Gun Store Etiquette

Gun Store Etiquette

This is a discussion on Gun Store Etiquette within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just last weekend I was visiting my local (over priced) gun store and overheard a gentleman in the process of purchasing a DPMS Panther Lite. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Gun Store Etiquette

Just last weekend I was visiting my local (over priced) gun store and overheard a gentleman in the process of purchasing a DPMS Panther Lite. From the discussion I overheard the customer knew very little about AR's and gun's in general. The price of the rifle was $1,299 and they were throwing in a case of 500 rds of steel cased Wolf ammo. Now I am really interrested because I had just recently purchased the same rifle (brand new) at a local pawn shop for $799. When the counter guy walked away for a moment I told the guy it would not be wise to shoot the steel cased wolf because the DPMS did not have a chrome lined chamber. The counter guy overheard me and some what politely tried to dismiss me. Now I can take a hint so I went about my shopping. I just couldnt help but want to tell the customer he was getting hosed, but minded my own business none the less. Should I have said something to the customer about a better deal down the road?

It depends if you like the store. If you want to be treated well there keep your trap shut, or at least try to pull the guy out of ears shot of the counter. Gun store folks remember the regular customers. They especially remember the "trouble" ones. When I worked at a gun store the trouble customers were not exactly treated like kings.
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I know that the old saying of "let the buyer beware" could apply here but, given the lack of ethics of some gun dealers, I think you did the right thing. What you said may or may not effect the sale - the customer is still a free agent here. However, it does give the customer valuable information and I think that you did the right thing.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Normally, i won't say anything. If it's a friend, I'll try to wait until I can talk to him alone. If I can't, then I'll give my $.02 before he makes the final decision.

But as for a stranger? He should have done his research before making the buy. I always take my time to do countless hours of research. I price online, local shops, and local gun shows. I know the different varieties and choices. If I don't know, I leave, and check online. Too much information out there to go in buying blind.

I typically make small talk with fellow customers while browsing, and will gladly chit chat over this and that. And I'll gladly pass on what information I've read and heard, but only if they ask. As a man, I know how uncomfortable unsolicited advice is.

i would keep my trap shut. if he doesnt want to shop around thats his choice.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I agree that the guy should have shopped around and if he pays more so be it. What about the shop keeper not explaining the detriment of shooting steel cased ammo through a non chrome lined chamber barreled rifle? That was actually why I stuck my nose in the conversation in the first place.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    saying something against store recommendation in the store and in earshot of the salesperson is less than proper etiquette...mentioning that you have a similar rifle and if wanted to talk about it youd love to share would be something altogether different...then share out of earshot...let him draw his own conclusion after that...

So many gun store or Pawn shops are places where they sell guns and that's it. They really don't know how to handle them safely.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Oh the heck with it, tell it like it is. Don't let the guy get hosed by a rip off artist, that's what's wrong with this world and society, to many dang people are willing to sit back and say he should have known what he was getting into or he should have researched it or whatever, hey folks, that's why we are here or supposedly from what I keep hearing from the vast majority of everyone here to help each other out or support one another. I sure will.

It's up to us to teach and instruct those who come after us the way it's suppose to be. If that means you tell this guy he's getting hosed, tell it like it is. If you don't go back there and do business oh well, do it on-line or somewhere else.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

My gun shop would not 'hose' someone...fair prices, fair treatment, no pressure, that's why I shop there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He who refuses to open his eyes, often must open his purse.

As for the steel case part, the store owner is paying rent for the opportunity to do business the way s/he sees fit. I'd try to take it up with the owner first. That gives him/her the opportunity to correct the salesperson and/or himself (which would help keep the store from getting a bad rap) and establish goodwill with a potential new customer. Might even show you in a good light, or not. If the owner then blew you off, I think I would try to find an opportunity to let the customer know what's going on to include the better deal down the street.

I've heard steel is bad for AR's, but poking around it seems that it is just hard on extractors which apparently are cheap to replace. Doesn't seem to be that big a deal to mess with. Any other info about why not to shoot steel in a non-chromed chamber?

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Oh the heck with it, tell it like it is. Don't let the guy get hosed by a rip off artist, that's what's wrong with this world and society, to many dang people are willing to sit back and say he should have known what he was getting into or he should have researched it or whatever, hey folks, that's why we are here or supposedly from what I keep hearing from the vast majority of everyone here to help each other out or support one another. I sure will.

It's up to us to teach and instruct those who come after us the way it's suppose to be. If that means you tell this guy he's getting hosed, tell it like it is. If you don't go back there and do business oh well, do it on-line or somewhere else.
    It's a very fine line. I was handling an M&Pc and this guy who was standing near me sat there and kept telling me how glocks are better. Kept going on and on, and while he might have meant well, it annoyed the **** out of me. It happens quite often. I do research, and I know the shortcomings of the firearms I'm buying or considering. I don't need someone's opinions. If there's something I want to know, I'll research it first.

Helping someone is nice, but don't always assume your advice/knowledge is wanted.

I have been in a situation similar, i was buying my sr-9 with a the 17 round mags of course, and over heard another sales person tell a guy that was wanting to buy a Glock that he had to buy one with the 10 round mags cause he was not a l.e.o/military..... a lie. I guess they had some 10 round mag glock packages left over?? I kept my mouth shut, Cause I hate to stereotype but he looked like a gangbanger turning the gun sideways and talking street slang...saying Clips and poppin caps, stuff like that.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm not saying anyone here in particular Retsupt, it just reminds me of why society is the way it is today. I haven't used that word in a while
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    He who refuses to open his eyes, often must open his purse.

As for the steel case part, the store owner is paying rent for the opportunity to do business the way s/he sees fit. I'd try to take it up with the owner first. That gives him/her the opportunity to correct the salesperson and/or himself (which would help keep the store from getting a bad rap) and establish goodwill with a potential new customer. Might even show you in a good light, or not. If the owner then blew you off, I think I would try to find an opportunity to let the customer know what's going on to include the better deal down the street.

I've heard steel is bad for AR's, but poking around it seems that it is just hard on extractors which apparently are cheap to replace. Doesn't seem to be that big a deal to mess with. Any other info about why not to shoot steel in a non-chromed chamber?

I contacted DPMS personally in regards to shooting steel case ammo and they strongly advised against it. Steel on steel is bad and will shorten the life of the barrel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links