Holiday weekend New Gun shooting Report

This is a discussion on Holiday weekend New Gun shooting Report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First off no new Action pics sorry took old ladies camera since dad wasn't up to using the big Canon Digital SLR So off we ...

Thread: Holiday weekend New Gun shooting Report

Holiday weekend New Gun shooting Report

First off no new Action pics sorry took old ladies camera since dad wasn't up to using the big Canon Digital SLR

So off we go started out the right way and started with this bad boy

yes don't start out small go with the 500 S&W work you way down well there was some warm up shots with 350 grain solids then off to the 440's after a cylinder full of them it was time for the shooting gloves those stung.. Couple more cylinders Full and then time to try out these

700 grain 500 and 270 460 loads.

yes that Big hunk of lead sitting there loads into a 500 S&W case that is the 700 grain thumper as you see by above shooting pic the recoil of the 500 is heavy but that pics looks like I'm shooting a 22 compared to the 700's 10 shots of those it was time for a break hand was going numb..

So i did next best thing switch to the 460 The bullet in the above pic that is the tallest thats the 200 grain hornday SST bullet..

Also forgot to say i was shooting both guns with the Lead only comp's in them so no gas was vent straight up on 500 just out the sides and on 460 out the side and with a big port out the front ill try pics later

460 Comp

500 Comp

The heat and concussion from the 200 was UNREAL but it was a pussycat to shoot.. Switch to the 270SAA lead bullet load and boy was it a tame one running about 1000FPS and accurate to didn't have to revamp sights.

After that say box of 200 and box 50 270's we decided to try 700 grains in the 500 again shot 5 more and found out fatigue set in fairly fast as after the last shot the cylinder was free meaning finger came off the trigger enough in recoil to free it up .. looks like 15 is the limit on them ..

Actually i found recoil to be more objectionable with the 440's than the 700. 440's hurt 700 whipped.

So off to the new 41 mag at the time i was shooting it still had wood grips they had to go the hogues made it a lot more comfortable to shoot shame the wood grips are really really nice .

Started bouncing the 210 fullpower loads all over got settled in but shot way way short .. well maybe not full power loads but thats a different discussion on reloading.

So tweak the sights after shooting the 39 vcomp to see if maybe i was just plum worn out and when i could hit 6-8 first time and 8-8 second time at about 50 yards decided the sights on the 41 needed tweaking

Shot a box there and was happy ..

Now for the disappointment of the weekend maybe i was shooting to far out .. Hard to imagine switched to 1911 and walked the bullets in ..

But the new sig 229 SAS i couldn't hit Squat with it never one of the 40's fans i was really disappointed i couldn't even walk the rounds in they came up short every time .. shot a box though it and gave up ..

Pissed me off enough i didn't even bother with a pic for it

http://www.combatcarry.com/gallery/s...=3&userid=1218

ill take it to the range friday i think see how it does there.

On other side note when i can switch to a 38 snub nose and walk the bullets into the target from same shooting spot as the 229 i started 50 yards moved up to 25 with 229 and still couldn't hit .. but i can with a 38 snub with only the pinched frame sights what's up with that?

Well that was the shooting weekend dad wasn't up to shooting at all but went with me and then it got so dang miserable up there we didn't go again 91% with high humidity made the dog get in the lake and sit with me it was so hot..

All the newer pics were a rush job this am sorry back is hurting from lugging 200 pounds of ammo i think

Also here my 2 new KH holster showed up while i was up north one for the 625/357pd

And one that fits the 500 and 460 even with the 460's longer barrel

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    glad ya got out with your dad shooting , cherish thoes times bud
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Hey Bud, have shot a 454, in your opinion how much worse is the recoil on 500. The 454 was a 71/2 inch non ported barrel and recoil on it was stout. A couple of cylinders was it for me. Good looking leather by the way.

On the 454 i had a SRH 7 1/2 the 500 is way less felt recoil even with the 440's .. I shot them side by side last year and preferred as did the other shooter the 500.

Wish i would have taken some 454's to try out in the 460 to see how it handles them but had way to much ammo as it was.

Assistant Administrator
    Thanks for the write-up Bud - altogether pretty good but seems wierd the apparent difficulties with the SIG. No idea why that should be right now.

Must have been as hot with you as here - diabolical and just too much with the humidity.

Good to see the K&D rigs arrived - lovely work as expected.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    glad ya got out with your dad shooting , cherish thoes times bud
    he usually will shoot anything but the super big bore's but this time 22 was to much he is still recovering from surgery on the 8th of april so i didn't expect much .. This is first time he has been more than a hour away from the house had to get DR clearance to go

Your lucky Bud that your Dad shares your intrest, I wish my dad would come shooting with me, but he'd rather play golf...whats up with that? ( smile )

Lead Moderator
    Good write-up Bud.

I see the hat and muffs are the same, but you changed your shirt!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Thumbs up

Hey Bud...You knocking the poor little birds out of their nests again touching off those booming concussion bombs out of yer wheelie blasters?

Nice Report ~ Thanks.
    Soak those hands in some warm water & Epsom Salts.

Glad that your Dad was able to spend some time outside with you.

Rick thats a pic from last year of me shooting it lol

Qk hands actually don't Hurt i thought they would

Links