New Patient Form Asked If we Own Firearms

This is a discussion on New Patient Form Asked If we Own Firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Tom357 Simply ignore the question. If it isn't relevant to your medical history, leave no record of an answer of any kind. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Patient Form Asked If we Own Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    Simply ignore the question. If it isn't relevant to your medical history, leave no record of an answer of any kind. Concealed is concealed. Even on paper.
    I know, right!

Why do people get so bent about this?
    Just because someone asks for your SS#, annual salary or how many times you've taken a penny from the community coin jar in life does not mean you have to A) Answer at all or B) Answer truthfully.

Make a choice, A or B, and move on with life & living.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'd use biden's favorite word in telling them it's none of their business.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

A lot of these forms they ask you to fill out are boiler plate.

They are much more interested in how you are going to pay. Not, do you own guns.

I usually leave the personal questions blank. Name, Rank, Serial Number is about it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    If they try to ask that question you might want to remind them under the new "healthcare" legislation just passed it is illegal to ask a question about firearms.

Slate: A Gun-Nut Win On Health Reform

March 24, 2010

Slate: A Gun-Nut Win On Health Reform

(GunReports.com)--A Slate.com item posted by Timothy Noah gave backhanded props to the Gun Owners of America for protecting gun ownership in the healthcare bill.

Slate isn't known for its support of gun rights, and Noah's tone wasn't complimentary about GOA's efforts. He wrote:

"Score one for the Gun Owners of America, a lobby group positioned well to the right of theNational Rifle Association. Last month I described how this fringe group zeroed in on a health reform provision encouraging insurers to reward healthy habits and, by implication, to punish unhealthy ones like smoking and obesity. GOA got it into its head that if health reform were passed, the health and human services secretary would compel insurers to punish gun ownership as an unhealthy lifestyle. Although an adverse health impact (or threat of same) on man or beast is pretty much the whole point of owning a gun, nothing in the bill remotely suggested Congress wanted to wade into these politically treacherous shoals.

"Nonetheless, to pacify GOA, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (who represents the gun-loving state of Nevada) has inserted into his "manager's amendment" a section titled "Protecting 2nd Amendment Gun Rights." It states that no wellness program implemented under health reform may require disclosure or collection of any information relating to gun ownership. Since collecting information about gun ownership was the last thing health reformers wanted to do, this concession represents no particular sacrifice on the government's part.

"But gun owners also won another provision forbidding private insurers participating in the bill's exchanges from charging higher premiums, or denying coverage, or denying wellness discounts on the basis of gun ownership. Unlike the previous section, this one doesn't place a restriction on what government may do. It places a restriction on what the private sector may choose to do on its own. It inhibits that most holy of right-wing sacred cows: free enteprise."

Faint praise indeed, but GOA deserves an attaboy for getting out in front of problems healthcare might cause gunowners.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I'd just answer by writing "When did you cease beating your spouse?"

Only the ones the voices told me to get.

Or better yet, Only the ones the doctor gave me for safe keeping till things calm down.

i think i whould answer "I live in the Bronx, what do you think?" add creepy look and i bet all questions whould stop.

I think I would write; This visit should be free because your intrusion into my personal life just made my blood pressure go up!

Truthfully though, I'd leave it blank, or at most NA!

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Maybe we better get ready for such questions after the heath care passed. "They" want to know, one way or another.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Don't ask, don't tell. We see how well that worked in the past.

Well, maybe not...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    They ask because it is an opportunity to remind people to take care to prevent children from getting their hands on 'em. At least that is what my doc said, and I believe her. She just wanted to remind me to keep them safe if kids are in the house.
    Did she remind you to drive safely through school zones to?
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

My doc's here all know what I am about regarding the 2A. Um they are gunowners and hunters, ect. too. But as far as being drilled about it either on paper or verbally, no it's not happened to me. If I ever was like some are describing here I would have to be very stern with a reply. Our doc's where I live wouldn't buy into this junk. The one's I know are like us. I'll leave it at that.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I used to own guns, but then I lost them all in a tragic boating accident.

VIP Member

re: Mardet

Quote Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    Did she remind you to drive safely through school zones to?
    Actually no, but then why should she? The police do a fine job of making sure I drive safely in school zones.

So different situation.

I'm not offended by the question. As all of the questions on those forms, I am free to put down whatever I like in the way of an answer. I'm free to ignore the question. Nothing is under oath.

I once asked my neighbor lady if she kept a shotgun near her bed? She might have taken offense, she might have lied to me, she chose to answer and say "oh no." Well, she needs one there. I had the opportunity to make the suggestion that she think about it.

So, now let's go back to the doc's office. Would anyone be offended if they asked the question, and when you said no, I don't keep guns in the house, they said---"gee, it is really a good idea to do so for your own protection?"

Yes, I think the question is largely inappropriate, but so what.
    I get asked inappropriate questions by my banker, by credit card issuer, my insurance company, by folks selling things at the door. By political pollsters, by online service companies.

I choose to not live my life perpetually offended by the minutia of life.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links