing) I'm figuring wherever I go and the economy right now, chances are I'll be working in a bookstore. I can do that anywhere.... assuming I can get the job. But, remote and rural places like Bisbee, AZ are no less likely a place to get a bookstore job than NYC, so I'm not really thinking "job" in my relocation decision right now.
    I should clarify, I'm not condoning or condemning MJ use. Just letting you know, it seems when I tell people I'm from Vermont I get one of three reactions.

1)Hey my Maple Syrup comes from there.

2)You guys have that great bud.

3)Is that in Canada?

As far as hunting goes, I gave it up relatively early. I discovered I just don't like killing deer, I enjoy venison but everyone seems to have some to share I don't have to go out hunting to get some. Never liked the taste of bear so hunting them was out, and I can't stand sitting so most types of bird hunting were out. I took up B&W photography instead. You get the same level of excitement from tracking and finding game, without having to kill anything.

As far as stuff to do, lake champlain is right there. In the summer swimming is pleasant, there are tons of dive shops so you can pick up SCUBA (I can personally attest to the great guys at Waterfront Diving), boating, sand castles.... There are a ton of local music venues, and surprisingly enough a lot of big musicians end up there from time to time. Even some great local bands. Church Street is the place to go if you feel like bar hopping, or even just stopping in at Vermont Pub and Brewery for a unique new beer (blue lotus anyone?). There's a theater right by Church Street if you're into plays/musicals. Admittedly if you're the type that requires the kind of fun found in a big city, the state isn't for you. Though Montreal is very close, you can get a state license that allows you to go over the border without your passport. From my house it was about a 45 minute drive. It's a nice enough city, though there are a fair amount of the French-Canadians that are some of the rudest people I've ever met.

I did an interesting little relocation quiz thing that asked me to identify my target states, then answer 20 questions prioritizing things like employment market, health care, crim rate, education, cultural activites and cost of living against each other. The result was a list of 10 cities I should look at as prime based on my estimation of the criteria.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA, just outside Roanoake came up as #2 on my list, matching 90% of my criteria. The bad news is, it seems only real estate purchase data seems to be available for the area. Rentals are all centered in and around Roanoke to one end of the lake and Lynchburg to the other. (Not sure if this is bad or not....)

Certainly, Virginia is looking good on my list. I spent a summer teaching at horseback-riding sleep-away camp outside Charlottesville one summer when I was young. The area around Palmyra, VA was picturesque and beautiful, but both Palmyra and Charlottesville seemed awfully remote to me then. I have no memories of Richmond, although I spent more than one afternoon there on my days off.

I am at an age and a stage where remote is not unappealing, however I will be most likely moving alone, so having enough culture and population for there to be ways and means to meet new people will be key. I don't need a whole city for this, but finding other like people will be a major priority once I get where I'm going.

Rents in Arizona for small single family homes (I want a large dog, this seems the best option) are beating out every other target area. But the demographics, beauty, accessibility (within 1+ hours or less) to cities is making places like the foothills of the blue ridge mountains in Greenville, SC or closer to the water near Charleston, SC looking mighty fine. I also feel like I need to do some research for Tennessee and possibly Kentucky because I think they will be in many ways similar to what I'm liking about Greenville, except for access to city maybe.
    Check out Salem, VA ; Blacksburg, VA ; Christiansburg, VA ; or Radford, VA

Best of both worlds. Not too big, not too small, not remote, convenient to anything and everything. All gorgeous landscapes. You can have a place in town or a place in a country setting and be only a couple minutes from town.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Blacksburg isn't bad, I got hit on by a guy for the first time in my life there. Turns out that women aren't the only one who can take a free drink and promptly tell you to get lost. Plus, lets be honest. Kind of flattering.

But seriously, the one thing that really shocked me about Blacksburg is that it's so much colder there than NOVA. I was down there installing a geothermal system at the college, and I gotta tell you it was the most miserable I've ever been. Windy, cold and in a muddy trench. Not a good combo.

LeChuck, thannk you for your report. Actually, the hunting for photographs ideal sounds wonderful.

