Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live?

This is a discussion on Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IDAHO...no traffic here. Our shooting club range is 15 min out of town (and $50/year). Great fishing, hunting, mountains in every direction. Oh..wait I'd better ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live?

ntg
    IDAHO...no traffic here. Our shooting club range is 15 min out of town (and $50/year). Great fishing, hunting, mountains in every direction. Oh..wait I'd better keep my mouth shut.

BTW, it's not for the warm weather folks. It is, if you like 4 seasons and summers with low humidity high rarely past 95 and nice cool evenings (the reason we grow great potatoes).
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

2. Remove Ads

city-data.com gives you all the info you need about any place.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I would think it goes without saying, but you should visit any place you're considering moving to. Admittedly one week in a place isn't enough time to show you everything, but it'll give you a pretty good idea. Vermont would be pretty easy to check out, a day up in the Islands (a little pricey, but deals can be found....can be rough in the Winter), a couple days in Chittenden county. Then you can drive down to southern VT, I camped in Jamaica for a few days. Lovely place, has a real small town feel

You can find a lot of little towns like that, some you'll simply stumble upon. It's nice actually going into a legitimate general store. Though, Jamaica was a bit creepy in the sense it seems like the perfect setting for a slasher film. Quiet small town, wooded, nice flowing river...

I think a week up there would give you a good feel for what you can expect, though if you can manage it a week in the winter would also be a good idea. Some of you flatlanders might not be able to handle it, but it's really not that bad (ice storms are rough, hell on phone and power lines other than that it's nice).

LeChuck, beautiful photos! Where in Vermont were these taken? Is that Jamaica as in, there's a place called Jamaica, Vermont?
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Yeah, it's a small town in southern Vermont. It's just one of the first places that popped into my head that screamed quaint small town. As much as I wish I could take credit for the pictures, they aren't mine. Vermont has a lot of odd choices for town names. Jericho, Jerusalem, Satan's Kingdom (really), Mosquitoville....I can't comment on Mosquitoville, the name kept my curiosity at a minimum.

The river in the pictures is West River (I believe?), they open the dam a few times a year and it allows for some nice white water rafting.

ntg

I thought I'd share my day dreaming with you. Spring is in the air and I have some spring fever...an itch to get out. BTW the worst traffic you find up there is a train of pack horses, and it doesn't matter if your cell phone is on. To me, that is refreshing! There was still some snow (not as much as the photo shows), and the wild cutthroats were spawing in the creek between the two large lakes in the photo when I was there last July. There's a waterfall that dumps into Sapphire Lake (largest in photo) just bairly cut out of the photo. Idaho isn't for everyone, but it fits me.

Vermonts nice, and maybe nice for your situation. however they have major capital gains taxes, whitch chould be a unsean cost for you in anystate depending on were your money is stored

Overall, for varied climate, landscapes and varied scenery, friendly folks, a reasonable economy, and freedom Texas can't be beat. More convertible weather here too. I owned a convertible for 30 years up until just a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post

I thought I'd share my day dreaming with you. Spring is in the air and I have some spring fever...an itch to get out. BTW the worst traffic you find up there is a train of pack horses, and it doesn't matter if your cell phone is on. To me, that is refreshing! There was still some snow (not as much as the photo shows), and the wild cutthroats were spawing in the creek between the two large lakes in the photo when I was there last July. There's a waterfall that dumps into Sapphire Lake (largest in photo) just bairly cut out of the photo. Idaho isn't for everyone, but it fits me.
    Ahhh that is beautiful. Reminds me of some places outside of Calgary, AB (where I once lived). Wanting to stay in the US, though, if I picked Idaho, what city/town would you recommend, given what I've already written about who I am? (refresh: single, not 20 anymore, not a whole lot of money, must be able to afford a place which will allow not just a dog, but a big one. Be nice if there were men of similar description in town or not too far off.)
    - Abraham Lincoln

- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Overall, for varied climate, landscapes and varied scenery, friendly folks, a reasonable economy, and freedom Texas can't be beat. More convertible weather here too. I owned a convertible for 30 years up until just a few years ago.
    Texas friendliness - a fact I know to be true. Texas where it's not flat? Can you name a few cities I should research? Someone (was it you?) mentioned East Texas as the ideal.
    - Abraham Lincoln

