Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live?

This is a discussion on Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey there guys. I've been reading several articles about the most affordable or most bohemian or highest IQ places to live (top 10 places kinds ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live?

Best, Most Affordable, Gun-Friendly Places to Live?

Hey there guys. I've been reading several articles about the most affordable or most bohemian or highest IQ places to live (top 10 places kinds of articles) and I'm curious to know if anyone has ever run across one that is targeted to RKBA?

If not, here's my shout out to all of you for your estimation of all the reasons why someone either would or would not choose to live where you do when evaluated in view of gun-friendliness, availability of ranges, dealers, plinking places, etc. all the things related to carry that make a place great or troublesome.

I'm just that curious!
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

I'd have to think the most gun friendly and affordable state would be Alaska. Everyone gets a check for oil royalties every year and as far as gun friendly, it's Alaska!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I live in a pretty gun friendly state and even if it wasn't oh well, this is where the job is and the money is and I like to eat a little more then I like my guns.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Virginia is considered somewhat gun friendly...especially the mountains in the western part of the state. Plenty of ranges and places to plink, OC state, and reasonable CC laws.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Lightbulb More Data

"Gun Friendly" states I've been in are Texas, Oklahoma, and Colorado. Then there are also the obvious: Alaska, Vermont, NH and Florida. I'm sure quite a few.

Take the list from here, and stratify it with this data:

David Savageau's Places Rated Home Page | Places Rated

And let us know the results. Be careful though, because the Places Rated Series pretend like everybody is rich (e.g. they don't rate cost of living high enough as a criteria).

Have fun!

Edited to Add:

Take the Brady Group "State Scores" and reverse them - that'll give you a pretty good list based on the Brady criteria.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 23rd, 2010 at 12:20 AM.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I relocated from Illinois (Chicago) to northern Kentucky last Feb, and while I miss many of the things about Chicago (I lived there since 1982) I have found my new home state to be a breath of fresh air. KY is a very gun friendly state, and I find the cost of living dramatically cheaper. Housing is half the cost and the taxes are way lower. For example, I still own a 1300 SF townhome in the western Chicago burbs-value is 175K, property taxes are 4000/yr. I live within 20 minutes of Cincinnati yet have a 2500 SF home on 2 acres on a lake values at 275K and taxes at 2500. Don't even get me started on a sales tax comparison...

The pace of life is slower and took some time to adjust to, but from a quality of life perspective I am way ahead. The locals have been great and are very friendly. I do take some grief when I wear my Bears jersey or Cub hat, but good natured ribbing.

<--------WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA. We have hills and flat lands, and four real seasons, cost of living, and crime rates are both very low. Every body has somebody who hunts or just likes the outdoors. CCW permits are easy to obtain, and quick. Love it here.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    The cost of living in Utah is relatively low, no state is more gun-friendly, Utah got the first and only perfect score by the Bradys.....0

Utah is beautiful, has 4 seasons in most parts of the state. We have great skiing, many other types of outdoor recreation and plenty places to play, shoot and what ever else.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

ntg
    Yea...I agree with sigmanluke...go to UT! Whatever you do don't go to Idaho.

Seriously, I enjoyed living in Utah, but I'll keep Idaho. As far as gun friendly, you can go wrong with either or some of the others mentioned above.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Ok so I'm looking closely at Utah, Arizona, South Carolina. Have really only been to one of those, drove through South Carolina maybe 18 years ago and spent a memorably lovely afternoon in Charleston. I also have fond memories of the World's Fair in Knoxville, TN. And remember even then falling in love with the Blue Ridge Mountains and wishing I could live in such a beautiful landscape. And I have a fond memory of Couer D'Alene, Idaho from childhood.

If I were looking at moving to any of these places seriously (which I just might be), what cities should I focus on?

Priorities important to me:
    1. Low housing costs
    2. Low crime rates
    3. Beautiful scenery (I miss mountains. Florida is flat and boring)
    4. Some evidence of culture / education / things to do

Arizona has some pretty attractive rents available, but I know exactly jack all about it, wouldn't have the first idea of what city/town would be attractive. Same goes for all of these states.

I don't have even any experience at all of Kentucky.

I have been loving the warm sunny climate of southern Florida after having lived most of my life in NJ/NY with a lengthy stint in the murky dark wetness of otherwise lush and lovely Seattle. Staying in sunshine would be appealing to me. Being near a body of water, even if not an ocean, would be appealing. It has been good to become a gun person in a gun-loving state like Florida, so I would only consider moving to another gun-loving place. I have lived in Texas as well, and it's mostly the flat boring landscape and uber heat keeping me from thinking about living there again.
    - Abraham Lincoln

- Winston Churchill

After I retired from the USAF I took into consideration numerous facts in choosing where the family and I were going to settle down at. I've had the opportunity to live in several states from East to West coast and North down to the south. We chose Colorado and havent regretted it since. Bought a 3600SqFt home on an acre for $230K with yearly taxes of around $1700. I'm originally from California and I've known for at least 15 or 20 years I'd never return there.

