Gun Store Etiquette - Page 4

Gun Store Etiquette

This is a discussion on Gun Store Etiquette within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by boatail Ok, correct me if I'm wrong...Companies NICKEL plate brass ( usually the best ammo ) why would they do that if ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gun Store Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong...Companies NICKEL plate brass ( usually the best ammo ) why would they do that if the nickel is harder and would wear the chamber?
    the nickel is to keep the brass from corroding in bad weather

Why did Colt and the U.S. govt. decide to CHROME line thier M-16s to provide durability and make them easier to clean if its softer and prone to wear?

it was done to stop rusting when you didnt have time to clean the gun in combat conditions..

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Maybe I'm just a dumb newbie, but shouldn't you clean your firearm after doing any shooting?

good idea, but not necessary, more rifle barrels are worn out from cleaning to much and improperly, then from shooting

i know bench rest shooters that will go 300 to 500 before cleaning with no loss of accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post
    OFF TOPIC! I donít mind helping people out that are getting "hosed". If I see or hear something that I know is a lie or just bad business then I am going to open my mouth. With the economy the way it is people donít need to be losing money on bad deals. As for the research not everyone is that intuitive. JMO
    I'm with you on this one. If the store person said a thing, I would bluntly ask them why they were hosing him and why would I want to buy anything from them if this is how they treated a customer ?

I would have sold him a bridge in Brooklyn myself.
    Peace through superior firepower
    making our world a safer place ...

Taurus 24/7 OSS 9MM
    Millennium PT-140
    Mossberg 12 Gauge

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    But won't just a few rounds, like 50, leave residue? Doesn't that residue absorb moisture? Or did I hear wrong?
    Well, I'm looking at the pistols, rifle and shot gun you list. The Wasr 10/63 has a chrome line barrel that makes it resistant to corrosion. The stamped receiver could rust. These Romanian AK's are not the highest quality. There are several moving parts. I would not want to try to strip one in the field. A good cleaning could take well over an hour. Cleaning it often might keep it more reliable but I would not clean it after only firing 50 rounds. If it jambs, fails to eject, it could be dirty but it might also be the ammo, not so much the rifle.

The Springfield XD, Forged steel Slide, Bruniral coated matte black for rust protection, hight strength steel barrel. It likes almost all ammo. I know this can easily fire 300 rounds before cleaning.

The Bursa, Aluminum alloy frame. it is not going to rust. Polymer grips, they don't rust. High strength steel barrel, slide matte, blued or nickle for rust protection. Normally a reliable pistol. The Ecuador Army uses it in the jungles.

The Remington 870 express. You either love it or you hate it. More than 10 million have been built. I hear how they often jamb. But due to do to what? I also hear from some hunters who say that they seldom clean theirs. The jambing problems can sometimes be solved by trying different shells.

All of your guns are built to be carried in the rain and or humid conditions. Use clean, dry ammo and high quality shells and your firearms should all be able to take at least 200 or more rounds between cleaning. When you do clean, don't over oil.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I can't believe what I'm hearing!

A clean rifle is a happy rifle. You are not going to wear out your rifle by cleaning it unless you push through steel wool or scotch brite patches (if such a critter exists). Take care of your rifle and it will take care of you.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You might have approached this situation like this, "hey I couldn't't help over hear you were giving some steel cased Wolf ammo with that AR. I thought you couldn' use steel cased because, etc., etc.". It's less adversarial and the counter guy may not be aware of the problem. Just my $0.02 worth.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links