Cleaning/upkeep all-original WW2 M1911A1

This is a discussion on Cleaning/upkeep all-original WW2 M1911A1 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First, just wanted to say hello, I read a bit here but never posted. So hello! My girlfriend Alicia recently inherited a Remington-Rand M1911A1 from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning/upkeep all-original WW2 M1911A1

Cleaning/upkeep all-original WW2 M1911A1

First, just wanted to say hello, I read a bit here but never posted. So hello!

My girlfriend Alicia recently inherited a Remington-Rand M1911A1 from her father who recently passed away. She gave it to me to do some research and for safe-keeping. The serial number dates it to 1943, and upon disassembly (needed help from my dad, an older army vet), it appears to be completely original and very well-maintained.

Her grandfather was in the Army Air Corps during the second great war and apparently sneaked his issued pistol back home and gave it to his son. It even has his original leather case, and has a lot of sentimental value to Alicia.

My question is this: What's the best way to preserve this antique weapon without hurting it? As far as I know, it hasn't been shot in years, though I did find a mag of Winchester Black Talons next to it, so her father may have put a few rounds in it during his day, or it could have been his SD weapon.

Also, I'm not certain as to the value, but if it were yours, would you insure it separately and keep it in a safe, or remove the firing pin and put it in a shadowbox displayed above the fireplace :) I ask the latter because Alicia thinks that would be a fitting way to display her heirloom.

Personally, my experience with weapons is limited to the current US Army arsenal and my own CC SA XD-40. I'm just not sure how to care for such an old gun.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

I would not display it in the house or it will most lilely end up stolen. Just my opinion. If you want to keep it safe, then keep it in a safe properly preserved. I'm not an expert on the preservation of old firearms, so I can't speak to that specifically.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Check out The M1911 Pistols Organization and their forums.

Also check out http://www.coolgunsite.com/ for help in identifying and verifying what you have.

If you want to ask questions in the m1911 forums, make sure you use the US Military Issue M1911 and M1911A1 Pistols forum. They can point out exactly what you have, if it's ever been modified and what it's worth.

I would over-oil it a little and not fire it until you determine exactly what you have.

Administrator
    Don't store it in the leather holster.

Give it a protective coat of RENAISSANCE WAX.

Search for it on ebay. Buy the smallest size as it goes a long way.

RENAISSANCE WAX is used in the following places in the U.S. - The Smithsonian Institute, Colonial Williamsburg Conservatory, Abraham Lincoln Residence, Vicksburg Military Park and Museum, Henry Ford Museum, Academy of Arts, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NRA Museum, Rockefeller Restorations, Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, Hilton Hotels, BYU Museum of Art, National Ornamental Metals Museum, as well as other museums, government agencies, craftsmen, collectors both professional and amature alike.

In the United Kingdom it is used in the British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Buckingham Palace, Military Museums at Aldershot, H.M. the Queens Royal Armourer, The National Museum of Antiquities - Scotland, Royal Armories (London & Leeds), The Imperial War Museum, Windsor Castle, and The Tower of London.

RENAISSANCE WAX has appeared on and in the following - "The Martha Stewart" TV show, "This Old House" magazine, Better Homes & Gardens "Wood" magazine, The Double Gun Journal, Gun List, 'Blade' magazine, Knives Illustrated, Knifeworld publications, 'Tactical knives' magazine, The Big Show Journal, Ships'n'Scale Magazine, Pool & billiards magazine, as well as many other articles for sportsmen, craftsmen, woodworkers, metalworkers, restorers, conservators and in famous professional reference and restoration publications worldwide! Martha Stewart "Living" magazine, "Real Simple" magazine & various internet forums.

kpw
    Can you post some pics?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

OD*
    Some good clear pictures would be a great help towards answering any questions on value.

I would also suggest registering at the 1911 Forum.com and post any questions you may have to Johnny Peppers or Scott Gahimer, in the USGI - 1911Forum, they are two of the most knowledgeable USGI collectors on the internet. Fair warning, they will request picture too.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My dad, a SeaBee in WWII, carried a Remington .45 when he was on Saipan and Tinian. He always regretted turning it in when he was discharged, but, like he said, nothing was going to stop him from going home.

His noteworthy accomplishment of the war? He built the concrete pit used to load the atomic bombs on the Enola Gay and Bocks Car. I'd love to have his old pistol now. It would never be fired.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Just took some pictures today, about to upload them! Thanks for all the advice so far!

Also, she inherited a .22 rifle, says Glenfield Mod 60, The Marlin Firearms Co. I didn't grow up with guns so I'm unfamiliar with it as well. Look a little old. Can anyone share some light on that as well?

More on the way!

That's the last one. I don't know why they came out so large, but I hope it helps with all the details you wanted!

Any more info on the 45 or the 22 is greatly appreciated!

WHOA!, You really need to take those down and resize them ASAP. I have a 19 inch monitor on 1400x900 and I cant see but a small portion of those shots. Cut them down a bit if you don't mind.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

I'll leave the big ones up in case someone wants a really close look :)
    But for everyone else here is the resized ones. Sorry about that!

If this were mine I'd disassemble it, wax it as suggested,place the pieces inside a bag that breathes (cheescloth or some such) as along with multiple packets of silica (raid your shoe boxes) and then I'd take all the now 'metal parts' and place them in a safety deposit box at your local hayseed bank.

Next I'd insure it for twice the going market price.
    Last, I'd forget about it and put the key away some place secure being sure to tell three trustworthy people where they key is located in the event you should not wakeup the next day or get hit by a buss and lapse into a coma.

Items of value such as this should not be left in the hands of persons such as yourself (even as you mean well by your GF...Who notably is not your wife and thus not family) nor should they be kept in folks homes unless their home and safe as in _quite_ secure as in bank safety deposit box vault secure.

$0.02 Street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

+1 on janq....it is a piece of history and will only gain in value. Preserve it, and lock it up.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links