- Winston Churchill

ntg
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Ahhh that is beautiful. Reminds me of some places outside of Calgary, AB (where I once lived). Wanting to stay in the US, though, if I picked Idaho, what city/town would you recommend, given what I've already written about who I am? (refresh: single, not 20 anymore, not a whole lot of money, must be able to afford a place which will allow not just a dog, but a big one. Be nice if there were men of similar description in town or not too far off.)
    First, FYI, these are some of the Big Boulder Chain Lakes in the White Clouds Mountains of Central Idaho. I'm in Bingham County, grew up in Idaho Falls(IF). There's lots of places/options on the Snake River Plateau (makes a half moon shape from Boise to north of I.F. across the state). One thing I like about the SR Plateau is that there's so much variety. The desert areas have a character all their own, then you have mountains, rivers...no swamps, or heavy humidity, sorry. I've lived elsewhere, and I'm happy to be back in Idaho. IMO, Boise is bigger than I like. Twin Falls would be nice, as it has mild winters, and places like the White Clouds are abundant just to the north. If you're into fishing/hunting there's lots of options. The I.F. area is good with access to many great mountain areas, and world renown fishing, and Yellowstone, Grand Teton, etc., are all a short drive. Pocatello to my south is ok, but has a bit of college-town-itis to it. This website may give you a little more; there's lots online if you do a search: http://www.visitidaho.org/about/relocation.aspx Did I mention a bald eagle was soaring above my house Sunday?

ntg
    You mentioned water: [http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12481716] I can hit this in less than 10 minutes, but it's not real big as far as water bodies go. It has a nice, fairly long bike/walking path that starts there and follows the Snake River to the north for a few miles. (My family and I enjoy hitting that path in the mornings or afternoons). American Falls Res is huge. There's a number of other options, but mind you, you'll be lucky to get water temps above 70. Anyway, I hope I've helped.

This is where I go to shoot: http://cedarhillsgunclub.org/ (I know, poor website, but we're working on it). It's about 15 minutes from I.F. or Blackfoot.

Also to answer your question, you'll find more social life in I.F. Poky, Twin Falls, and the Boise areas (i.e. in the larger cities). Boise is the most expensive as to living costs, but any are less expensive than the majority of the US.

merischino,
    I can speak about State College, PA since I grew up there and my parents and siblings continue to live there. If you drive 10 minutes in any direction you are in the "sticks".

Great town, lots of transients (students) due to the University and there is plenty of stuff to do all year round. There are numerous cultural events to attend due as well, thanks to the University and State College's playhouse. Lots of little hole in the wall coffee shops, small book store cafes with seating on the sidewalk as well.

It is a really safe area, take that with a grain of salt. The worst thing you would need to worry about is the drunk students on nearly every day of the week. Not much violent crime except for students getting hammered and then hammering each other. There is lots of the usual student type stuff going on, disorderly conduct, vandalism, etc. but I have never felt unsafe anywhere in State College, even at 3:00 in the AM.

Lots of "big name" stores. There is an equal amount of Locally owned specialty stores as well.

Great place to raise a family, numerous state parks abound, the mountains are a 5 minute drive out of town. Excellent biking and hiking trails abound, very hunting and fishing friendly area. Fantastic roads for riding a motorcycle.

Another big bonus is that there is a free shooting range 15 minutes outside of town that is on state game lands that you can access 7 days a week. It does shut down at dark but then again which ranges don't?

The only real b***h that I have is that the jobs are few and far between. If you have a degree, congratulations, you are just like 90 % of the residents. The university is the largest employer in the area and engineers and Med type people seem to have little trouble securing employment.

I don't live there currently however, if I could go back, I would do it in a heartbeat.

If you have any more questions about the area let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Anthony

Merichino;

Start out with the Texas Hill Country. When looking at a Texas map, look at the counties and communities west of I-35. Start out a little southwest of Waco, west to Brady, southwest to Junction, south to Camp Wood, then back east to San Antonio. Stay away from the big cities unless you particularly like that style of living, particularly Austin (pretty, nice, but liberal). Only guessing but you'd likely become quite fond of towns like Marble Falls, Georgetown, San Marcos, Fredericksburg, Boerne, or Kerrville. All are pleasant and close enough to many Texas attractions and "big city" conveniences. The western portion of this region is less populated, more remote, and with more of a ranching flavor. It is less commercialized with perhaps fewer economic opportunities but the folks are the most friendly.

