Considering a Ruger Mark III Target Pistol - Page 2

Considering a Ruger Mark III Target Pistol

This is a discussion on Considering a Ruger Mark III Target Pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a bull-barrel Mk III target pistol a few months ago. I must admit, I thought the overall quality was just OK. The trigger ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a Ruger Mark III Target Pistol

I bought a bull-barrel Mk III target pistol a few months ago. I must admit, I thought the overall quality was just OK. The trigger was very heavy, with tons of creep (easily fixed). Plus, the gun would jam every once in a while (fixed with a Volquartsen extractor).

And I guess I'm still annoyed with Ruger's re-assembly process after take-down for cleaning. Dang, but it's a real PITA. I mean, you get used to it after a few times. But I still don't like it.

My father has one of the original Mk I's. It's probably 30 years old and that gun has never once jammed, as far as I know. Plus, the trigger was good right from the factory, and the fit/finish is noticeably nicer than my new Mk III.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Administrator
    my mk1 and 2 are some of my favorite pistols. I have a 3 22/45 that goes with me to the range every time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We own a MKII and MKIII and I would do it all over again. Reassembly is a PITA when you split the receivers but I just don't do it any more, not necessary. The wifes MKII has had so many rounds through it I had to rebuild it with all new springs and extractor. Runs like a brand new one now and is 100% feed reliable.

My Blued 5" Target MKIII is as accurate as the day is long. At first it was finicky on feeding ammo but a light mag mod fixed that and it has run 100% over several thousand rounds now with not so much a hiccup. Buy one. They are an excellent gun at an excellent value.

Here is a link to the mag tweak if anyone is interested...
    Xavier Thoughts: The MKII Magazine Tweak

Ruger's MK1, MK2 and MK3 pistols are fantastic. I've got an old MK1 that probably has a million rounds through her. Works like a dream. Looks fabulous after the second re-blue!
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

I have a 5.5" bull Barrel 22/45 MK III, with iron sights I'm actually a better shot with my P22, but once I put a red dot on it it has become a lot of fun, it could really use a VQ sear though...
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

a big con is cleaning, taking it apart isnt too bad, but putting it back together is a real pain
    dont let that stop your from buying it though, just be warned!
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    We own a MKII and MKIII and I would do it all over again. Reassembly is a PITA when you split the receivers but I just don't do it any more, not necessary. The wifes MKII has had so many rounds through it I had to rebuild it with all new springs and extractor. Runs like a brand new one now and is 100% feed reliable.

My Blued 5" Target MKIII is as accurate as the day is long. At first it was finicky on feeding ammo but a light mag mod fixed that and it has run 100% over several thousand rounds now with not so much a hiccup. Buy one. They are an excellent gun at an excellent value.

Here is a link to the mag tweak if anyone is interested...
    Xavier Thoughts: The MKII Magazine Tweak
    Thanks for the link. I just took my new MkIII out today for the first time. Just before I left I took the sharp points off of both magazines just to make sure.

I put probably just over 100 rounds through it with not one problem, except one round with did not fire when struck. I ejected the magazine, then the round, then put the round back on top of the magazine, reinserted it, chambered it and it fired on 2nd strike. The first strike was a good hit. I think it had a bad spot on the rim. Ammo problem, not gun problem.

No FTF's or FTE's.

I don't see any problems with the magazine safety on this gun. I can take it or leave it. The LCI on the other hand. I'd rather that they never put it in there in the first place. It hasn't caused me any problems thus far, but I think it was unnecessary.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Get it! You'll soon wonder how you ever got along without it.

I have a Mark II and love it. Once you get the knack up tearing it down for cleaning, it's a pleasure to own and shoot.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I have the MK II with the 10in bull barell and I love it. The only draw back is that its not practical to carry around but you probably wont carry it around anyway. that the only draw back to owning one.

the quiet ruger

i have a mark 3 configured as the awc amphibian suppressed. it's great fun, super quiet and accurate. i did swap out the factory trigger with a volquartsen fcg and trigger is much better. shoots bulk ammo (plated high vel. only recommended). barrel is about 3 inches with rest consisting of the intergal can.

no matter the configuration, i don't think you would go wrong with any of the ruger models.

good luck

My neighbor picked up the MK III Hunter today. He paid $479.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I have a Mark II with the 6 inch tapered barrel. Yesterday, I was hitting a 6" spinner every time at 50 yards, and the 3" spinner about half the time. This is with the stock iron sights.

Shot the neighbors new Mark III Hunter today. We ran about 150 rounds through it. I didn't think I would like the "v" rear sight, but it worked very well. At 25 yards it gouped tight enough to head shoot squirrels. I loved the trigger. The sight mount was way too far to the left and we had to drift it to the right to adjust the sights. Other than that, no problems

Did a heads up comparision with my Ruger Single Six. Accuracy was about the same. Ease of shooting was about the same, even though two different approachs to trigger and sights.

Checked the mega holster link. Looks like there will be a better holster selction for the Single Six. The Trpiple K holster with the mag pouch on the side looks like a good choice for a hunter/plinker. Any holster suggestions.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links