Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live?

This is a discussion on Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live?

This one cracked me up!

People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

UTAH!!! If you move here let me know.....I know a great Realtor

ntg
    Yea...I get a chance to see bald eagle a few times a year. There is something about them, no doubt.

I'm familiar with the aquatic center in I.F. and it's a pretty good one. Most cities have an indoor pool; some better than others. A lot of the reservoirs have a roped off area for swimming as well. Fishing, hiking, etc., have a "rehabilitating" affect on me. You ought to try them.

The bike path mentioned above is about 9 miles of freedom from cars, etc. They want to extend it much further north to a town called Firth and possibly to connect to the great green belt path (which you should check out too) found in Idaho Falls, but who knows if that will happen. There's quite a few places to get a good bike ride in. Some may be good from your porch and some you may have to go a ways to get to where it's good. The Sun Valley/Ketchum, ID area has lots of nice bike paths, but it's a little pricey to live in.

Scooter? A friend of mine uses his all summer long in town here. Convertible...you'll see them too, but not with the tops down durning the winter obviously.

Your gun (guns in the future) are welcome of course.

Good luck in your quest.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

I wouldn't rule out a place because it "appears" there are no year long rentals. Nice houses may be leased more by local reference than advertising. Call and discuss with a few realtors before giving up. Good luck in your adventure.

Got some really wacky neighbors up in the NW Corner of AZ! On one of your lists was Wickenburg, AZ. Besides an American Legion with real cheap drinks, the only thing around there are very high end rehab centers!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    UTAH!!! If you move here let me know.....I know a great Realtor
    Is your realtor "friend" willing to talk to someone in the beginning stages? Eg, I've looked closely enough to know that Provo and Orem are attractive rent-wise, and that Salt Lake is also doable. Other areas may also be viable, but perhaps not being in sought-out towns means they don't put the effort into putting those listings online. Narrowing down which to look at seriously probably will require either advance reading of books not available in my library or bookstore, or talking to a realtor. (everything on the net is of course trying to sell you something, so putting a face on crime stats, college hangouts, hipster neighrborhoods vs. family vs. whatever is kind of difficult.)

I have found enough information, though, to pretty much rule out Bisbee, AZ. Couldn't find zip on Fredonia.

Virginia options seem difficult to hunt down. Rentals are up the wazoo, but getting at an actual town that I've had named for me seems impossible. All online rentals appear to be pretty much in the bigger cities, and the outlying areas if represented at all are represented by for-sale, not for-rent properties. Or, they are represented in the regular rental listings but instead are nightly rates. Frustrating!

Idaho's relocation website references cost-of-living data 3 times (that I found), but the document it refers to is not available or linked to anywhere.

Texas - photos of the hill country were astoundingly beautiful, and very compelling. Again, had some difficulty finding actual viable listings in any of the towns I searched. If listings come up, they always come up for Austin (for the west country) or Houston (for the east country).

I'm loving hearing from all of you on what you love about where you live. Puts more of a personal face on these places and makes them that much more appealing than just reading numbers in a chart!
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

How open are you to buying? I know there's a lot of foreclosed houses in Virginia right now. I've seen some decent (needs some work, mostly interior painting and refinishing floors) two/three bedroom houses going for $100,000. Admittedly they may be 10-20 minutes away from your desired city, but considering your mortgage would be less than renting an apartment it doesn't seem to bad.

Then again, a home for me is just where I rest my head at night. I've never really understood the desire to have a 20,000 square foot home.

Scooters are more than welcome in State College. In fact there is a little "scooter" club in the area. Vespas and the like. I'm pretty sure they do little group rides too.

Bicycles are also very welcome. There are designated bike paths down town, extra wide shoulders on the side of the road in most places, except out in the country of course. There is the sidewalk on the University side if you are inclined to ride downtown. Bikes are commonplace due to the University and the fact that most of the townsfolk exercise to some capacity.

Convertibles also very welcome. There are lots of back roads that go into the country for nice scenic driving.

Swimming, yep. Lots of places to do that as well. Public pools and the University pool with a designated lap pool, and any one of the State Parks in the area also have designated swimming areas.

Doggies, good to go as well. There are a couple of dog parks locally and the State Game lands provide miles and miles of trails to hit with your four legged friend.

Guns, yep, you're good to go there too. Open carry is OK in PA, and a CCW is easy to acquire in State College too. Just a short trip to the Sheriff's office and pay your $25, I think, and you're ready to go.

Anthony

VIP Member
    What size town/city are you looking for? I must have missed that part.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

PA is not too bad if you dont mind having all 4 seasons and some colder winter weather(I HATE hot humid places so id never move to the south..this is after living in Alabama and GA..both nice states to visit but id not want to live there just too hot too many bugs lol) but they are pretty decent..a lot better than the state of NY which is HORRIBLE.

Texas - photos of the hill country were astoundingly beautiful, and very compelling. Again, had some difficulty finding actual viable listings in any of the towns I searched. If listings come up, they always come up for Austin (for the west country) or Houston (for the east country).
    Texas is hot and humid. Austin (and most of "Hill" country) a Yuppiefied college town where the state gov is based, and Houston a snake pit. I moved from the DFW area to Bonham, a hole in the wall or bump in the road, and thereafter escaped to Colorado. The state income tax you don't pay in Texas is compensated for in sales tax, property tax and the like. Sorry, I see no allure in Texas after having lived there 12 years. Just my .02. I only went there because my paycheck went there.

Good luck!

very high end rehab centers
    Now that's an endorsement!

"I only went there because my paycheck went there.:

Your very lame generalizations only are an indication that you never really learned anything about this area or its taxes. If I spend I pay sales tax. If you earn you pay state income tax.

Well, if you guys are serious, then I recommend that you move to California. Any where, the state is the same all over. Live here for ONE YEAR, and I'll guarantee you that almost any OTHER state will look like like GUN HEAVEN in comparison.

Precisely why I moved to Texas.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

ntg
    Merischino, you're on quite the adventure. I'm rusty on relocation, COL, city data, but use to relocate people all the time. I referred them to: HomeFair.com often. Also, bankrate.com has a good tool: Cost of Living comparison calculator. The data is free on bankrate, but cost you if you go to the source website, costofliving.org.

Interesting that we're on this quest w/ you and I just happened to be in Twin Falls yesterday for my brother's wedding. I like the area more every time I'm there. There's lots of trails (paved an unpaved) along and in the canyon. The canyon is basically in town. There's a fairly good shopping area that sits right on the canyon rim. We went to Shoshone Falls, the Niagara of the West, (google some images of it) and although the water is still low its impressive and beautiful. These falls are about a 7min drive east of town. Thousand Springs State Park is really neat too. We were killing time, and I found a lot of the residential streets had bike lanes. I'd have no problem living there if I was looking for a job, but I'm happy were I'm at.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Texas friendliness - a fact I know to be true. Texas where it's not flat? Can you name a few cities I should research? Someone (was it you?) mentioned East Texas as the ideal.
    Texas is the size of a small country with many varied terrains. There are many other areas that aren't flat but I'm most familiar with the Texas Hill Country. Check out the triangle area between Austin-San Antonio-Kerrville.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links