As for Gun friendly, Colorado is great, with the exception of Denver. I CC most of the time but it's nice to have the option to OC whenever I want which I do occasionally. There are many other great states out there but the Rocky Mountains have got me hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Ok so I'm looking closely at Utah, Arizona, South Carolina. Have really only been to one of those, drove through South Carolina maybe 18 years ago and spent a memorably lovely afternoon in Charleston. I also have fond memories of the World's Fair in Knoxville, TN. And remember even then falling in love with the Blue Ridge Mountains and wishing I could live in such a beautiful landscape. And I have a fond memory of Couer D'Alene, Idaho from childhood.

If I were looking at moving to any of these places seriously (which I just might be), what cities should I focus on?

Priorities important to me:
    1. Low housing costs
    2. Low crime rates
    3. Beautiful scenery (I miss mountains. Florida is flat and boring)
    4. Some evidence of culture / education / things to do

Arizona has some pretty attractive rents available, but I know exactly jack all about it, wouldn't have the first idea of what city/town would be attractive. Same goes for all of these states.

I don't have even any experience at all of Kentucky.

I have been loving the warm sunny climate of southern Florida after having lived most of my life in NJ/NY with a lengthy stint in the murky dark wetness of otherwise lush and lovely Seattle. Staying in sunshine would be appealing to me. Being near a body of water, even if not an ocean, would be appealing. It has been good to become a gun person in a gun-loving state like Florida, so I would only consider moving to another gun-loving place. I have lived in Texas as well, and it's mostly the flat boring landscape and uber heat keeping me from thinking about living there again.
    Based on the criteria you've listed, I would say take a look at Roanoke Va. A smaller sized city, right near the mountains and reasonable cost of living. Also, if you want a little slower pace. Lynchburg Va. offers a lot of family friendly options. Mountains, rivers, lakes, history. Fredericksburg Va. is right between DC and Richmond Va. Whatever you enjoy, it's only short drive away. Oceans, mountains, history, entertainment. You name it we have it.

Good luck
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Virginia, for sure. Strong CC and OC laws, long tradition of distrust of power, and great location. The VA 'castle doctrine' is enshrined in common law and has existed for hundreds of years, and nearly any OC activity has been ruled to be strictly protected by the state constitution.

NFA items are legal, though there is a state machine gun registry.

If you want beautiful countryside and smaller cities and towns we have that (and within driving distance of the city as well). We have lovely hills, mountains, forests, and even wine country. If you like the ocean, there is the eastern shore and the Chesapeake.

If you want to live in a dense suburban/urban area with access to everything you get in the city, but at the same time still protected by strong state preemption of gun regulations, we have that too.

Localities and local authorities in VA cannot make any regulation on the subject of guns other than discharge. There are no 'grandfathered' restrictions like in some other states. The result is that you can live in or near a very urban (and left-leaning) area, while at the same time your gun rights are fully protected. Even up here in Arlington (across the river from DC) we can CC/OC all day long, and it is accepted. There is none of that "technically it may be legal but don't you dare do it" stuff in VA.

Virginia also has VCDL, which is arguably the strongest state-based RKBA organization in the country.

For semirural near city amenities, I recommend the area between Manassas and Culpeper, and west to Front Royal. Outside Roanoke may also be good but my impression is that there is higher crime there (someone may correct me on this?). Fredericksburg is also not a bad choice.

Gun stores, shooting ranges, etc? Yeah, we have those too
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I did an interesting little relocation quiz thing that asked me to identify my target states, then answer 20 questions prioritizing things like employment market, health care, crim rate, education, cultural activites and cost of living against each other. The result was a list of 10 cities I should look at as prime based on my estimation of the criteria.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA, just outside Roanoake came up as #2 on my list, matching 90% of my criteria. The bad news is, it seems only real estate purchase data seems to be available for the area. Rentals are all centered in and around Roanoke to one end of the lake and Lynchburg to the other. (Not sure if this is bad or not....)

Certainly, Virginia is looking good on my list. I spent a summer teaching at horseback-riding sleep-away camp outside Charlottesville one summer when I was young. The area around Palmyra, VA was picturesque and beautiful, but both Palmyra and Charlottesville seemed awfully remote to me then. I have no memories of Richmond, although I spent more than one afternoon there on my days off.

I am at an age and a stage where remote is not unappealing, however I will be most likely moving alone, so having enough culture and population for there to be ways and means to meet new people will be key. I don't need a whole city for this, but finding other like people will be a major priority once I get where I'm going.

Rents in Arizona for small single family homes (I want a large dog, this seems the best option) are beating out every other target area. But the demographics, beauty, accessibility (within 1+ hours or less) to cities is making places like the foothills of the blue ridge mountains in Greenville, SC or closer to the water near Charleston, SC looking mighty fine. I also feel like I need to do some research for Tennessee and possibly Kentucky because I think they will be in many ways similar to what I'm liking about Greenville, except for access to city maybe.
    - Abraham Lincoln

- Winston Churchill

There probably aren't many places that fit your description better than East Texas. Afterall, it is in Texas, you can't get better than that.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links