I've never really been into the big city, even when I lived there. Cities are good for finding like minded people with such enormous ease that you're ok sharing your like minds only once or twice before moving on. I'm really more in the mind of finding good people and making new lifelong friends. Which I can do wherever. Maybe, if I end up in Burlington VT, I won't find many options for oriental grocery shopping, so my cooking like my Japanese sister-in-law (she lives back in NYC) so I can feel like I am near her and my brother will probably have to stop. But, I'm sure I can find alternate cooking related activities and interests to pick up wherever I go.

Probably, none of the places I'm looking at will have good sushi, or even any sushi at all. That will be regrettable, but not a disaster.

Probably, all of the places I'm looking at will have good micro-breweries. Too bad I don't like beer. (Sake is my thing. I could be all-over micro-brewed ciders, though.)

Ah, decisions decisions. I've been watching YouTube shooting and gun enthusiast videos. Two of the guys I like watching the most are based out of Tucson, AZ and Spokane, WA. A third dude who does Glocks and snubbies on his (seemingly own home) range is in an unknown location. Wish I knew, I'd want to look him up and shoot on his range with him someday if I moved near him. Looks like Tennessee, to me. All of them shoot outside in remote areas where it's them, the gun, blue sky and targets as close or far away as ya like. That looks like fun shooting, to me.

Here in Palm Beach County, Florida, there is no such thing as free outdoor plinking. There are outdoor ranges, but its all just about as regulated or more so than the indoor ranges I've been to.

....and I've been in Florida almost 4 years, my reasons for coming and my situation while here could be described, in a word, as "adverse" so I'll try not to hold it against Florida, but it's just not for me. Where I live (chosen because relatives live here), it's really quite expensive. My particular town is too expensive for me but even so it's crime ridden and while in NY and NJ I welcomed and was enthusiastic about ethnic diversity (great restaurants! great and unusual and ridiculously cheap grocery stores! interesting people with movie-worthy life stories!), down here it seems you can tell how good the neighborhood is based on the color of the people walking down the street. Which I hate.

Where I live in my count is crime ridden. I moved to this area because I could get to my family quickly and I could (barely) afford it, and because of questions about the neighborhood, I for the first time in life looked up the sex offender registry website. I looked as closely and long as I could stomach at the folks in my neighborhood on that site (there were far too many to go more than one or two blocks in any direction). Shortly thereafter one of those folks started across my parking lot in my direction. Bloke was dressed in a suit (the same one from the picture online) - black, blue button down dress shirt, yellow tie. Kindly face. Sex offender. When I realized where I knew his face from I held up my hand and told him to come no further (he was maybe 3-4 parking spaces away) and thank God he took a wide berth around me.

But no, I don't like it here. Weather - fabulous. Family - love them, but my relationship with them is not so strong as to keep me here. I can do major holidays and birthdays from wherever in the country. No need to be less than 10 miles away. Cost of living -- housing is just too high. The rest is handleable, but housing is atrocious. Work, here, for me, has been almost non-existent. I've had fun working for a local scooter and motorcycle dealer. Worked in bookstores. Never found a decent (or non-decent!) marketing job that I wouldnt have to commute almost 2 hours to Miami for. Miami costs even more than PBC so that's not really a viable choice. Plus, I've gotten used to not being in the rat race....

Florida is just -- flat. Expensive. And despite what you may think, unless you have the big bucks, its anything but scenic. Everywhere I go in PBC, I'm driving down concrete roads lined with concrete mini malls and concrete car dealerships and concrete big malls and then maybe long stretches of big concrete wall blocking off your view to the moneyed neighborhoods. Then, some more concrete industrial districts, more mini malls. then the highway. Then, on the other side of the other big highway, it's swampland and poverty all the way to the next big concrete "oasis".

NJ may be over expensive and over populated and gun-unfriendly and crime infested and all that. But one thing it has going for it, if you're driving anywhere for more than 10 minutes, you will go through both bad and good neighborhoods, see lots of interesting architecture, parks, neighborhoods, businesses big and small. Uptowns, downtowns, you name it. There are hills and mountains and valleys and views. The just getting from point a to point b is a JOY in NJ.

