New Patient Form Asked If we Own Firearms

This is a discussion on New Patient Form Asked If we Own Firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My kids' pediatrician and I had a discussion about guns in the home over a decade ago, when the kids were still wee ones. The ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Patient Form Asked If we Own Firearms

My kids' pediatrician and I had a discussion about guns in the home over a decade ago, when the kids were still wee ones. The doc was actually reasonable about it, and when I invited him to look at child death and injury rates related to back yard swimming pools and 5-gallon buckets (seriously - a real infant-killer), he actually did, prior to our next visit. We agreed that it's a dangerous world out there, and let the gun discussion drop.

As others have suggested, just don't answer that sort of intrusive question.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

It just amazes me at how absurd people have become all in the name of "protecting" us.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Meh. I ignore questions on the new patient forms all the time.

They do not need to know my employer. They do not need to know my marriage status. They do not need to know my social security number. Never been asked about firearms, but they don't need to know that, either.

They get name, address, phone, insurance info, and relevant medical history. I've never been nagged about filling out things I have left blank, and if I ever am, I will go to a different doctor's office.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I used to own guns, but then I lost them all in a tragic boating accident.
    That is becoming quite an epidemic.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

The correct answer is "Why...do you need me to hook you up with a little something-something? You got the scripts, I got the caps...let's deal."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Yes, I think the question is largely inappropriate, but so what.
    I get asked inappropriate questions by my banker, by credit card issuer, my insurance company, by folks selling things at the door. By political pollsters, by online service companies.

I choose to not live my life perpetually offended by the minutia of life.
    The above quote from Hopyard's post makes good sense. I probably would just leave the question blank and not let myself get overheated about it.

When I first retired, I signed up with the VA clinic here in town. Those questions were on the patient paperwork. This was 9 years ago. That was a Federally mandated question for the VA started under Clinton. I don't use the clinic any more. Not necessarily for that reason, but it sure didn't help.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I ignore all questions that are not relevant to my health. If they ask I question their reason for wanting to know relative to my health.

99 % of the time I do not think they even look at the forms.

Actually no, but then why should she? The police do a fine job of making sure I drive safely in school zones.

So different situation.

I'm not offended by the question. As all of the questions on those forms, I am free to put down whatever I like in the way of an answer. I'm free to ignore the question. Nothing is under oath.

I once asked my neighbor lady if she kept a shotgun near her bed? She might have taken offense, she might have lied to me, she chose to answer and say "oh no." Well, she needs one there. I had the opportunity to make the suggestion that she think about it.

So, now let's go back to the doc's office. Would anyone be offended if they asked the question, and when you said no, I don't keep guns in the house, they said---"gee, it is really a good idea to do so for your own protection?"

Yes, I think the question is largely inappropriate, but so what.
    I get asked inappropriate questions by my banker, by credit card issuer, my insurance company, by folks selling things at the door. By political pollsters, by online service companies.

I choose to not live my life perpetually offended by the minutia of life.
    I never said anything about being offended. It's simply none of your Doctors business whether you have guns or not. Why would she be concerned enough to ask about guns in your home rather than say knives. She didn't seem to be concerned that a child in your home might be cut severely.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

They ask because it is an opportunity to remind people to take care to prevent children from getting their hands on 'em. At least that is what my doc said, and I believe her. She just wanted to remind me to keep them safe if kids are in the house.
    Statistically, there are far greater threats to children's lives in homes than firearms. Swimming pools, for example, kill more children than guns do. I bet they didn't ask if you had a pool. lol

All the cutesy answers may make you feel good, but they all scream YES and if the doc IS keeping the info they will record it as such.

I have absolutely no reservations about LIEING to anyone invading my privacy rather than giving an answer that indirectly gives the real answer. When asked for SS# if I do not see the need I put down random numbers, I answer the opposite to yes/no questions I do not see the need for. Any question I do not see the need for gets a false answer that could be real.

VIP Member

re: Maltz

Quote Originally Posted by Maltz View Post
    Statistically, there are far greater threats to children's lives in homes than firearms. Swimming pools, for example, kill more children than guns do. I bet they didn't ask if you had a pool. lol
    So?

Options. Don't answer. Lie. Find another doc. Patient's choice.

I'm sure there would be folks who would get offended if asked if they had a pool, or asked if they had a tv, or asked some other irrelevant absurd question.

Statistical chances of accidents aside, I'm not offended if someone wants to remind me to hide my guns when kids are around.

I wouldn't be offended if someone wanted to remind me to keep the gate around my (nonexistent) swimming pool locked when kids are around.

Life's too short. These are little deals, not big deals.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    If you don't want people to know, just lie, or if there are a bunch of similar questions leave them all blank.

I've never seen anything like that myself...usually it is just list previous medical conditions, allergies, etc.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Not only did my doctor want to know if there were any guns, and if they were locked up, but also how many were in the house. I said not enough.

I just wouldn't answer it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links