Try putting "Texas Hill Country" into Google to explore much that is there.

Here's a link for photos.
    Texas hill country - Google Search

I didn't specifically mention East Texas before but it deserves consideration. East Texas is nice too. Stay well north of Houston. Begin east of Dallas on I-30 (about Mount Pleasant) to the Louisiana border, down to Toledo Bend reservoir then west to Huntsville, north through Palestine, Tyler, and back up to Mount Pleasant. We like to go to Jefferson, Texas to stay in the Excelsior House Hotel. That part of Texas has much of the flavor of the Deep South.

east texas photos - Google Search

Visit Historic Jefferson Texas

Much of the Texas coast is nice if that is your thing, with beaches, boating, fishing, and great coastal communities outside the larger cities. The Big Bend area and the Guadalupe Mountains of far West Texas are spectacular in a rugged sort of way but are a long ways from anywhere.

The Texas high plains are a bit tough on scenery, an acquired taste. Still, the people of the region are charming and there are some landscape gems here.

http://images.google.com/images?q=ll...ed=0CCYQsAQwAw

You said you once lived it Texas for a time. Where did you live while here?

I grew up in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and lived there until only 2 years ago when we moved to a county north of Brady, Texas. Only somewhat scenic and definitely rustic it is just north and west of the Texas Hill Country.

The great thing about it is that it is near by an old family owned place where we can shoot to our hearts' content. Lot's of fun rural shooting available in Texas. Hunting and fishing here is fantastic too.

My wife showing an audience how to "bust" a jug last summer.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; March 25th, 2010 at 05:47 PM.

You guys are awesome. I have work to do!

To respond to some of your comments/questions: I have never once in life been fishing. Or hunting. I am a huuuuuuuge swimmer, though. As a child/teen that was competition swimming. As an adult, swimming is both a past time and a necessary rehab activity (Florida sand and waves have been instrumental in getting me walking again.) Hiking is something I would cherish, but likely suck at majorly and probably do alone or with my (future) big dog. Too slow for most people's comfort I'm afraid.

I went to college in north Dallas, at Southern Methodist University. Most of my knowledge of that city is basically whatever is in walking distance of the campus. Although I did have a car for some of my time there, we mostly ever went to places that were a hike to walk - not places out of range of walking distance. Except a memorable visit to the Dallas Philharmonic - memorable because it was right after one of those flash floods I mentioned and our dresses were around our necks while drivinig fast around corners with our car doors open in an effort to get the water into a tidal wave and out the door. Fun times.

ntg: there's just something about seeing a bald eagle in flight. My first such sighting was in the badlands of Montana.... was out there diving in the ccccccold creeks for gold and ammonite. Regretfully, we didn't find any. We did find plenty of funky fossils, though. Now, my parents live out in the pacific northwest in a very very remote little island-y place population circa 900 and they have a couple of pet bald eagles they watch fondly in their retirement. They are Ozzie and Harriet, they live in a field/forest perhaps half a mile from where my parents live, and happily they can be seen regularly, even daily. Harriet's wingspan is fully twice that of Ozzie's.

the other thing I didn't mention but Dakotasdad brought up: cycling. Motorcycling -- well ok my little two-wheeler may be classed as a motorcyle and require my license to have that endorsement, but technically it's a "scooter" or "moped". I've had it a couple years now, haven't been driving it much for a variety of reasons. But, being in a safe, suburban/rural area I'm sure I would ride it 90% of the time it's not raining. If a place has a scooter-friendly population contingent: more's the better! That said, I am far from a harley rider and certain they wouldn't take well to my silly little scooter in amongst their big hogs.

I'm also a budding cyclist in terms of the bicycle. Got myself my dream bicycle a few months ago and regretfully around here the roads are just plain unfriendly to my bike. Even the residential streets -- they have sidewalks alone perhaps only 40% of the road, house-lined streets only access local neighborhoods and cannot be used consistently for getting from points a to b, and the busy roads have neither bicycle lanes nor shoulders, so you risk it in the streets. Gotta love it here.

If all goes well, wherever I go the convertible, the scooter, and the bicycle will be coming with me. And the gun.
    - Abraham Lincoln

- Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links