Florida? Not so much. If there is one single thing that would make my every day a little brighter, it would be adding a little bit of pretty when I go out into the world. Adding a neighborhood I could walk through safely to go enjoy some of the pretty, even if that _______ (house, building, park, mountain, lake, flower, pretty thing) I'm going to look at is something I can't afford to own for myself, I can for damn sure make a plan to go look at it. At least, in America, that much is still free. Adding an apartment/house/condo/home-i-can-afford that will permit pets (they don't here), I can add the joy of a dog to my everyday, somewhere that isn't Florida.

Or, who knows. Maybe somewhere in Florida, that just isn't Palm Beach County. I hear Apalachicola up in the pan handle is just gorgeous. And the clamming there is supposed to be excellent. I've noticed hunting rental websites and cost-of-living estimators that Lakeland, Florida has extremely affordable housing. It's also in the middle of the state so my beach trips would be over, but then I could afford a "premium" class of apartment there which here is out of my price range by a factor of 3 to 4 times my price range, and swimming in the outdoor or indoor heated pool in a gated community with tennis courts and walking trails and hot tubs could be just as good for my leg as swimming in the ocean and walking on the beach is.... So, maybe I just need to think about a part of Florida that isn't quite so flat.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Well there is good sushi in Vermont, it's not as easy to come across as NYC but it is there. There's also a ton of shops similar to Whole Foods, though I don't think we have one (Hell we just got a Walmart a few years ago). You'll also find ethnic grocery stores, but I'm not sure how good they are. My Asian culinary skills are not great, other than the bastardized American variants I don't bother. There are a ton of good restaurants to discover, and yes there are some local hard ciders. Woodchuck Cider's made in VT, and while it's not a micro-brew it certainly is delicious. The Vermont Pub and Brew has decent lunches and more than just beer made there. Last time I was there I remember seeing some cider on the menu, and I tried a fruit beer that I personally hated but my girlfriend who's not a beer drinker loved. I love Cajun food and I've had a hell of a time finding it down here in the "south", I know of two such great places close by my old house back in Vermont.

I forgot to mention in my previous post the housing costs. They vary greatly. In Essex where my parents house is they reappraised the whole town, our house which was valued at about $200,000 (three bedroom, basement, attic, garage, nice house in a nice neighborhood) went up to $320,000 for no obvious reason. Because of the school system in Essex Jct and Essex it's a popular place for parents, which also makes it more expensive. I know for a fact if you hunt you can find a single apartment for about $600 in Burlington. I lived in Jericho for awhile which is close to Burlington and was paying $500 a month for a one floor house. Nice place, technically only three rooms but the living room was so massive you could entertain plenty of company. The nice thing about Vermont is you can live 20-30 miles away from the city or where you work and not have an unbearable ride in. There's hardly ever any traffic, which I really took for granted.

Wherever you end up, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. And seriously, get out of FL. It seems every time I turn on the news some sick psycho has committed some atrocious crime down there. Things do not seem to be going well down there.

The answer is Fredonia Arizona.

Very gun friendly place..the chief of police is a CCW instructor (thats me)

The place is surrounded with BLM land where you can go shooting freely..however we are currently building a 67.5 acre shooting range with land donated by BLM.

We have about the lowest electric rates in AZ.(i'm not kidding..look it up) The town owns its own electric utility.

Property Tax Rate 1990 2000 2008

Elementary/High Schools 5.45 6.61 4.23
    City/Fire District 0.80 0.00 0.00
    Countywide 1.66 1.71 1.23
    Totals 7.91 8.32 5.46

Dec. 2009 cost of living index in Fredonia:
    86.0 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)

very little crime..I can't get anyone to lock their doors or we wouldn't have any...

We don't have any stop lights..none

mild winters and summer..approx 5000 elev

You are approx 1.5 hrs from the Grand Canyon (North Rim).
    40 minutes from Kaibab National Forest (9,000' +)
    1 hour from Zion National park
    1 hour and 15 minutes from Lake Powell.(lake powell has more shoreline than CA)
    45 minutes from the Pink Coral sand dunes..
    Just across the border from Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau (The best Mule deer in the nation)

We have sushi here but we call it bait...J/K

3 hours from Las Vegas (you know what happens there stays there)

did I mention no humidity

need I go on...

google the area..and then let me know when your in town.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

VIP Member
    I hate to disagree with TRB, but I've been to Freedonia. It's a hole. There are all the wonderful thing within a short distance, but I think you'd prefer St. George Utah to Freedonia AZ.

