Gun Magazines - The paper kind!

This is a discussion on Gun Magazines - The paper kind! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was looking into getting a new magazine subscription, so that i may have reading material for the best seat in the house. I recently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Magazines - The paper kind!

Gun Magazines - The paper kind!

I was looking into getting a new magazine subscription, so that i may have reading material for the best seat in the house.

I recently let my subscription to Sports Illustrated expire, as their stories and articles just don't do it for me anymore. I'm not a golfer, so 90 pages about golf, and 40 pages of all the other sports does not excite me.

Does anyone know of a good, informative, interesting gun magazine i could subscribe to? I do receive American Rifleman as a member of the NRA, but I've found it to be very small, usually finish it within a few days.

I also just received an offer for 12 issues of "Guns" magazine for $9.98, but I've never read them before.

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Gratzi.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

2. Remove Ads

Ahh memories of dads stacks of GUNS AND AMMO magazines...

I don't subscribe to any personally, except American Rifleman of course.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

American Rifleman and Outdoor Life.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Years ago (prior to the internet) these magazines were much more objective. Now, they seem to write more favorable reviews for the manufactures who advertise with them.

When there "reviews" started to become nothing more than sales pitches, thats when I let my subscriptions expire.

I was however, partial to the ones who focused on handguns and SD ammo.

I guess they would still be good for special seating reading.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Guns and Ammo seems to have the more interesting and informative articles for me. Just got another subscription to it myself.
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

American Rifleman, The Glock Report (GSSF), and Front Sight (USPSA) are my current subscriptions. I pick up what catches my eye at the magazine stand wherever I go usually, but the best subscription I've ever taken that was worth the money for me was ShotGun news. It kept me up to date on prices, and the periodicals and features were well worth the price. The other magazines were hit and miss on subjects that interest me. That's why I'd rather search the magazine rack than be subscribed to a trash generator, or cluttering up the house with old mags that I'll never read.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Invest in a laptop... Then you can be on DC

Go buy Standard Catalog Of Firearms or Standard Catalog Of Military Firearms. Not a magazine, but a price guide book. Still, it's full of hundreds of firearms with descriptions and hours upon hours of reading and rereading. Better than any magazine.

VIP Member
    Signup for the free digital subscriptions to Guns and American Handgunner. Then spend your money on other books or mags. Click on the FREE: Sign Up For Digital Subscription link.

Welcome to GUNS Magazine

Welcome to American Handgunner

If you click on the link to read the current issue and then choose the Archive link when you get there you can download earlier digital copies in pdf format.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I'll switch from Sports Ill to the American Rifleman when they do a swimsuit edition...
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I prefer Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, and Combat Handguns, and also SWAT. They all have very useful articles for even non-LEO. Very well written with authors such as Massad Ayoob, and Dave Spaulding.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

American Handgunner... far and away the best periodical in terms of stories, collection of talented and experienced writers, and editorial content. Taffin is a former English teacher and actually knows how to use the English language, editor Huntington and contributors Ayoob, Connor, Reese and others either are or have been sworn LEOs, gunsmith Hamilton is not only talented with firearms but has masters degrees in finance and business, and JD Jones should not need any introduction if you know what a Contender is.

Combat Handguns
    is amusing but the articles are pretty lightweight, and Guns & Ammo never met a gun that they didn't like (which is why Venturino left them).

I also buy SWAT magazine on the newsstand (met the publisher and know some of the frequent contributors, so I feel I'm helping them out) and subscribe to American Hunter and Gun tests.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Last year, for the first time ever, I started buying them off the magazine racks, to study and share with my gun buddy for free, after being bought by me. No, I am not influenced by those pretty pictures and wise advertisements, not that a man can ever buy or have enough gun stuff; nor can you can stop us sane sensible shoppers. I mean, who needs new boots or shoes when you really need a new pretty leather holster instead?

The website where I found this is down, so I'll try to quote it:

"The five point rating system used by gun magazines:

1. This gun is fantastic.
    2. This gun is fantastic.
    3. This gun is fantastic.
    4. This gun will change the universe.
    5. This gun, with the addition of a tactical cigar, would be the best
    gun ever!"

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    American Handgunner... far and away the best periodical in terms of stories, collection of talented and experienced writers, and editorial content. Taffin is a former English teacher and actually knows how to use the English language, editor Huntington and contributors Ayoob, Connor, Reese and others either are or have been sworn LEOs, gunsmith Hamilton is not only talented with firearms but has masters degrees in finance and business, and JD Jones should not need any introduction if you know what a Contender is.

Combat Handguns
    is amusing but the articles are pretty lightweight, and Guns & Ammo never met a gun that they didn't like (which is why Venturino left them).

I also buy SWAT magazine on the newsstand (met the publisher and know some of the frequent contributors, so I feel I'm helping them out) and subscribe to American Hunter and Gun tests.
    I have to agree 100% about American Handgunner. And if I ever see another Boddington safari story I think I'll blow chunks through my nose.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links