30 min from Mesquite NV
    90 min from Vegas
    60 min from Brian Head UT 10,000 + feet
    15 min from Quail Res.
    120 min from Lake Powell
    35 min from Zion National Park
    4 hours from Salt Lake City

and much, much more.

Here's a few links to info on the city.

St. George, Utah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of St. George|Welcome!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

ntg
    I'm glad nobody is interested in Idaho...what a relief!
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    I'm glad nobody is interested in Idaho...what a relief!
    Idawho?

I hate to disagree with TRB, but I've been to Freedonia. It's a hole.
    Wow..don't spare my feelings...

There isn't alot here but that's what I like about it..but a hole...

St George is nice..but you gotta like traffic..cuz their traffic plan is very lacking..And they have lots and lots of traffic.

They also just shut down the only public shooting range and they have denied permits to have a indoor shooting range built..
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I did this yesterday and referred to the #2 result, Smith Mountain Lake, VA. Which has no apparent yearlong rentals to speak of. I will still dig
    !
    If you are looking for rentals around Smith Mountain Lake area, search Bedford Va.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    Wow..don't spare my feelings...

There isn't alot here but that's what I like about it..but a hole...

St George is nice..but you gotta like traffic..cuz their traffic plan is very lacking..And they have lots and lots of traffic.

They also just shut down the only public shooting range and they have denied permits to have a indoor shooting range built..
    I guess I was a little.....or a lot harsh
    Sorry TRB, I guess I'm just used to something a little...different.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Wow. Freedonia sounds pretty awesome. How is it for single not-so-fresh-faced (aka notso)young women? (In some parts of the country, I'm just single. In others I'd be the proverbial spinster....)

St George sounds like it's great, too. But if there are no ranges to speak of then it sounds like getting out to the range to meet people won't work as a way to meet folks. (I'm assuming I'd be able to shoot "anywhere" aka outside in the great blue yonder, but that would be fun but not at all social unless I had someone to bring along with me).

Will check out Bedford, VA, thanks!

I actually did mention, ntg, that I'm interested in Idaho. The only part I know of is Coeur D'Alene, which was so awesomely beautiful I can still see it in my mind's eye, and I believe I was only 10 when I was there overnight. Dunno anything about it, though.

On the topic of bad crap happening down here in Florida. Have you heard on the news about something that happened last year, a whole gang of young men broke into a house and not only raped the woman inside, but forced her teenage son to rape her as well? That happened in my neighborhood.

I got the gun and have applied for my permit for a known threat, but I'm daily convinced that the unknown threats like that one, here in Palm Beach County, are multiplying and guaranteed impossible to get through "unscathed" when relying solely upon police response and/or goodwill of neighbors.

I just need to move. LeChuck you make Vermont sound like heaven. I'll have to seriously think about it. I drive a convertible, but thankfully no longer the one that was a car accident magnet. (That one got rear ended every time it rained or snowed, once even in broad sunlight, but that was when a guy decided his new car shoulda been mine and told his passenger so rather than look where he was going) This car probably won't do so well in snow, either.

Thanks everyone!
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

No offense taken..I used to live in Tucson..its a livestyle change. I have a nice home and I pay very little property tax (no City Property tax) very little for power. No traffic, no real crime to speak of and a lot of nice people.

I forgot to take my garbage can to the curb one day and when I got home it was out there..a neighbor of mine knew I was gone and took care of it.

It not too bad here in the hole...lol J/k

Merischino..

it a small community, Approx 1500

Kanab to the North has about 5000

Up in Kanab is Best Friends animal sancuary (largest no kill sancuary..took in alot of the Vick dogs) and they bring in lots of folks of all kinds from all over to work and volunteer there. Single ladies are not a novelty around here.

you would be welcomed.

There is however not alot of jobs in the area..kinda depends on what you do..

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links